Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Procedural Combat Series  (Read 1171 times)

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
on: December 18, 2023, 01:44:07 PM
2022: Ukraine is inbound to be played between the holidays. Might be time to create a 2023 scenario ...

I also already own 1950: Forgotten War from CSL's Procedural Combat Series, which I like a lot.

What are your experiences and thoughts on the system and/or game?

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 02:31:51 PM
2022: Ukraine is inbound to be played between the holidays. Might be time to create a 2023 scenario ...

I also already own 1950: Forgotten War from CSL's Procedural Combat Series, which I like a lot.

I have and have read thru 1995, but have barely played it.  I should probably get it back to the table soon

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 04:48:59 PM

I'll be honest - I've never played them. I know they are barely, if at all, playtested. The game designer's personal life is such a mess, and so often broadcast all over Facebook, that I have steered clear of his games.

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 06:31:04 PM
I am aware. They are getting better (and updated), though. 1950 was well done, graphics and rule books evolve.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 06:49:14 PM by LetsPlayHistory »

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 10:56:44 AM
Punching counters, I have found some discrepancies to the historical invasion, which is due to the fact that the OOB and deployment areas were based on early intel. Even now it is still somewhat difficult to precisely say which units and formations where deployed where to which degree, especially for Russian units. Even with geospotting and all that.

Anyway, I have been in touch with Ray and he was eager, as was already stated in the rulebook, to get the scenario updated. So I did some deep digging and talked to some folks who know a little more about the conflict than I do. Here is the corrected OOB based on the findings (beware, it might still be not a 100% correct) with suggested initial deployment/entry hexes for a historical 2022 scenario. Ray is planning to update the files in February. I'll let you know, once they are sent to Blue Panther.

Meanwhile, you may take a look at it, use it or suggest changes: 2022: Ukraine Historical Deployments

Cheers!

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 12:13:01 PM
I'll let you know, once they are sent to Blue Panther.

This files will not be going to Blue Panther.  I'm not sure who Ray is using any more, but he and Blue Panther had a very acrimonious split in the Spring of 2022, and Steve at BP has said he will never have anything to do with Ray ever again.

I don't know (or care to know) all the details, but I know they are {taylor swift}🎶never, ever, ever getting back together🎶{/taylor swift}

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
    • Let's Play History
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 12:51:00 PM
I see. And I was already wondering why the game didn't come with the awesome BP counters. Anyway. When they go to the printer, you will know.