Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: ASL Lovers...why ASL?  (Read 23077 times)

judgedredd

Reply #75 on: January 03, 2023, 05:41:57 PM
I really struggle to get into TTS. I've tried - but I find it very cumbersome.

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #76 on: January 04, 2023, 12:54:07 AM
And now the entire mess is available on Tabletop Simulator on Steam. Every map, every counter ever made. You just need the rules.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2909647060
Hoi as what about these-? ""S.L. News"" <--'click' that'
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 01:09:31 AM by GROGnadsUSA »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #77 on: January 31, 2023, 08:45:52 AM
 :cowboy:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #78 on: January 31, 2023, 09:41:35 AM
Abbreviated version.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Rekim

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 12:49:43 PM
It's a good time to be an ASL player, with many new products in the pipeline and numerous 3rd party publishers cranking out the hits. What's not to love.

As per usual, MMP is setting the bar high for 2023;

MMP 2023 Production Forecast
Here is the MMP Anticipated 2023 Production List, released January 29, 2023:

Advanced Squad Leader

- The Winter Offensive Bonus Pack #14 (2023) has been released;
- The Sainte-Mère-Église HASL is shipping to preorders;
- The Marco Polo Bridge HASL will go on preorder;
- ASL Journal 14 will be released 1st quarter;
- Ponyri HASL will go on preorder;
- Contested Lands module (1948 Arab-Israeli conflict) will go on  preorder;
- A reprint of Armies of Oblivion will go on preorder;
- We are working on a reprint of Solitaire ASL;
- Doomed Battalions will go on reprint;
- Twilight of the Reich, a boxed ASL module, will go on preorder.

ASL Starter Kit

- ASLSK Marco Polo Bridge HASL will go on preorder. Ownership of ASLSK4 will be required to play;
- An ASLSK magazine should be released;
- ASLSK Expansion Pack 3 will be released.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #80 on: March 09, 2023, 11:19:28 AM
Just on a lark, I asked Chat GPT to give us a some reviews of ASL

write an extended critical review of the advanced squad leader boardgame that compares the mechanics to other tabletop wargames

Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is a tactical wargame that was first published in 1985 by Avalon Hill. It is a popular game that has been enjoyed by many gamers for its depth, complexity, and historical accuracy. ASL is considered one of the most comprehensive and realistic World War II tactical games on the market, and it has gained a dedicated following over the years. In this review, I will compare the mechanics of ASL to other tabletop wargames and discuss its strengths and weaknesses.

ASL is a hex and counter game that simulates tactical combat during World War II. It covers infantry, armor, artillery, and other aspects of warfare, and it is known for its historical accuracy and attention to detail. The game is played on a large board, and players move their pieces around the board to engage in combat with the enemy. ASL has a variety of scenarios, each with different objectives and victory conditions.

One of the strengths of ASL is its complexity. It is a deep and challenging game that requires careful planning, strategic thinking, and a thorough understanding of the rules. The game has a large rulebook, and players must learn a lot of different mechanics to play effectively. This can be intimidating for new players, but it also adds to the game's depth and replayability.

ASL's mechanics are very detailed, and they simulate many different aspects of combat. For example, the game models the effects of terrain, weather, and morale on combat. It also has rules for different types of weapons, such as tanks, machine guns, and grenades. ASL's combat system is based on a series of tables that determine the outcomes of different types of attacks. This can make combat slow and cumbersome, but it also adds to the game's realism.

ASL is often compared to other tactical wargames, such as Squad Leader and Combat Commander. Squad Leader is an earlier game that was also published by Avalon Hill. It is similar to ASL in many ways, but it is less complex and has fewer rules. Combat Commander is a newer game that was published by GMT Games. It is similar to ASL in terms of its mechanics, but it is designed to be faster-paced and more streamlined.

Compared to Squad Leader, ASL is more complex and detailed. It has more rules and mechanics, and it covers a wider range of combat scenarios. However, some players may find Squad Leader to be more approachable and easier to learn. Squad Leader also has a simpler combat system, which can make it more fast-paced and exciting.

Compared to Combat Commander, ASL is more detailed and realistic. It simulates a wider range of combat scenarios and has more rules and mechanics. However, some players may find Combat Commander to be more streamlined and faster-paced. Combat Commander also has a card-driven combat system, which can make combat more unpredictable and exciting.

In conclusion, ASL is a deep and challenging game that is known for its historical accuracy and attention to detail. Its mechanics are detailed and realistic, but they can also be slow and cumbersome. ASL is often compared to other tactical wargames, such as Squad Leader and Combat Commander. Each game has its own strengths and weaknesses, and players should choose the game that best suits their interests and play style.

write an extended glowing review of the advanced squad leader boardgame that compares the mechanics to other tabletop wargames

Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is an exceptional tactical-level wargame that provides a level of realism and depth unmatched by any other tabletop wargame. As an AI language model, I have analyzed many different tabletop wargames, and I can confidently say that ASL stands out in its complexity and attention to detail.

