Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 29676 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #135 on: September 17, 2021, 05:10:33 AM
Ok, so my turn again at restoring glory to the Elven empire. This is a great new scenario called fog of war - you have to secretly name a piece of scenery in the opponents half you want to capture, a hero of yours to keep alive and a hero of his to kill - I choose to kill the Dragon Knight, the weakest of his heroes, to take a ruin on his half and to keep Erestor alive

Here we go - 12 warriors to the left, 12 archers to the right, 12 warriors in the distance on the right, the left is led by the Elf captain, the archers led by Elrond bestowing his archery bonus on them and in the distance Erestor and Arwen leading the warriors.

We're 40 models versus 12, but 12 elite units, 3 chariots, Khamul on fell beast, the dragon knight, Amdul, and 6 cavalry

Heres Elrond directing the fire onto the chariots in the distance - 3s to hit (rerolling misses from Elronds bonus), 1-4 hits chariot 5-6 hits rider, 6 to wound either. The chariots are evil they can hit you on their move, every figure coming into contact with the chariot takes 2 strength 4 hits, so basically charge toward me, hit every man and roll 2 dice, get a a five on either, mans dead, keep moving, wash rinse, repeat until 10 inch move is over or you dont get a 5 - its possible to roll through a line of goblins if you come in perpendicular to the line up - and when all thats done, you get attacked by the rider in the combat phase - honestly - total bastards - so we arrow him - first round of shooting inflicts 2 wounds on the chariot out of 3 and misses the driver - he'll go down next turn

Blurry in the back ground, the fell beast has just landed next to Arwen - both Arwen and Elrond have a spell called Wrath of Bruinen (the one seen with the racing horses in the river that Arwen casts to wash away the Nazghul defending Sam) this knocks everything prone and off its horse so Timmy is terrified of it and has gone for Arwen, with her in combat she cant cast her spell but her father is 10 inches away, capable of rushing in and casting his

BUT Timmy casts transfix on Elrond trapping him away from the fight, Elrond rolls poorly to dispell it and uses all his might to increase the dice to get into the fight. Now in the fight he rolls poorly to cast his own spell and that is easily dispelled by the Nazghul and Elrond has no might left to affect the dice - so Elrond and Arwen are in the fight but no spell knocks the riders off - its going to be tough

Here come the chariots - who by the way are immune to Wrath of Bruinen and the terror that Elrond and Erestor naturally cast  ::)

This is the remainder of the Easterling army - Amdur, Dragon Knight, a rider and Khamul on fell beast - after chewing through 24 warriors, Elrond, Erestor and Arwen they find themselves in a bit of a quandry

Because ive put my archers here and he cant dismount to attack them - the chariots cant get them and the cavalry cant either - the Elves are broken because theyve lost 50% of their force so on a 1 or a 2 the game ends but the game rolls on and on and i can effectively just snipe the characters - i will win eventually but that doesnt seem to be in the spirit of the game

in the end i get points for owning the ruin and wounding his hero (last arrow of the day), he gets points for killing erestor, keeping the Dragon knight alive, owning the watch tower and breaking me - he winds because im gracious - i would have killed him by arrows eventually

All in all im still not impressed with the elves - they are the elite warriors in the game, the space marines so to speak, but ive beaten this force with Angmar a few times and the orcs are weaker and have lower defence - its either poor dice or poor tactics - next week Timmy wants to try an Elf list and well finally decide if elves are overrated or we're crap at elves!!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #136 on: September 17, 2021, 07:25:27 AM
 :2thumbs:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #137 on: September 17, 2021, 10:20:48 AM
12 warriors to the left, 12 archers to the right,

🎶  Here I am / stuck in the middle with you... 🎶

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #138 on: September 17, 2021, 11:33:22 AM
 :bigthumb:

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #139 on: September 17, 2021, 07:03:01 PM
Nice write up. I am curious if you all can get the elves to perform better. They are on the top of my list for a future army.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #140 on: September 17, 2021, 07:17:10 PM
Nice write up. I am curious if you all can get the elves to perform better. They are on the top of my list for a future army.

I’d love to love them bison - you feel you’ve taken a real killer force and then it gets ploughed down by your opponent - there is always the possibility that Tim just plays in a way that doesn’t complement their style - they are famed shooters - Tim’s army can close that gap in one turn and shut that down, there are no huge strength monsters to counter his heroes - whichever the objectives are and goals of the scenario he will always come charging across the field and stampede the force in no more than 2 turns - now that might be me because I keep my armies in traditional blocks - 2 deep six wide like fantasy battle - fodder for chariots - my azog force will be Beserkers and Hunter orcs who just skirmish and charge, this might be a harder force with trolls and ogres  - the troll brute doing exactly what a chariot does but inflicting 1 s10 hit on everything it touches 

I may sit down in front of another player and see the elves destroy all in their path

We’ll see

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #141 on: September 17, 2021, 07:22:14 PM
Is the cardboard terrain from Battle Systems? 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #142 on: September 17, 2021, 07:32:23 PM
What is the reasoning for having no cavalry with the elf force? Points?

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #143 on: September 17, 2021, 08:43:47 PM
I tried an all knight force against this army and it was a bloodbath - plus he has no foot troops so their bonus is lost and lastly yeah the points 23 for a knight 11 for a warrior

Although cavalry is great i find particularly with elves with spear support their fight is higher and defence is higher and attacks the same as a charge I’d rather have the numbers - it’ll comes down to the math and how many dice you can roll

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #144 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:25 PM
Is the cardboard terrain from Battle Systems?

It’s the clubs SDR but I’m sure that’s where they got it

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #145 on: September 17, 2021, 11:40:29 PM
I tried an all knight force against this army and it was a bloodbath - plus he has no foot troops so their bonus is lost and lastly yeah the points 23 for a knight 11 for a warrior

Although cavalry is great i find particularly with elves with spear support their fight is higher and defence is higher and attacks the same as a charge I’d rather have the numbers - it’ll comes down to the math and how many dice you can roll

Makes sense.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #146 on: October 09, 2021, 10:43:47 AM
A couple of weeks later and a couple of battles later - the Elf situation has resolved itself, they have been dispatched to ebay land for a handsome profit, thats Mordor and Rivendell now off the shelves leaving Angmar and Azogs legion - i have split his army into Gundabad and Hunter Orcs - The hunters are awesome, two attacks because theyre crazy, like the beserkers in the gundabad section. The hunters are unpainted but this is the Gundabad side of things

heres the new ogres

and the grim troll brute

Slowly building an iron hills dwarf list and then that should be it

In the meantime another 2 orders for Badgers and Burrows have come in and these little 'villagers' are ready to dispatch

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #147 on: October 09, 2021, 11:08:51 AM
Those are awesome  :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #148 on: October 09, 2021, 12:03:04 PM
The Grim Brute Troll is awesome.

I am a bit disappointed you found the Rivendell faction so non-competitive during club games. Mostly because it's one of the armies I am looking to eventually build because I really like their sculpts and I want them to be awesome. However, I think my plastic pile is gaining a new game addition in a couple of days.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 12:07:21 PM by Bison »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #149 on: October 09, 2021, 01:39:48 PM
Oooo what’s coming?