Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Raid on St. Nazaire  (Read 4262 times)

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
on: February 26, 2021, 09:10:51 PM
Anyone ever play this Avalon Hill classic?

Any books you guys could recommend that are particularly good, on this subject?

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:45:13 PM
I would have played it if copies had not been selling for a hundred frakking dollars for the last five-odd years now!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:38:24 AM
Same here - by the time I was interested enough to play it, there were no affordable copies anywhere.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 06:40:44 AM
Same again. :(

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 06:43:24 AM
I'm guessing BC managed to Nasnare a copy  :)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 06:44:45 AM
I'll go the opposite way and say he didn't.

...yet.

judgedredd

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:45:59 AM
Ooooh...a challenge  :biggrin:

BC?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 06:48:28 AM
<rubs hands together>

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:06:02 AM
Oh, he’s got a copy. Got it in a trade of all things.... lucky basturd.  :tickedoff:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 07:11:01 AM
Meh!  >:(

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 08:34:09 AM
lol...I knew he used a load of games...so whilst I didn't know he had that one,  his question timing made me think it was in the trade  :biggrin:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:37:21 PM
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Yeah, I just finished working with Noble Knight. I cleared out a bunch of board games I bought previously and got a lot of credit, so I ordered Amerika, Raid on St. Nazaire, Combat!, and Crowbar!, as well as some odds and ends (a few issues of General and a new 2mm counter clipper).

None of them were terribly cheap. Had I just been shopping there's no way I would have given these games a second glance for their price tags, but when you get a bunch of store credit, I figured I should go for some more rare items while I have the chance, and I've always wanted Raid on St. Nazaire. I'd been wanting Crowbar! as well, but it's well over $100 wherever I've seen it and I got it for about $75. The other two, I've wanted as well for a while.

Always regretted not picking up Raid back in the day, and after watching a few Let's Play videos I pulled the trigger on it. (The copy of Nazaire I ordered was $95 for VG/NM condition - I think they had one that was $125 and another that was $85, but I can't remember.) I didn't use all the credit, so I'm going to get the remainder in cash.

I almost ordered a copy of Ambush!, but remembered JD's excellent Combat! AAR, so I went for that instead.

What's really sad is, I did an inventory today, reorganizing all my shelves and writing down everything I have...and I still have 180 games.  :D

I might be contacting Noble Knight again in the near future, who knows. I'll be finding some local stores or organizations that I can donate some of the remainder, a lot of which is review copies from over the years.

Anyway...I started packing up my trade to them, in about 10 or so boxes. They have limitation on size and weight, which isn't an issue, and they're going to be sending me shipping labels to cover the cost. All I need to do is pack well, slap their label on it, then call the shipper to come pick them up. So it'll be a few weeks before I see Raid on St. Nazaire, but I've waited this long.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 03:41:37 PM
If like to hear about Crowbar! It's been on my radar

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 05:30:12 PM
Huh, I've never thought about selling games to Noble Knight. But then I guess I've never thought about selling games.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 10:08:27 PM
Huh, I've never thought about selling games to Noble Knight. But then I guess I've never thought about selling games.  ;D

It's rather traumatic to do so. I suggest selling any extra children first to help prepare yourself.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa