Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 103003 times)

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #75 on: February 06, 2021, 01:37:12 PM
Martok I'll be sending you a bill, I now own Stellaris and the Utopia DLC thanks to your advice ......    :nerd:

While I wait for the download and a chance to dive in to the game do you have any recommend resources I should read to help get my feet wet?

Ha, you're welcome.  :biggrin: 

As far as guides go, PCGamesN just put out this one a couple weeks ago.  I skimmed through the article, and it looks pretty good. 

Otherwise, ASpec (who's a noted Stellaris "super-fan) put together a couple excellent videos covering the basics to get people started.  They technically only cover version 2.7 (the videos are from last year), but otherwise are still relevant. 

Thanks!!

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #77 on: February 06, 2021, 05:45:42 PM
When you discover your neighbours are dicks   :waiting:
Neighbours are always dicks in Stellaris

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #78 on: February 06, 2021, 05:47:00 PM
Does Stellaris suffer from one of the most common 4x problems: having someone else's starting location be right nex t to you?
Mostly from cheating AI

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #79 on: February 06, 2021, 07:31:46 PM
When you discover your neighbours are dicks   :waiting:
Neighbours are always dicks in Stellaris

My solution (that I inadvertently stumbled across):  After creating my custom empires (that I like to play as), select the option to force-spawn them in future games.  Doing this improves the odds of meeting empires who are friendly to me, whilst simultaneously lowering the odds of encountering empires who are dicks.  8) 

I do believe that's why i always gave up...never finding myself in a decent defensive position and getting royally  f***ed

I do believe Martok might have a point though because I do tend to expand when my fleet is 20 strong and only with a combat strength of 750 or so

I'm currently surrounded by factions who have closed their borders and really don't seem like they're looking for a new friend...so I might be starting a new game soon

You're probably already doing this, but as much as possible, make sure to annex & secure "chokepoint" systems near your neighbors (whether they're friendly or not).  Then build/upgrade your starbases in these border/chokepoint systems, so that any enemy fleets will have to take out these defensive bastions before moving deeper into your territory. 

On a related note, I believe that starbases (but not outposts) count towards your fleet strength.  So spending the alloys to build/upgrade then when & where practical  should help inflate an empire's assessment of your military power. 

I should point out that I didn't need with the settings too much and whilst I'm on a huge map, I think I did slow for 15 factions...so things were probably going to get tight quick.

I didn't know the best settings for them...so I didn't change much. I didn't want an empty map but also wanted a challenge...I don't think my settings allowed for that medium  ;D

Heh.  Yeah, it can be tricky finding the right balance between "not too boring" and "not too tough".  I personally play with around 20 standard empires, 3 marauder empires, and all 5 fallen empires (in a max-sized galaxy), but even that can feel a tad crowded at times.  Much depends on what kind of mood the RN-Jesus is in...  :P 

When starting a new game, something that's worth double-checking is that you have "Advanced AI Starts" turned all the way to 0/off, and "Advanced Neighbors" set to off as well.  Adjusting down the number of Marauder Empires can also help, although bear in mind that the mid-game crisis ("The Great Khan") cannot spawn unless there's at least one of them. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #80 on: February 06, 2021, 07:44:13 PM
I just don't need another 4x addiction

Sure, you just keep telling yourself that...  :hehe: 

Does Stellaris suffer from one of the most common 4x problems: having someone else's starting location be right next to you?

If I remember correctly, there is a setting for when setting up a game that keeps them further away.  Of course, the size of your galaxy and number of AI players can impact that

Cool. I guess I need to fire this up again, thanks!  :bigthumb:

If you find you're still having issues with other empires being too close to you, bbmike, I recommend the No Clustered Starts mod.  I use an older version for playing Stellaris v2.1, and it works quite well.  :) 

>:D

Whoa!  Definitely have not come across that one yet.  :o  Is this from the vanilla game? 

judgedredd

Reply #81 on: February 07, 2021, 03:51:40 AM
Damn...they really don't like me

judgedredd

Reply #82 on: February 07, 2021, 04:13:31 AM
Also - how come my fleet is limited to 24 (was 20 but I had extra for research) because of pop but the "enemy" factions are far superior with a similar pop?

judgedredd

Reply #83 on: February 07, 2021, 07:25:03 AM
My universe - all mine muuuuaaahahahaha

judgedredd

Reply #84 on: February 07, 2021, 07:28:35 AM
Then again....

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #85 on: February 07, 2021, 09:23:27 AM
>:D

Easy. Nuke 'em!

The problem is that this is next to my home system and would take out 3 of my biggest systems. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #86 on: February 07, 2021, 09:48:08 AM
All right, there's a fair bit to unpack here.  :peace:  Taking this one-by-one... 

That's definitely true of at least two of them (the Jurinn and Kaan-Visam), yes.  It also appears your relations with the Vissari are nearing a tipping point, although possibly not beyond repair just yet. 

Your relations with the other three (Bryll, Hissma, & Triech), however, aren't actually horrible.  No, they're not great, obviously, but if your relations are higher than -50, then the situation is definitely still salvagable with them (though maybe not easy). 

It will take some effort, however, including a bit of...generosity on your part.  Giving gifts (energy credits, minerals, favors, etc.) are a necessary part of making friends in Stellaris.  In addition, it's generally best to start giving gifts as soon you make contact with someone (if you can afford it), before relations have a chance to begin degrading.  While that's obviously not possible with the folks you've already met, it's good to keep in mind for the future. 

Also - how come my fleet is limited to 24 (was 20 but I had extra for research) because of pop but the "enemy" factions are far superior with a similar pop?

