Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Brave Little Belgium " Undone by the Wit of "The Dice Tower"  (Read 35950 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I might be in a bit of a towering rage at the moment.

The next time anyone even suggests to me that the hobby game market and those that lust for chibi minis and elaborate board art are just a few siren notes away from being lured into the Charybdis of consims is getting this hurled at them at great speed:

https://www.dicetower.com/game/255516/brave-little-belgium

Look, Tom and Mary don't need me to defend them.  They're big kids who have accomplishments that speak for themselves.

What brings up my gorge is the self-sure tone of this man-tot banging his rattle against the walls of his pack-n-play because "GAME NOT PRETTY!"  He finds the dice banal for, it would seem, being dice for heaven's sake.

And I wonder what might have happened had someone sent him, oh, "This Guilty Land"?

If consims must die for want of this and what it represents, then they must die.

At least they will go out with a bit of dignity and with their nature intact.

And the memories, for those that have them, will be fine ones.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
why so it has...    hmmmmm :monkey:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Well...The Dice Tower.  ::)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Tom's definitely NOT a wargaming guy.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Dang, now I would really love to see that video.  :doh:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
I was thinking the same

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
It seriously felt as if Mr. Vasel was bored with every aspect of doing unboxing videos and chose to vent at the first wargame to pass under his hands.

Certainly no one gets all games and no one is going to confuse "BLB" with "Abyss" or "Wingspan", both of which he dotes over aesthetically.

He knows he went too far and may have done some small damage to people that are better than he is in the bargain.  Oh, and now he's effectively conceded the video was rubbish and shown that he's afraid to address his own nonsense and therefore a bit of a coward.

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Oh, and the bit where he brutally -- I do not exaggerate -- chastises Hollandspiele for putting boring -- his word -- dice in the box was particularly perverse.

I remember wondering what sort of dice he imagined one would put in a consim and what the princeling fancied he ought to have received.

I further wondered if this sort of nonsense is what lead to the dingy decision by Compass Games to put two ridiculously large dice in "Hearts and Minds, 3e".

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
I like big dice and I cannot lie...

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
I wish I could find this video to see what the fuss is about.

Not that I don't believe it's everything y'all are saying; I just can't believe someone would be that audacious with their negativity.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
For those still puzzled as to why I've decided to not attend Origins next year, and have generally withdrawn from public forums...this is it. Life is too short to be dealing with stains like this. My observation/experience is that Origins/GAMA is drifting exactly this way.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
I was going to post this elsewhere, but, that little band of us that went wandering to find VPG and found only zombies, it turns out, were witnessing another sign of the end times.

I don't know how many have been following it, but I wouldn't expect any VPG wargames anytime soon.  I know EF has been picked up by GMT, but there is no word re: the 20 series of which I've spoken often.

I grow ever more convinced that, as the hobby changes, the bits I love of it will die.  Oh, there will be enough to see me off, but, yeah...

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
 :(

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
As the wider hobby continues to grow, it is going to pull in more people who are just not interested in hardcore historical wargames. I'm not overly concerned. It's always been a niche group who want to the real groggy stuff. We're better off now because there are still companies like GMT, MMP and Compass that are putting out some high quality wargames and resurrecting a lot of the old classics.

Some companies are going to focus on games with a broader mass appeal. I'm not particularly interested in games with zombies, meeples, or collectible cards, but I can't fault a company for going where the money is.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:10:52 PM by mirth »