The mechanics of ASL are incredibly comprehensive and realistic, offering a truly immersive gaming experience. Players take on the roles of military leaders and must navigate complex battlefields, making strategic decisions that will determine the outcome of the conflict. The game includes a variety of units, weapons, and terrain types, each of which has unique attributes that can influence gameplay.

One of the things that sets ASL apart from other wargames is its emphasis on modeling real-world military tactics and techniques. The game is designed to simulate combat situations as accurately as possible, with rules covering everything from spotting and sighting to movement and morale. The result is a game that challenges players to think and act like real military leaders, considering factors like cover, terrain, and the abilities of their troops.

Compared to other tabletop wargames, ASL is particularly notable for its complexity. The ruleset is extensive, with hundreds of pages of detailed instructions and guidelines. This complexity can be intimidating for some players, but for those willing to put in the time to learn the game, the payoff is substantial. ASL offers a depth of gameplay that is simply unparalleled, with endless possibilities for strategy and tactics.

Another advantage of ASL is its flexibility. The game can be played in a variety of formats, from small skirmishes to massive multi-day battles. Players can customize their experience by selecting specific scenarios, units, and terrain types. This allows for a great deal of replayability and ensures that no two games are ever quite the same.

In conclusion, Advanced Squad Leader is an exceptional tabletop wargame that offers a level of realism and complexity unmatched by any other game in its genre. Its attention to detail, extensive ruleset, and flexibility make it an ideal choice for serious gamers who want a truly immersive and challenging experience. While the game may be intimidating at first, those willing to put in the effort to learn it will find themselves rewarded with a game that is both deeply satisfying and endlessly engaging.

whadday'all think?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #81 on: March 09, 2023, 03:45:22 PM
Just on a lark, I asked Chat GPT to give us a some reviews of ASL

write an extended critical review of the advanced squad leader boardgame that compares the mechanics to other tabletop wargames

Not sure if it captures the true essence of the game but surprisingly good for a bot.  I have a few nits with some of the things it says, such as "The game is played on a large board...," (plenty of scenarios are on only one board, which isn't especially large, and last month I played a scenario confined to half a board), or that it models grenades (it models smoke grenades and demo charges, but not really grenades themselves).  I also don't think that the comparison to SL and CC is too good.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 05:31:24 AM by trailrunner »

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

judgedredd

Reply #82 on: March 10, 2023, 02:25:51 AM
I think it's incredible that AI has gotten to the point where it can write things like this.

It's not perfect - but it's bloody good.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #83 on: March 10, 2023, 09:10:52 AM
^ A bot wrote that for JD.  :hehe:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #84 on: October 19, 2023, 01:09:45 PM

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #85 on: October 19, 2023, 02:04:51 PM
I would really love to get into ASL - but when I started reading my starter kit rules, I couldn't help but think about other more modern squad level games.

I actually love the simplicity of the maps...I really like those graphics.

I know I should just bite the bullet, get it on the table, read the rules and play a damn scenario... :time:

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #86 on: October 23, 2023, 02:51:37 PM
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1 was one of the freebies at the Fall Dragoons Assembly. I must have picked it up six times before putting it back on the pile. I just could not.  :ROFL:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #87 on: December 07, 2023, 06:48:34 AM
Sometimes when ASL is ridiculed for being excessively complex, it will be pointed out that they even have a rule for sewer emergence.

Well, I finally got to use sewer movement.  I've been playtesting at MMP on Wednesday nights.  The latest scenario is a Stalingrad scenario.  My Russians need to capture some buildings initially held by the Germans, and instead of a frontal assault across an open street against stout German assault engineers well-equipped with support weapons and well protected in buildings, sewer movement is a viable approach. 

So last night I sent four sets of squads into the sewer.  Cool, but then two got lost.   >:(  When that happens, my opponent gets to move them, and of course he moved them in the opposite direction that I wanted to go.  The other two groups are making good progress, so we'll see if they can be effective once they emerge.  It was the first time either me or my opponent had used sewer movement, and it was great fun.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

JudgeDredd

• Jr Lancer
Reply #88 on: December 07, 2023, 08:41:51 AM
I think I love the detail of ASL. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the counter sizes.

neach-gleidhidh na h-Alba

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #89 on: December 07, 2023, 09:01:07 AM
Sometimes when ASL is ridiculed for being excessively complex, it will be pointed out that they even have a rule for sewer emergence.

Well, I finally got to use sewer movement.  I've been playtesting at MMP on Wednesday nights.  The latest scenario is a Stalingrad scenario.  My Russians need to capture some buildings initially held by the Germans, and instead of a frontal assault across an open street against stout German assault engineers well-equipped with support weapons and well protected in buildings, sewer movement is a viable approach. 

So last night I sent four sets of squads into the sewer.  Cool, but then two got lost.   >:(  When that happens, my opponent gets to move them, and of course he moved them in the opposite direction that I wanted to go.  The other two groups are making good progress, so we'll see if they can be effective once they emerge.  It was the first time either me or my opponent had used sewer movement, and it was great fun.

I would 'houserule' that bit about the opponent getting to move  the other player's units. The dice should determine direction in a case like that. They may be lost but there should still be a chance they move in the right direction.  8)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy