Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: What 4x game are you most looking forward to?  (Read 5997 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: June 23, 2021, 04:20:09 AM
Despite the frustrating lack of info, Distant Worlds 2 remains at the top of my most-wanted list.  If there's any one game that can rival -- or surpass -- Stellaris' "living galaxy" feeling that I so crave, then DW2 is definitely it. 

The Master of Magic remake is a close second for me.  I've always wanted to try this one, but have found the original difficult to get into.  And as I have mentioned before, I badly need -- NEED, dang it! -- a new fantasy 4x (even if this isn't "new", per se). 

Galactic Civilizations IV is another one I'm keeping a close eye on.  Still needs lots of fleshing out -- not surprising, given that they've just entered alpha -- but it shows a lot of promise.  It's nice to see Stardock being a bit more innovative with their design this time around. 

Not yet announced:  Horizon 2.  This one has been in the slow-cooker for a few years now; and while I devoutly hope we'll see *something* before Christmastime, I suspect that realistically it won't be until 2022 that we get any real news.  I haven't got into the original game as much as Anguille as, but there are definitely aspects of it that I like and/or appreciate, and am very much looking forward to seeing what the sequel brings. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 05:01:57 AM
Being a 4x addict, i am pretty sure i'll get all of them.... :whistle:

That being said, Horizon 2 is on the top of my list: turn-based, good diplomacy, tactical combat, multiple research, unique travel technique used in game (but no starlanes) being some of the key features that make it my number one. As Martok said, i don't think it's going to make the cut for 2021.

Distant Worlds 2 is a close follow-up and hope they can improve on the graphics and UI before it's released.

Galactic Civilization 4 is going to be another big game and i like the fact that Brad opened the game so soon so they will integrate all the feedback. (official release is only 2022).

I think we should still mention Lord of Rigel....progress is very slow but i am pretty sure it's going to be released at some point (but not 2021 either).

So for 2021, it's going to be Distant Worlds 2 and Humankind for me. I am still waiting for Old World to come to steam.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 06:25:22 AM
I’ve gone for other - DW2 maybe the space opus I’m looking for but having not played the first I don’t know about it’s mechanics

I like the look of terra invicta and also falling frontier

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:44:06 AM
I’ve gone for other - DW2 maybe the space opus I’m looking for but having not played the first I don’t know about it’s mechanics

Falling frontier looks good. Reminds me of Haegemonia. Not sure if Terra invicta and Falling frontier can be counted as 4x games though.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:11:20 AM
Humankind. The Civilization series needs more competition and I hope Humankind is the beginning of that.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:23:34 AM
Humankind. The Civilization series needs more competition and I hope Humankind is the beginning of that.
Yeah, it's been too long coming.

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:15:48 PM
Looking forward to DW2 [unless it's already out? I'm out of the loop these days so forgive the ignorance]

I also have Falling Frontier on my wishlist. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:01:25 PM
I voted DW2, but looking forward to Humankind.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 06:59:09 PM
Argh; forgot to add the MoM remake to the poll. :doh:  Fixed. 

Being a 4x addict, i am pretty sure i'll get all of them.... :whistle:

I know I'll get most of them. 

The two big questions marks for me are Old World and Humankind -- the former, because I'm not getting it unless & until it becomes available on Steam, and the latter because I'm just not convinced it's the Civ-type game I'm looking for (although I do have hopes for it). 

I think we should still mention Lord of Rigel....progress is very slow but i am pretty sure it's going to be released at some point (but not 2021 either).

It's been so long since we've heard anything on that one, that I'd kinda forgotten about it.  Last I'd heard, the devs were planning an Early-Access release for later this year, but I'm skeptical.  I suspect you're correct that we won't see anything until 2022. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:02:05 PM

Falling frontier looks good. Reminds me of Haegemonia. Not sure if Terra invicta and Falling frontier can be counted as 4x games though.

Yeah, Terra Invicta comes across as more of a grand-strategy game, and Falling Frontier looks like an RTS.  I don't think Terra Invicta is the game for me, but I am interested in Falling Frontiers. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:44:00 PM
Humankind - despite the title - which I think is terrible and reminds me of George Costanza’s fake charity The Human Fund in Seinfeld.

That said, the civilization customization in Humankind looks great, sort of like customizing a player’s character in an RPG. I really hope Amplitude puts the same production values, slick veneer and love into this they have in the Endless games.  If they do, Humankind will be a true winner and I hope to play hundreds of hours of it...many more than I have Civ VI, which I do not like much.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 08:01:30 PM
I really hope Amplitude puts the same production values, slick veneer and love into this they have in the Endless games.  If they do, Humankind will be a true winner and I hope to play hundreds of hours of it...many more than I have Civ VI, which I do not like much.

Amplitude has said Humankind is the game they've building towards making all along -- the Endless games were, to some degree, proof-of-concepts for them.  Given that, I would imagine they're putting forth all their skill & experience into this one.  Fingers crossed it turns out well.  :) 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 08:16:00 PM

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 08:59:47 AM
Let's form a prayer circle.

Always do what you feel is best.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 02:31:08 PM
DW2 but I still need play a complete game of Civ 6.