Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The PODCAST now known as "Mentioned in Dispatches" !  (Read 192540 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #210 on: September 20, 2019, 10:05:40 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

tuna

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
Reply #211 on: September 20, 2019, 10:44:14 AM
Listening now, since really slow day at work and wfh!

Great episode!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:37:42 PM by tuna »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #212 on: September 24, 2019, 05:45:59 PM
What the heck happened? Jim seems generally happy and mirth isn’t drunk? Just strange.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #213 on: September 24, 2019, 06:02:41 PM
I was drunk. Just less drunk.

I can't account for Jim's happiness.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Adam

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #214 on: September 24, 2019, 09:14:44 PM
It's a common refrain by podcast hosts or guests to comment on how the podcast is "running long" which might try the attention span of the podcast listener.  As an avid podcast and audobook listener, I can tell you that no podcast is too long -- if I run out of time to listen, I just pause and pick back up at a later time.  Indeed, I rarely finish a podcast in a single sitting.  As such, I would encourage you to go for as long as you have time / have something interesting to say. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #215 on: September 24, 2019, 09:19:25 PM
 :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #216 on: September 24, 2019, 09:29:55 PM
It's a common refrain by podcast hosts or guests to comment on how the podcast is "running long" which might try the attention span of the podcast listener.  As an avid podcast and audobook listener, I can tell you that no podcast is too long -- if I run out of time to listen, I just pause and pick back up at a later time.  Indeed, I rarely finish a podcast in a single sitting.  As such, I would encourage you to go for as long as you have time / have something interesting to say.

That's a good point. However, insofar as producing podcasts is concerned, it can take an exponential amount of hours for each hour to edit down, depending on how detailed/clean you want the recording to be. An hour is generally doable editing-wise in a single sitting.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Adam

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
Reply #217 on: September 24, 2019, 11:54:50 PM

That's a good point. However, insofar as producing podcasts is concerned, it can take an exponential amount of hours for each hour to edit down, depending on how detailed/clean you want the recording to be. An hour is generally doable editing-wise in a single sitting.

Ya, I kind of figured that might be the case.  Or perhaps it might be shorthand for either, "I'm tired of talking to you guys" or "I've run out of things to say."  Either way, don't blame the listener as I'll keep happily listening  :)

jack nastyface

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #218 on: September 25, 2019, 12:43:20 AM
Gentlemen,

Further to comments made in Mentioned in Dispatches S3E2 I Know What You Played Last Summer regarding skirmish level games in the black-powder era...

While I acknowledge that episodes such as the storming of the great redoubt at Borodino, the guards charge at Waterloo, or even the smaller-yet-no-less-gripping breaking of the french squares by the King's German Legion at Garcia Hernandez, is where - and how - history is made, I am forever drawn to the countless small unit actions between handfuls of men that occur along scouting patrols, skirmish lines, rear guard actions, cutting out actions, and foraging missions.

Personally, I blame the literature of my youth:  C.S. Forester (Death to the French aka Rifleman Dodd, The Gun, all of the cutting out scenes from Horatio Hornblower), Bernard Cornwell (the first three Sharpe books were published during my most impressionable years - grades 10, 11 and 12), and The Seven Men of Gascony, a tropey-but-delightful  book I picked up at a second hand store.

As a result, I have been forever (well...since my teen years, which is close to forever ago) dedicated to skirmish level games of this era.  Few rule sets have been offered along the way.  The mentioned man-to-man skirmish rules in The Dragon magazine was one such example.  Others came from the few RPG's that focus on that, or nearby eras, such as Privateers and Gentlemen, GURPS Napoleonics, Skull and Crossbones (close enough!), and modified Gunslinger, to name a few.  Recently, I have invested in Green Jackets and Voltigeurs (battlefield designs) and more recently, Song of Drums and Shakos by Ganesha games.  Although I am aware that most Napoleonic gamers prefer grand battles, I have found much delight in watching your Friday Night Fights games featuring Sharpe Practice.  I look forward to future engagements, and would love to see you try any of the other "small unit action" rules suitable for this era.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:03:55 PM by jack nastyface »

Check 6!

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #219 on: September 26, 2019, 05:28:10 PM
What the heck happened? Jim seems generally happy and mirth isn’t drunk? Just strange.

The cranky comes all too inevitably and naturally these days.  It can't last...

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #220 on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:37 PM
Although I am aware that most Napoleonic gamers prefer grand battles, I have found much delight in watching your Friday Night Fights games featuring Sharpe Practice.  I look forward to future engagements, and would love to see you try any of the other "small unit action" rules suitable for this era.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface

We've actually had at one other skirmish Napoleonic game -- using "Rebels and Patriots".

I love, love, love SP2 and will eventually come back to both Napoleonics and ACW -- promised Jason that 100 years ago.

Just so many other wonderful games to play.

To be clear, though, I feel about them kind of the same way I feel about the whole "what is a wargame" debate, viz.:  I don't think skirmish games are a particularly good way to simulate Napoleonic warfare -- though they can get some things correct -- but they are a blast, especially, as you say, from a narrative perspective.

Oh, and I've got a "SoDS" module hidden away on TTS too :).

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #221 on: September 27, 2019, 03:27:16 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #222 on: October 04, 2019, 07:53:05 AM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #223 on: October 04, 2019, 08:11:30 AM
Dang, now I'm two episodes behind.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #224 on: October 04, 2019, 08:12:09 AM
Dang, now I'm two episodes behind.

You should be ON an episode!  :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners