Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 103067 times)

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #330 on: July 06, 2021, 11:27:22 AM
Bison, remember also, you can create chokepoints and cuts of entire arms of star systems.  That means that it's impossible or very difficult for others to reach and colonize them.  If you have closed borders, then no one else can reach them.  But even with open borders, they have to spend a lot of influence to colonize a single system in that cut off area.

Unless there is a system I really need, I'll leave those cut off areas until after I've got my outer borders established.

When establishing my outer borders, I always look for a single system chock point.  Meaning that anyone trying to invade has to come through that single system.  I'll explore as far as I can past that point, and sometimes I'll have to make decisions if I should grab a particular valuable system and lose the single choke point gateway.  If I cannot get a single system gateway, then I want the two systems connected with a hyperlane so they can support each other with a single fleet. 

This is from my current game, if you look, there are 3 arms that are cutoff from others.  I'll collect them when I time/resources to do so.  Also, I'll only push survey work in they areas as I have the science ships to do so. 

Let me know if you have questions of points you need clarified. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #331 on: July 06, 2021, 03:41:22 PM
Another thought.  The AI has no issues with using wormholes to attack a weak spot in your defenses.  It take awhile for research to be done to use them, but if you see science ships popping up through a wormhole you control, start upgrading your outpost there and building up some defenses. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #332 on: July 06, 2021, 05:10:04 PM
Yeah, I build starbases in any wormhole systems I own.  Unless the other side of the wormhole is in a Fallen Empire (in which case there's not much point). 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #333 on: July 06, 2021, 05:49:52 PM
OJ I am attempting to cut off systems as you describe and have had decent success on a couple of frontiers I was able to pulled inward and build mining and research stations. On my Homolog(?) machine campaign I am sandwiched between two aggressive empires and many I’m not sure what they are pirates(?) that occupy several star systems with large fleets.

I just got done fighting a massive war and am 110/69 sprawl and 45/28 navy Caps. I think I can boost the administration districts and designate at admin world to deal with the sprawl. Navy is a pain need research to increase I think but don’t want to disband either. I lost three systems to Bothradziod fleets before I was able to push them back and recapture. I was a hairs breadth from having my capital taken out. I need bigger ships and relook my defenses.

Ok I freely admit Paradox made a grand strategy game I really like.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #334 on: July 06, 2021, 07:40:18 PM
To increase navy cap, you can add an anchorage to a starbase, along with research and traditions.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #335 on: July 07, 2021, 03:14:15 AM
On my Homolog(?) machine campaign I am sandwiched between two aggressive empires and many I’m not sure what they are pirates(?) that occupy several star systems with large fleets.

Sounds like marauder empires.  I'm guessing they automatically fire upon (and usually destroy) any vessel that enters their system? 

If they are indeed marauders, then be wary.  They'll typically leave you alone at first, but they tend to cause...trouble later on. 

I just got done fighting a massive war and am 110/69 sprawl and 45/28 navy Caps. I think I can boost the administration districts and designate at admin world to deal with the sprawl. Navy is a pain need research to increase I think but don’t want to disband either. I lost three systems to Bothradziod fleets before I was able to push them back and recapture. I was a hairs breadth from having my capital taken out. I need bigger ships and relook my defenses.

Yikes!  Nice job battling your way back.  :bigthumb:  Sounds like you already know what you need to do. 

Ok I freely admit Paradox made a grand strategy game I really like.

Heh.  This was pretty much my own reaction, about four years ago. 

To increase navy cap, you can add an anchorage to a starbase, along with research and traditions.

If you're going to build Anchorages on a starbase, ideally you want to build a Fleet Logistics Office as well. 

Constructing Fortresses (and later upgrading them to Strongholds) on planets are also not a bad idea, if/when you have spare building slots.  They provide solider jobs, which increase your naval cap as well. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #336 on: July 08, 2021, 10:47:11 AM
How effective do you all find the automation of planets? Secondly, I think I want to break my expanding empire into sectors. Admittedly I might be dense but it’s not clear on the sector screen how to set it up. Once I figure this out, do you find it helps cut back on some of the micromanagement of pops and resources?

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #337 on: July 08, 2021, 11:23:18 AM
I micro everything.  :idiot2:

The planet auto managers are not too bad but the sector auto managers are just awful even after all this time....  :tickedoff:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #338 on: July 08, 2021, 12:41:35 PM
I micro everything as well. Stellaris is one of the 4x games where i have very few planets. On the right side, you always see if a planet has room for a new building or else.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #339 on: July 08, 2021, 03:17:11 PM
I micro everything.  :idiot2:

The planet auto managers are not too bad but the sector auto managers are just awful even after all this time....  :tickedoff:

This. 

Sector auto-management wasn't as terrible in the pre-2.2 versions (although still not great); you just needed to be careful about the instructions/settings you gave your sectors.  It does appear to be much worse now, however. 

On the right side, you always see if a planet has room for a new building or else.

Agreed.  That's one aspect of Stellaris' UI i genuinely appreciate.  You can tell at a glance when a colony has a building slot available, unemployed pops, too little housing, etc.  It's quite handy. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #340 on: July 09, 2021, 12:09:00 AM
My advisor General Snuffy's elaborate plan for expansion. I have my questions regarding several things. 1. His sanity. 2. His training. 3. Fleet feasibility at this stage.

However, I unfortunately have no military advisors of...more potential and a purge of military leadership is not yet on the docket.

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #341 on: July 09, 2021, 03:23:44 AM
General Snuffy is indeed ambitious  :hehe:

Note that you have a fleet cap of 20 right now so you can forget 3x1K fleets. Focus on one big fleet and make sure you have good space stations to guard the different choke points.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #342 on: July 09, 2021, 07:04:54 PM
If I remember correctly, setting up sectors with govoners is still good idea even if you don't have them set to auto, because the gov's bonuses still get applied. 

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #343 on: July 09, 2021, 07:05:24 PM
If I remember correctly, setting up sectors with govoners is still good idea even if you don't have them set to auto, because the gov's bonuses still get applied.

Definitely.
 :bigthumb:

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #344 on: July 10, 2021, 12:33:55 AM

You are indeed correct; I can vouch for this.  :) 

I also like organizing my empire into sectors from a roleplaying standpoint.  I just "feels" right.