Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 100337 times)

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #585 on: September 06, 2022, 10:28:06 AM
Why do i always have the feeling that whatever the race i select, i play the same game again and again.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #586 on: September 06, 2022, 12:29:50 PM
I think that's more of a game style than a race specific issue.  Stellaris don't seem to tie a races into specific traits and game play, but leaves that up to the civics that choose.  Or, maybe I just haven't played with other races enough.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #587 on: September 06, 2022, 01:02:15 PM
I’m sure it’s gamestyle - I’ve watched countless lets plays - go tall, go wide, go peaceful scientists, go murdering machine bastards hoovering up the galaxy - never one the same

If you’re going to be cats, plants, dolphins and pick a certain set of laws and still turtle, grow slow and head for cruisers of course every game will be the same

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #588 on: September 07, 2022, 04:51:19 AM
The problem is that there's just one victory condition for the game (points) so the viable paths are always the same. Unless you just roleplay, but that doesn't always work (or isn't always fun). I once wanted to have a peaceful game but ended not being allowed to defend myself because my settings were on peaceful and could just watch my empire being destroyed without being able to do anything against it.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #589 on: September 07, 2022, 07:30:05 AM
I’ve won the game as soon as our Federation owned a large percentage of the galaxy (70%?) and that was not through war but diplomacy.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #590 on: September 07, 2022, 07:43:04 AM
I’ve won the game as soon as our Federation owned a large percentage of the galaxy (70%?) and that was not through war but diplomacy.
That is cool indeed... :rockon:

I've had a couple of Federations myself but not up to a victory yet.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #591 on: September 09, 2022, 07:21:58 PM
Dev Diary #264 "Damn the Consequences" takes a closer look at some of the features coming the Toxoids DLC, while Dev Diary #265 "The Art of Toxoid Clothing" talks about the new races' art design [natch]. 

(The video recap for #264, for those who don't care to read it.) 

A closer look at the "Overtuned" Origin: 

Toxoids dev Q&A (this was admittedly kind of fun to watch): 

I'm wondering what -- if anything -- the devs will do to address the criticisms about Toxoid races needing to pick the new "Detox" ascension perk just to able to terraform Toxic worlds.  If they're going to keep it that way, then terraforming Toxic planets will need to come with significant rewards/benefits to make it worthwhile. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #592 on: September 09, 2022, 07:23:12 PM
Why do i always have the feeling that whatever the race i select, i play the same game again and again.

Speaking only for myself, I think it's because I tend to play the same type of game, no matter what type of race/empire I'm playing as.  It doesn't matter if that empire is well-suited to my play-style or not.  That's just how I roll, even when I don't mean to.  :P 

The problem is that there's just one victory condition for the game (points) so the viable paths are always the same. Unless you just roleplay, but that doesn't always work (or isn't always fun). I once wanted to have a peaceful game but ended not being allowed to defend myself because my settings were on peaceful and could just watch my empire being destroyed without being able to do anything against it.

I concur the lack of other victory conditions is a valid criticism.  Of course, it's a problem that plagues the genre as a whole, not just Stellaris (though Stellaris might be one of the more glaring examples). 

I imagine Paradox's mindset in using the points system was (ironically) to allow for flexible victory conditions:  In theory, players could "win" by gaining points relevant to their play-style, and/or the type of race/empire they're playing as.  In practice, however, this has not implemented terribly well -- it's not necessarily horrible, but it's definitely not great, either. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #593 on: October 06, 2022, 05:54:35 AM
Not gonna lie, this trailer almost got me to grab the Toxoids DLC (even though I have no real interest in it): 

But I digress.  Onto this week's Dev Diary! 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-270-traditional-results-of-summer-experiments.1545411/

The short version is:  Ascension Paths are getting almost completely reworked, and players will get the chance to beta-test them when the 3.6 "Orion" update drops in December. 

Probably the two single biggest changes are: 

1.)  There will now be four Ascension Paths:  Psionic, Genetic, Cybernetic, & Synthetic.  These paths are now generally available to more empires (with obvious exceptions -- machine empires still won't have access to the Genetic Ascension Path, etc.). 

2.)  Choosing an Ascension Path will unlock access to a Tradition Tree, which is how you'll now advance down your chosen Path -- you won't be researching technologies anymore (or very few).  This also means you'll have to "spend" one of your precious Tradition Tree slots if you want to choose an Ascension Path; presumably, this is to balance/offset how powerful said Paths are. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #594 on: October 09, 2022, 12:40:14 AM
Sounds like my previous predictions of a 2025/2026 release date for Stellaris 2 might be hilariously premature: 

https://www.pcgamer.com/stellariss-game-director-isnt-thinking-about-a-sequel-theres-so-much-stuff-for-us-to-continue-working-with/

Granted, it could easily be a bit of misdirection on the part of Paradox, but I suspect this might actually be legit.  If things continue as they have for the last year or so -- since Daniel Moregard finally repaired most of the damage caused by Martin Anward, and established the Custodians Initiative -- we might very well not see a sequel until 2030 or so. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 04:57:29 AM by Martok »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #595 on: October 12, 2022, 05:46:38 AM
In a bit of unexpected news, the devs have suddenly released another patch (v3.5.3)! 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/dev-team-3-5-3-patch-released-checksum-c1ba.1547565/

It's a smaller update (still part of the "Fornax" branch), so it ought to be compatible with existing saved-games, but the devs have cautioned players may want to roll back to v3.5.2 if they run into problems. 

