Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: That Others May Live (Hollandspiele)  (Read 2947 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: August 29, 2023, 01:24:08 PM
A second title from designer Brad Smith (whom previously designed NATO Air Commander, which is a lot of fun), just came out with a new one - That Others May Live: Combat Search and Rescue – Vietnam.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/395200/others-may-live-combat-search-and-rescue-vietnam

That Others May Live is a solitaire card-driven wargame about Combat Search and Rescue during the Vietnam War. The player takes on the role of a CSAR commander tasked with the rescue of downed American aircrew in North Vietnam and Laos.

To conduct a successful mission, you'll need to harness the unique abilities of the rescue-dedicated aircraft under your command. These include A-1 Skyraiders, HH-53 Jolly Green Giant rescue helos, and an O-2 Skymaster Forward Air Controller.

Action cards are used to direct aircraft to troll for enemy fire and deploy ordnance such as smoke, CS gas, cluster munitions, and napalm. Command cards can be used to call in fast moving aircraft and exfiltration teams. Event cards may complicate or ease a rescue. Pilot & Parajumper cards can be assigned to aircraft to reflect unique abilities.

Hidden enemies are placed on the map and may be revealed by player actions. A variety of NVA anti-aircraft guns attempt to destroy your incoming rescue aircraft and must be effectively suppressed before sending in your rescue helicopters.

The game includes a base standard scenario, four historical scenarios, and a mini-campaign. Optional rules are provided to vary the difficulty level and provide added realism.

It's solo only (as far as I can tell), so you non-solo malaccas are going to miss out ;)

I just ordered my copy, so I'll see this in a few weeks. The subject matter looks pretty awesome.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)