Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: AH's Dauntless  (Read 9610 times)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
on: October 19, 2018, 09:37:02 PM
What do you guys think of AH's Dauntless? There's a copy for sale by Noble Knight for $35USD right now. How is the game? Any solitaire potential?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 04:25:36 AM
It is a simultaneous movement plotting game - relies on cards for each plane's attributes - I never really leaned to play it myself until I got to watch some guys playing it at the lunch table back in high school.  I think that they were playing Air Force - but it was the same game (the European version of it). 

Wings is the WWI version (by Yaquinto) - and it is sort of a bit like Ironclads as well - but the solo play - that kind of depends upon how well one can write down orders for both sides and then execute them.   I don't know if anyone ever came up with any house rules that made this better ( try Web Grognards maybe --- they seemed to have everything listed there about anything.).  I have the Battleline version. I mean it can be good - but it takes some work for the solo part. 

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 08:07:27 AM
Thanks. I'll have to mull it over.

72z

• Jr. Trooper
    • History Design Center
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:32:33 AM
I think I saw someone on BGG say that the AH version was only an expansion? The Battleline version wasn't though.  I mean I played Wings solo (but then again I played everything solo) -so it can work ... but that was like 35 years ago....

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 11:00:23 AM
Thanks for the warning. I may just pass and wait for a copy of Whistling Death or one of it's precursor (Aching Spitfire & Over the Reich?) games to show up for sale.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 02:39:09 PM
I might be able to sell you copies of Achtung Spitfire and Whistling Death after Nov 4th. 

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 03:21:25 PM
Cool- let me know when the time comes.