Given both the timing and somewhat surprise nature of the patch's release, speculation is building that the beta for the "Orion" 3.6 update (featuring the rework to combat and ascension paths) may be available soon... 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #596 on: October 12, 2022, 05:47:44 AM
Speaking of which, here's a 2-hour-long video of game director Steven Muray (along with community manager Mordred Viking) playing around with said beta: 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1620383841

Looking at ship design, a notable addition is the new Frigate ship type, which is specifically intended as a mobile torpedo platform, meant to deal lots of damage at short range.  I also note -- with a certain amount of delight -- that we'll be able to designate specific roles when designing ships (Screen, Gunship, Artillery, Brawler, etc.).  There are a couple new weapons to complement these roles as well. 

There are now minimum ranges on most long-range weapons (missiles, neutron launchers, etc.) so that it will be possible for ships with the Gunship/Brawler role (plus those Torpedo Frigates) to get inside those weapons' ranges.  Ergo, artillery-focused Battleships should should finally be somewhat vulnerable in combat, and their long-held dominance of the battlefield challenged. 

Traditions/Ascension:  The four Ascension Paths (Cybernetic, Genetic, Psionic, & Synthetic) have been added as their own Tradition Trees.  There is also a new Politics Tradition Tree being added, with the tree being focused on increasing your empire's abilities & power within the Galactic Community.  Finally, adopting & completing the Harmony Traditions grants you access to the new "Holy Covenant" -- spiritualist empires finally get their own federation type!  :party: 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #597 on: October 12, 2022, 08:17:18 AM
Here's a Reader's Digest version of the info in the above 2 hour video... it's only 1/2 hour.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #598 on: October 16, 2022, 04:23:24 PM
Some of you are probably already are aware, but this week's dev diary talks about the open beta for the upcoming 3.6 "Orion" update: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-271-ready-fight.1546912/

The beta is available to check out now through the end of the month.  So if you're at all interested in checking out and/or providing feedback on either the combat rework or the new Ascension paths, this is your chance! 

The biggest changes include:

* Ship Roles can now be selected to auto-design ships that actually fulfill certain roles, such as Artillery, Brawler, Torpedo, and so on. If you do not possess any weapons that fulfill the selected role, it’ll do its best with what you have.

* Torpedoes and select other weapons now gain a multiplicative damage bonus based on the size of the target.
        - Missiles have been moved out of the G slot back into S and M.
        - Energy Torpedoes such as Proton and Neutron Launchers have been changed into G class weapons with a minimum range. Damage has been adjusted to be balanced as a Torpedo class weapon, and like the new Torpedoes, they deal increased damage to larger targets. Unlike standard torpedoes, they remain instant hit weapons for now.

* A new ship size called the Frigate, an advanced Corvette frame that delivers torpedoes, but is slower and less evasive. It's unlocked with the Torpedo technology.

* Added a minimum range to all Large weapons except Lasers
        - Note: Currently ships do not yet back off if all weapons are unable to fire due to range.

* Strike Craft no longer intercept missiles, but will continue to fight each other.

* Flak Batteries now more strongly counter Strike Craft, while Point Defense now more strongly counter missiles and torpedoes. Strike Craft are more reliant on Shields, Missiles and Torpedoes are more reliant on Armor. Due to their ability to bypass shields, Strike Craft are very effective against other Strike Craft.

* Ship combat computers now ignore certain weapons for desired range purposes, and base their desired distance on the actual loadout of the ship. "Swarm" and "Torpedo" behavior will charge in, "Picket" and "Line" behaviors will attempt to stay at the range of their median range weapons, and "Artillery" and "Carrier" will try to stay at the range of their longest ranged weapons.This generally increases the desire for ships to remain at range if possible.

* Ships now get a limited number of Disengagement Opportunities per combat. All current drives provide 1 disengagement roll (except for Psi Jump Drives, which provide 2) once the ship takes hull damage below its disengagement threshold, and the Hit and Run war doctrine grants all of your ships an additional attempt. Civilian ships set to evasive will continue to try to disengage with each hit.

* Some sources of Evasion have been replaced with other effects.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #599 on: November 02, 2022, 09:15:18 PM
Dev Diary #272 - The Pact is Signed and Spoken: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-272-the-pact-is-signed-and-spoken.1549045/

TL;DR:  Communicating with the Shroud is being reworked somewhat, including new options for doing so. 

Dev Diary #273 - A Peek into the Future: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-273-a-peek-into-the-future.1551193/

Mostly showing off the various new icons for new Ascension traits, ships components, and Resolutions that are being introduced in the 3.6 Orion update -- however, some of them do hint at interesting stuff not specifically covered so far.  Also:  additional changes & improvements in the ongoing open beta. 

Dev Diary #274 - 3.6.0.beta.final.final(1)v2 Copy: 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-274-3-6-0-beta-final-final-1-v2-copy.1553442/

This week's dev diary is early, and mainly just includes additional changes being made to the open beta.  However, the devs have also decided to extend the open beta until the official release of the 3.6 Orion update. 

Given that they also have said this is probably going to be the final update to the beta branch (and that any further changes based on player feedback will likely be in a future update), the implication is that Orion will be releasing soon.  I'm guessing in the next couple weeks?  That would allow the devs a good month or so (if necessary) to put out any hotfix/follow-up patches before going on holiday break.