Setting aside the possibility of AI cheating (I suspect there might be a bit of that going on), naval capacity is mainly determined by a combination of numerous factors: civics, technologies, traditions, certain job types, etc.  In this case, all it would really take would be for the other nations to have researched the first technology that increases naval cap (which is entirely possible -- it usually shows up in the first several decades); that alone would probably be enough. 

Then again....

Looking at the first screenshot, I notice a number of things (that could make a sizeable difference): 

1,)  At the moment, you're a fair ways behind the others in expanding your territory.  You need more star systems -- both for the resources, and for new planets to colonize. 

2.)  To do this, you of course need alloys (for building Outposts), which you currently have very little of.  However, you have plenty of minerals and food.  Sell some of them (one or a bit of both) on the Galactic Market so that you can purchase more alloys...and then send your constructor ships a-building! 

3.)  When you have vessels that are idle (such are your 2 fleets and the 1 construction ship) and don't plan to use them in the immediate/very near future, dock them at the nearest Starbase with a Crew Quarters module.  This will cut down their maintenance costs and save you a little bit on energy credits. 

4.)  I see your science ships (and their Scientists) are sitting around idle.  They should always be busy, especially in the early game!  Keep them surveying systems, researching anomalies, etc.  I would also recommend building a third science ship (once you've purchased more alloys), as that's going to help a lot with getting those systems surveyed more quickly. 

5.)  You have a lot of influence just sitting there, unused.  Hopefully you'll be able to start quickly spending some of that for building Outposts in new systems, but it might worth checking (if you haven't already) to see if there's any available Edicts that might be useful in helping you get things kickstarted/caught back up.  (If there's one that improves alloy production or research, that would be especially nice.) 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:23:17 AM by Martok »

judgedredd

Reply #87 on: February 07, 2021, 11:35:45 AM
All right, there's a fair bit to unpack here.  :peace:  Taking this one-by-one... 

That's definitely true of at least two of them (the Jurinn and Kaan-Visam), yes.  It also appears your relations with the Vissari are nearing a tipping point, although possibly not beyond repair just yet. 

Your relations with the other three (Bryll, Hissma, & Triech), however, aren't actually horrible.  No, they're not great, obviously, but if your relations are higher than -50, then the situation is definitely still salvagable with them (though maybe not easy). 

It will take some effort, however, including a bit of...generosity on your part.  Giving gifts (energy credits, minerals, favors, etc.) are a necessary part of making friends in Stellaris.  In addition, it's generally best to start giving gifts as soon you make contact with someone (if you can afford it), before relations have a chance to begin degrading.  While that's obviously not possible with the folks you've already met, it's good to keep in mind for the future. 
I have started to offer items to garner favour - and my relationships are heading upwards. I've only got 1 envoy - can I not have another or do I have to look at the Diplomacy Traditions?

Setting aside the possibility of AI cheating (I suspect there might be a bit of that going on), naval capacity is mainly determined by a combination of numerous factors: civics, technologies, traditions, certain job types, etc.  In this case, all it would really take would be for the other nations to have researched the first technology that increases naval cap (which is entirely possible -- it usually shows up in the first several decades); that alone would probably be enough. 
I really haven't seen anything show up to allow me to increase my fleet size. I used a tradition to up it by 20%

Then again....

Looking at the first screenshot, I notice a number of things (that could make a sizeable difference): 

1,)  At the moment, you're a fair ways behind the others in expanding your territory.  You need more star systems -- both for the resources, and for new planets to colonize. 
I am actually boxed in. Apart from the small portion over on the left, I cannot expand. I am stuck.

2.)  To do this, you of course need alloys (for building Outposts), which you currently have very little of.  However, you have plenty of minerals and food.  Sell some of them (one or a bit of both) on the Galactic Market so that you can purchase more alloys...and then send your constructor ships a-building! 
I have been selling resources to buy alloys

3.)  When you have vessels that are idle (such are your 2 fleets and the 1 construction ship) and don't plan to use them in the immediate/very near future, dock them at the nearest Starbase with a Crew Quarters module.  This will cut down their maintenance costs and save you a little bit on energy credits. 
I didn't know this - thanks.

4.)  I see your science ships (and their Scientists) are sitting around idle.  They should always be busy, especially in the early game!  Keep them surveying systems, researching anomalies, etc.  I would also recommend building a third science ship (once you've purchased more alloys), as that's going to help a lot with getting those systems surveyed more quickly. 
Got them going again - but I have now run out of places to scan. I am stuck where I am.

5.)  You have a lot of influence just sitting there, unused.  Hopefully you'll be able to start quickly spending some of that for building Outposts in new systems, but it might worth checking (if you haven't already) to see if there's any available Edicts that might be useful in helping you get things kickstarted/caught back up.  (If there's one that improves alloy production or research, that would be especially nice.)
No edicts to improve alloy production...only Fortify the border, Information Quarantine and Veneration of Saints

Thanks Martok - some good tips there but I am doing most of them - but these will definitely help others.

One thing that stumps me is my location. I really don't have anywhere to expand to short of the small area to the west...but that leads nowhere so I am genuinely boxed in. It could be game over for me I guess because  other factions are going to get stronger.

judgedredd

Reply #88 on: February 07, 2021, 04:58:53 PM
Me - stuck...nowhere to expand with a pathetic little fleet  ::)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #89 on: February 07, 2021, 09:12:03 PM
Well s***, JD; I think you might have just gotten stuck with a bad starting position.  :-\  And this was with only 15 other empires in a 1000-star galaxy?