Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: What 4x game are you most looking forward to?  (Read 6575 times)

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 10:51:35 PM
Most/all of them?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 01:07:59 AM
DW2

Hopefully just a few more months...! 

but I still need play a complete game of Civ 6.

Do you really, though?  :whistle:

Most/all of them?

Well, yes; that almost goes without saying.  :P  There's not one that you're particularly chomping at the bit for, though? 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 08:34:39 PM
I am attempting to trying adulting in my gaming habits and complete a game/campaign in the new games I purchase. Of course, I have already fallen behind the power curve on this goal. CIV 6, WHTW2 and now Battletech and Grim Dawn.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 10:07:30 PM
Adulting is overrated.

Always do what you feel is best.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 11:12:02 PM
It is for sure.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 12:53:32 PM
Anyone played Horizon and liked it? If you didn't like it, what should be changed in Horizon 2 (the game will be fairly different anyway)?

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 03:28:43 PM
I think I've mentioned it before, but there are some aspects of the UI I'm not overly fond of, especially regarding ship movement on the galaxy map.  (On the other hand, I do appreciate the tooltips; I think it's one of the earliest games I've seen to make extensive use of them.) 

Moreover, I've always found combat to be clunky and unintuitive.  It felt like there was probably a decent system lurking somewhere underneath, but I've never been able to get a handle on it. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 08:14:45 AM
I think I've mentioned it before, but there are some aspects of the UI I'm not overly fond of, especially regarding ship movement on the galaxy map.  (On the other hand, I do appreciate the tooltips; I think it's one of the earliest games I've seen to make extensive use of them.) 
The UI will be totaly new for Horizon 2. On the other hand, did you know you can just make a right click to move a ship or a fleet? No need to go in the sub-menu for ships.

Moreover, I've always found combat to be clunky and unintuitive.  It felt like there was probably a decent system lurking somewhere underneath, but I've never been able to get a handle on it.
This was improved in patches and all the battles start when ships are fairly close to one another. But again, this is going to be different in Horizon 2.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 09:21:36 AM
The two things I didn't care much for were the UI and the technology tree. Good to hear that the UI will be new. Hopefully the tech tree will change as well. I didn't care much for the 'increasing number' of a tech to make it better. It kills immersion.

That said, I do like Horizon and am looking forward to see what Horizon 2 will bring. OH, and the ability to mod the game is also a huge plus.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 09:50:16 AM
I keep leaning towards 'Age of Wonders Plantefall' but read so many negative comments about it that it keeps putting me off.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #25 on: July 02, 2021, 02:48:20 AM
On the other hand, did you know you can just make a right click to move a ship or a fleet? No need to go in the sub-menu for ships.

I did, in fact.  That might actually what I had the biggest issue with, as it was often tricky to move ships to nearby star systems (due to how ships are displayed). 

In any case, however, I know this is something that will be improved in Horizon 2 (as you mentioned), so I'm not terribly concerned about it. 

This was improved in patches and all the battles start when ships are fairly close to one another.

I still found them clunky and rather difficult to manage even after all the updates.  (Bear in mind the majority of of my time playing Horizon came *after* the devs were done patching the game.)  Again, however, I'm aware combat is another feature being improved/overhauled for the sequel. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 03:25:31 AM
I keep leaning towards 'Age of Wonders Plantefall' but read so many negative comments about it that it keeps putting me off.

It's not my personal cup of tea, but I definitely don't think it's a bad game.  My main critiques of Planetfall are that it's too heavily focused on war and the tactical battles (the latter start to feel repetitive after a while); and that the empire-management side is (at times) overly-complex to hide its lack of depth.  That's just my own take, however. 

Truth be told (to play devil's advocate), Planetfall does a lot of things well:  Diverse factions/races, pretty cool unit rosters for each, the in-game "mods" allow for wide variation in how you spec your units, interesting lore, a high degree of replayability, nice visuals & art style, the excellent tactical combat system (even if it's over-used), solid production values, and a high degree of polish that has left relatively few bugs. 

Bear in mind, too, that Planetfall has solid scores amongst both players and "professional" reviewers, and has clearly sold at least reasonably well (else Triumph wouldn't have continued to make DLC for it, regardless of Paradox's business model), so it must be doing *something* right.  Whether those "something's" are what you're looking for in a 4x/strategy game, however, largely depends on what appeals to you.  ;) 

MelanieHilli

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 01:10:21 PM
Hello, gamers! Well, I liked the Master Of Magic remake. At the same time, according to alpha and beta test reviews, I find the Galactic Civilizations game will be really bad. Only Horizon 2 is looking really good for me, and I think this game can be one of the best games in 2022. It also needs to be mentioned that the last operations in the CS: GO game are really good, making this game really better, especially what you can link removed just playing this game.

Moderator Action:
Spam link removed. Next spam link will get you removed as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 02:09:59 PM by bbmike »