Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 57584 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #75 on: October 02, 2021, 10:48:47 AM
5 more orcs down. I think can increase the batch count by a couple of models.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #76 on: October 02, 2021, 10:49:11 AM
You've crushed my preconceptions, you bully!  I always assumed you were a PG tips swilling Tesco loiterer.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #77 on: October 05, 2021, 11:46:06 PM
6 more orcs painted. 8 left to go. So many orcs. The only question left is do I disregard the suggestion in the battle book and wait to attach shields or ignore the recommendation and just go ahead and attach the shields.

Next up. I am going with the easy button and painting Army of the Dead. White. Greenish ink wash. Light white highlights. Done. Seems easy if not a bit monotonous.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #78 on: October 06, 2021, 08:05:01 AM
If you’re just playing at home and in friendlies and you cant be bothered then don’t bother with the shields and with a magic flourish of your hand at the start say all the orcs have shields - as long as you’ve paid for them no problem

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #79 on: October 06, 2021, 08:34:32 AM
I think the designers are trying to balance the game somehow for the initial battle scenario by reducing the number of orcs with shields and having the Riders of Rohan not have shields. I just do not want to have to go back and repaint parts of models even if its only a small bit. Anyway progress and momentum must be maintained!

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #80 on: October 06, 2021, 04:25:24 PM
A motion to disregard a suggestion to ignore a recommendation is always in order.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #81 on: October 09, 2021, 08:43:27 AM
How about these for a painting project;

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #82 on: October 09, 2021, 10:11:41 AM
Having painted some for the B and B guy I will say from a distance they look awesome but actually working with them the mould lines are really tough and details are not as crisp as Oathsworn but they are lovely looking figures

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #83 on: October 09, 2021, 10:17:34 AM
How about these for a painting project;

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/

Ooooh, Time Bandits!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #84 on: October 09, 2021, 10:27:48 AM
Is there a Time Bandits RPG or something? I saw the movie decades ago and remember almost nothing of it.

It does raise an interesting discussion regarding the merits of metal, plastic, or resin mini sculpts.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #85 on: October 11, 2021, 07:47:16 PM
It's good to have a family who supports my hobbies. They went to the local Warhammer store and purchased a copy of Warcry Catacombs for my birthday gift. I am pretty excited to build, paint, and play this game. Very much a beer and pretzels skirmish game set in the Age of Sigmar universe. The stock photo below shows all the goods. I will say that Games Workshop does really load up their starter box games with plastic and other bits.

I am really trying to keep my pile of plastic to a manageable size. However, I am also researching a couple of different ancients rulesets for future projects.   

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #86 on: October 11, 2021, 08:31:24 PM
I’m available for adoption whenever you’re ready

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #87 on: October 12, 2021, 12:04:51 AM
I’m available for adoption whenever you’re ready

And I am ready to be adopted into your gaming club. I think this is a clear difference between the States and the UK for miniatures gaming. I have literally played and visited stores all over the U.S. and I have never really seen anything similar to what people from the UK post regarding game clubs. It's a true social event. Here sure there are conventions but at stores there are maybe a couple of tables and a half broken bookshelf with a random assortment of mostly broken terrain. And every now and again you will see a couple of people playing a game of WH40K or AoS. But its not a common occurrence. I am sure they exist...somewhere.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #88 on: October 12, 2021, 12:09:03 AM
Finally finished the painting all of the Mordor orcs. Now I just need to do the basing and spray on some varnish. I am definitely going to do the Army of the Dead next before I undertake painting the Rohan force. And I may shift off painting most evenings to build some of the Warcry terrain and miniatures.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #89 on: October 12, 2021, 09:36:56 AM
I have literally played and visited stores all over the U.S. and I have never really seen anything similar to what people from the UK post regarding game clubs.

Triangle Simulation Society here is pretty close, but they don't have a regular space the way most UK clubs do

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love