Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Age of Wonders 4  (Read 13887 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2023, 06:14:52 AM
As good as it looks, no way am I parting with £42 for it. I'll wait for a sale.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #31 on: May 05, 2023, 04:35:01 AM
I’m always going to run into the brick wall of me, the giant and the fairy defending the realm against 6 rat men and 2 spiders - I want my fantasy to be epic and huge - yes yes Warhammer 3 - but I think I’m more of a fan of operational scale for this - hearts of iron 3 but elves and dwarves and goblins and dragons and now I’m all pointy so I’m off

I completely understand, geek; indeed, I sympathize & agree with you on most of your points.  It's one reason I really wish it would be revealed someday soon that the rumors about Paradox making a fantasy 4x/GS game were more than mere rumor... 

That being said, I think I'm willing to give AoW4's combat a go.  While obviously not to the scale of the Total Warhammer titles, it still generally involve more individual troops than in most other 4x/GS games.  Moreover, it's turn-based, which I vastly prefer to the TW franchise's more recent outings, as the battle pacing in those has generally become too frenetic for my liking. 

As good as it looks, no way am I parting with £42 for it. I'll wait for a sale.

Good point, Bawb.  That is likewise part of my hesitancy as well. 

The other big reason I'm holding off on picking up AoW4 is that I'm waiting to hear feedback from players regarding how fun the game is (or not) outside of combat.  Because my concern is that it's going to be all about war & battles -- again -- then I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the game.  At the very least I wouldn't want to purchase it until it was on sale for very cheap. 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 05:22:28 AM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #32 on: May 05, 2023, 04:48:25 AM
A paradox fantasy GS you say??

I could happily get on board with that - eu4 with fantasy races - sold!!!

I don’t know whether it’s an age thing or game preference but I’m definitely leaning toward turn based - in fact come to think of it I’ve always preferred turn based

Just remake lords of midnight!!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #33 on: May 08, 2023, 03:07:57 AM
A paradox fantasy GS you say??

I could happily get on board with that - eu4 with fantasy races - sold!!!

As would I.  At this point, however, it's nothing more than rumor, and I intend to treat it as such unless & until it's proven otherwise. 

If you've not checked it out yet, there is the Anbennar mod for EU4.  I've not tried it myself, but it's highly regarded, and they're still making improvements to it. 

I don’t know whether it’s an age thing or game preference but I’m definitely leaning toward turn based - in fact come to think of it I’ve always preferred turn based

Same, although games like Stellaris and Distant Worlds have shown me that TBS isn't always the be-all, end-all. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #34 on: May 09, 2023, 02:17:07 PM
So Age of Wonders 4 has become the fastest-selling game in the series, with over 250,000 copies sold already.  It's reached nearly 50,000 concurrent players a couple times now, which rivals the numbers Humankind had when launched, except AoW4 appears it's going to have a lot more staying power.  Every indication so far is that this might genuinely be the best -- and at least certainly the most popular -- fantasy 4x ever made. 

I'm going to be passing on it for the time being, however. 

For as much praise as the game is getting, it's also clear that Age of Wonders 4 is heavily focused on combat, just like its predecessors.  Now if that's your thing, then you should almost certainly get it.  However, it's nowhere near the "fantasy Civ-builder" I keep hoping for. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #35 on: May 09, 2023, 03:36:36 PM
I haven't bought it...yet. But it's getting harder to resist. And then there's GalCiv 4 sitting there in the Steam store calling my name.  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #36 on: May 31, 2023, 04:03:50 PM
Dev Diary #17: Post-Launch

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-17-post-launch.1587996/

Sounds like the Dragon Dawn DLC and accompanying free "Wyvern" update will likely be releasing before Triumph and Paradox go on their summer break. 

I wonder about the wisdom of releasing paid content so soon after the game has come out; however, there does seem to be a demand for it.  And if they release Dragon Dawn in another month or so, it would still give Triumph enough time to hot-fix any major issues before going on holiday. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #37 on: May 31, 2023, 04:10:25 PM
I haven't bought it...yet. But it's getting harder to resist.

Totally understandable; the game has a lot going for it. 

For me personally, I'm mentally moving Age of Wonders 4 to my "Eventually" list:  I'm definitely getting it...someday -- just not right now. 

And then there's GalCiv 4 sitting there in the Steam store calling my name.  :D

It's a heck of a game, and one I need to get back to.  Stardock is doing all sorts of interesting things... 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #38 on: May 31, 2023, 04:20:21 PM
Its going to be on the back burner for me for a while, I think.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2023, 01:15:13 PM
Dragon Dawn DLC is releasing June 20: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2367860/Age_of_Wonders_4_Dragon_Dawn/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-18-dragon-lords.1589296/

It doesn't appear to make major changes to gameplay, not that I was expecting any so soon after the game's release.  The DLC primarily adds a 3rd ruler type -- Dragon Lord, which you can create/customize to a high degree like the other two types -- along with a new passive "Dragon Hoard" mechanic, which you can use to both help support your (very expensive) Dragon Lord, and/or equip the heroes in your employ.  Looks pretty cool. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #40 on: June 08, 2023, 07:06:21 PM
Still trying to keep from buying this!  :D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #41 on: June 08, 2023, 07:15:25 PM
I might be reading in all the wrong places but there just doesn’t seem to be a huge enthusiasm for the game

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #42 on: June 09, 2023, 07:03:33 AM
^I thought the same.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #43 on: June 11, 2023, 01:52:20 AM
I suppose that depends on your definition.  However, the game appears to be doing well enough, and most folks playing it seem to enjoy it. 

It continues to score well across Steam, Metacritic, Opencritic, etc., among both professional reviewers and rank-and-file gamers alike.  Numbers-wise, it had something like 4000-6000 players on Steam this past week.  Granted, that's a big drop-off from its peak of 42,000+ shortly after release, but that's still well ahead of every 4x game other than the "Big Three" (Civ 6, Stellaris, Civ 5).  And I imagine AoW4 will see a renewed surge in interest when Dragon Dawn and the Wyvern update drop in a couple weeks. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #44 on: June 11, 2023, 03:41:05 AM
I guess there just doesn’t appear to be a lot of folks talking about it