Author Topic: Play through of 11th Century Iberia match with folks from IKS  (Read 457 times)

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • Hope is not a Course of Action
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 10:44:27 AM
That looks amazing! I only watched a wee bit of your video, about the first twenty mins or so, and read your blog post. I really like the idea of sending images to the players with limited views of what they can see on the battle field. It looks like once you got into the rhythm of taking screen shots and sharing info, the game played smoothly. I was surprised you all were on the same chat channel; however from the little I watched, it seemed to work. Thanks for sharing!  :bigthumb:

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 12:22:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words. It worked pretty well. I think with two judges gathering up the shots and talking over combing orders (and keep it screenshots and direct text orders) as mentioned in the article, it will smooth out even more. The file sizes were a bit big due to the polygons and colors of the module, so was trying to be cognizant of that in regards to the server being used, probably not needed, but was just not liking pasting 5MB images : ). It takes a relatively simple underlying wargame system to be able to do an "interpretive" judgment mixed in and then transposed to the rules in hand. The rules I'd used are Domains At War, one I helped playtest going on 7 yrs+ ago now. Its effectively a DBA + a few things rule system. Beer n Pretzel+ some. Domains At War works pretty darn well with medieval through pike and shot era.

It has a reasonably wide audience I think. Traditional miniatures wargamers, KS'ers, and board gamers I think would find it intuitive to take part and enjoy the hybrid approach. We may even advert it out to HITS style Scourge Of War computer wargamers.