Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 56232 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #60 on: September 28, 2021, 08:26:49 PM
As a long-time fountain pen user, and occasionally splotchy person, I salute your daring!

Excellent. Do you do the fancy calligraphy writing? That takes serious skill.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #61 on: September 29, 2021, 04:42:28 PM
As a long-time fountain pen user, and occasionally splotchy person, I salute your daring!

Excellent. Do you do the fancy calligraphy writing? That takes serious skill.

Oh, good heavens, no. My writing is atrocious. But some of my pens are very attractive.

(Not my pens---I'm horrible at taking pictures, too.)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #62 on: September 29, 2021, 04:49:09 PM
One of my boys decided he wanted to paint today. He split an entire bottle of Lahmian Medium which sat drying on the newspaper covering the table for a couple of hours. Lahmain Medium has amazing adhesive properties. It took an hour of soaking with water and scrubbing with a sponge to liberate the table of newspaper basically glued to its surface.

The FLGS owner will be even happier now when we next visit his shop.

I could tell you the time I proudly placed 8 recently painted figures for a client on the table and thought I’d just highlight the silver a touch - army painter shining silver drop bottle - squeeze, nothing, squeeeeze, nothing, squeeeeeeeeeeeze, nothing

SQUEEEEEZ - POWWWWWWW  top flies off, high pressure silver paint all over wall, desk, rest of paints in paint holder and right across the 8 figures

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #63 on: September 29, 2021, 06:56:30 PM
^Wow! I am sure there were many fine English words exclaimed in the aftermath.

Unsurprisingly, I too have had the dropper fly off a bottle spraying paint all over.

While I do like the control of paint usage from a dropper and I believe they provide a longer shelf life, they come with their own challenges. I actually don’t mind the Citadel pots but I have had product like liquid green stuff dry out because it wasn’t fully closed. And I have done pot maintenance cleaning the seals of old drying paint build up.

I honestly think the real benefit of citadel outside of wide accessibility is almost every painting video uses the paint. So the names and colors and whatnot are easier to follow. I do have a conversion chart for Vallejo but of course newer citadel paints don’t have a direct crossover with Vallejo. Specifically, specifically contrast paints or colors specifically associated with a 40K faction. It drives my OCD crazy.

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #64 on: September 29, 2021, 09:44:11 PM
Extra points for using the word 'specifically' three times in the same sentence.  :bigthumb:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 10:24:14 PM
Extra points for using the word 'specifically' three times in the same sentence.  :bigthumb:

Ha! I was on the phone and didn't even notice my high degree of command of the English language!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #66 on: October 01, 2021, 08:20:20 PM
Water cup to the left. Paint water to the right. I chose poorly for a drink of water.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #67 on: October 01, 2021, 08:25:46 PM
I guess nobody should tell these guys about the paint and take station at Origins where you get to sit down and paint a free mini at the show, huh?

Or instead should we not tell them about the two dozen booths selling minis and paints and all of the accessories?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #68 on: October 01, 2021, 10:05:37 PM
Water cup to the left. Paint water to the right. I chose poorly for a drink of water.

I’ve often swished a brush in tea by accident and appreciated the cleansing properties of said beverage much more than the paint water and continued to use the tea for the rest of the session

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #69 on: October 01, 2021, 10:51:34 PM

I’ve often swished a brush in tea by accident and appreciated the cleansing properties of said beverage much more than the paint water and continued to use the tea for the rest of the session

Those tannic acids have powers heralded by old world minis painters of both near and far.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #70 on: October 02, 2021, 12:18:15 AM

Those tannic acids have powers heralded by old world minis painters of both near and far.

Tru dat

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #71 on: October 02, 2021, 05:59:27 AM
Camomile, Earl Grey, or good 'ol PG Tips?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 06:03:18 AM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #72 on: October 02, 2021, 06:17:23 AM
Seriously?

There is only one tea

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant