Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 373535 times)

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #1455 on: October 10, 2021, 12:00:33 AM
Prince Namor of course. He hates subs. And the Human Torch.  :biggrin:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1456 on: October 10, 2021, 10:18:35 AM
This is getting rather interesting.  By now, it would have been announced if it was a merchant ship or an uncharted physical object.  It is barely possible it might be something like a slowly sinking object that was struck.  (Buoys, for example, are made to float.  If it broke its chain and sprung a tiny leak.  But it's a huge ocean.)
I think the only logical choices would be another submarine, of unannounced nationality.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1457 on: October 10, 2021, 10:24:25 AM
Or the Chinese had a gigantic amount of leftover sand or rock from one of their island building adventures and decided to secretly dump it in a tall pile where it might fuck with someone else's navy.

All in the spirit of harmless fun, of course.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1458 on: October 10, 2021, 03:35:23 PM
So you're suggesting that they trolled us by building a seamount?

By the rule that a practical joke has to cost the joker some significant effort, that would be a pretty good one.

Has anyone seen any pictures of the damage?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1459 on: October 14, 2021, 11:04:03 AM

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1460 on: October 21, 2021, 03:17:40 PM
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/secret-victorian-coin-found-hidden-under-nelsons-flagships-mast-in-portsmouth-3425930?

A tradition that went back to the Phoenicians.

somewhere along the way, another tradition was lost.  To give the boat a soul, captives, or slaves, would be placed on the slip way when the boat was launched.
Funny how people keep messing with tried and true methods.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1461 on: October 21, 2021, 04:27:30 PM
^They better put that back or else the HMS Victory is doomed!

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1462 on: October 21, 2021, 06:25:22 PM
Not to mention the tradition of putting eyes on the bow of the ship so it could avoid danger.

Something the US Navy should seriously consider.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1463 on: October 30, 2021, 01:33:50 PM
https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/articles/20211028.aspx

Good discussion on possible answers to the Connecticut collision with other recent sub events.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1464 on: November 01, 2021, 04:12:05 PM
https://news.usni.org/2021/11/01/investigation-concludes-uss-connecticut-grounded-on-uncharted-sea-mount-in-south-china-sea

The conclusion won't please the conspiracy folks.  It will likely be labeled a white wash.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1465 on: November 02, 2021, 05:09:59 PM
The-Chinese-sneakily-built-a-sea-mount theory confirmed!

The South China Sea apparently does have a lot of bumpy bits to run into.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1466 on: November 03, 2021, 09:23:20 AM
https://www.navytimes.com/news/2021/11/01/officials-damaged-us-navy-sub-struck-underwater-mountain/

On another site, a troll asserted that the object was a secret Chinese underwater oil drilling facility.
Sounds like a James Bond plot.
"But, M, my dinner jacket is not wash and wear.  My tailor will be very annoyed."

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #1467 on: November 03, 2021, 10:43:28 AM
From an NPR article on the subject:

"New estimates suggest that, taken together, seamounts encompass about 28.8 million square kilometers of the Earth's surface," NOAA says. "That's larger than deserts, tundra, or any other single land-based global habitat on the planet."

Yes. Lots of bumpy bits.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1468 on: November 03, 2021, 06:04:46 PM
From an NPR article on the subject:

"New estimates suggest that, taken together, seamounts encompass about 28.8 million square kilometers of the Earth's surface," NOAA says. "That's larger than deserts, tundra, or any other single land-based global habitat on the planet."

Yes. Lots of bumpy bits.

Have I just created a new technical term?

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1469 on: November 22, 2021, 09:36:32 PM
Comsubfor is holding a "navigational" standdown.
Since the Navigator was not relieved, or given papers, it sounds to me that they were doing something on watch that they shouldn't.