Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: "Spring in Munich" Game time is...  (Read 55234 times)

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #90 on: July 06, 2019, 10:05:09 AM
Invading your Kriegsspiel ever so briefly.

Just saw a rather well done video about Kriegsspiel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-seIA9tukDs&feature=youtu.be
  Very well done history of the game in about 15 minutes.

Right, I leave you to your gaming. 

Vive la France!

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #91 on: July 06, 2019, 10:10:30 AM
That’s an excellent video. I posted it on my blog a few days ago. 

It does make me wonder...that video, and many period drawings, depict the participants gathered around a single table, not off in separate spaces. I’m getting the impression that Von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel maybe wasn’t played quite the same way we’ve been playing.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #92 on: July 06, 2019, 10:11:51 AM

It does make me wonder...that video, and many period drawings, depict the participants gathered around a single table, not off in separate spaces. I’m getting the impression that Von Reisswitz Kriegsspiel maybe wasn’t played quite the same way we’ve been playing.

That just means you've improved it!  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #93 on: July 06, 2019, 10:18:03 AM
That may be the case. It may also be that we’ve complicated it.  ???

Cyrano

• Junior Warrant Officer
  • Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #94 on: July 06, 2019, 01:42:11 PM

The modern photos represent life goals for me.  My kind of crazy.  They’ve been around for years and I’ve never been able to suss out  who they are and what palace let them in.

You don’t have to play the KS double-blind,  of course, but you can’t doubt from the rules themselves that that’s how they’re intended to be played.  There were fellows at Historicon that ran 1824 minis games.  Interesting exercise, but, frankly, I’ve always found the move to contact the most interesting.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #95 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:11 PM
Interesting exercise, but, frankly, I’ve always found the move to contact the most interesting.

I as well...and this is what puts us in the "niche of a niche" category.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #96 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:42 PM
0930 19 April 1809.

Yes, we jumped two hours. We have a lot of movement, but no one in contact as of yet. Keep in mind that I may do two, three, or even four hour turns in the interest of moving the game to action. You'll want to write your orders from this perspective. Figure you're providing direction for the day, not hour-by-hour. When something happens, that then may trigger order updates. Otherwise, formations are moving to carry out their existing orders.

In that spirit, we'll have another turn Wednesday evening.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #97 on: July 17, 2019, 10:27:03 PM
...1130 19 April 1809

Thanks to everyone for getting orders and dispatches into me quickly. It makes it MUCH easier to keep things rolling.

A reminder/request: If you send the same dispatch to more than one recipient (and it is much appreciated that you are all sending me those as individual emails) it can be very helpful to your fellows to know that you sent the message to someone else. In the message, putting in something like "Copies to XXX" lets them know that others have also received the message.

Next turn will be Friday, assuming we don't all just spontaneously combust from the heat.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #98 on: July 23, 2019, 10:27:54 PM
...1230 19 April 1809

If you didn't receive a messenger or an update from me, your situation is unchanged, If you need a SITREP, let me know!

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #99 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:19 PM
...1430 19 April 1809

We've jumped two hours again. There was a fair amount going on in terms of movement and positioning this turn, and a good bit of die rolling. I've allowed various commanders to detach small cavalry units for specific missions beyond the generic 10KM radius patrols. Like messengers, I've been rolling to see if these small cavalry detachments come to grief as a result of cavalry skirmishing.

The next turn will be an hour - things are on the verge of happening. My intent is to process the turn Sunday. I'll be out of town from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon and away from my gaming computer.

As always, if you received not messages or updates from me, your situation is unchanged.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #100 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:59 PM
1530 19 April 1809

Apologies for this turn taking a bit longer to get to you than I had hoped. I had car trouble coming home from Ohio on Sunday and then some minor oral surgery on Monday. Yesterday all I wanted to do was get liquored up to recover from the prior two days!

As always, unless you received an update from me, your situation remains the same.

I've been reading Prelude to Waterloo again, mulling over just how completely confused the messaging during the campaign and how this directly impacted Quatre Bras and Ligny. It was a lot more dangerous to be a staff officer carrying messages to a general in combat than our game portrays. If we did what seems historical, an awful lot of messages would never arrive!

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #101 on: August 21, 2019, 10:25:53 PM
...1630 19 April 1809

Apologies for this turn being so tardy. Work took me out back and mugged me the past week or so, which wasn't helped by what I suspect was a case of food poisoning.

Messengers have been sent and units moved. As usual, if you've received no email from me, your situation is unchanged. If you would like a sitrep, please let me know!

Things have calmed down a bit on my end and I'm feeling mostly back to normal. We should be back to a more frequent turn schedule.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #102 on: August 26, 2019, 10:13:04 PM
...1730 19 April 1809

I have some questions out to some of you concerning orders; please respond as quickly as you can. Let me know if you'd like a sitrep. As always, if you received no message from me, your situation hasn't changed.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #103 on: August 28, 2019, 10:46:44 PM
We are holding at 1730 right now. We have a player traveling and I'm waiting on orders. I'd like to advance the turn tomorrow, so if you're planning on getting me orders please do so by then.

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #104 on: August 30, 2019, 10:54:16 PM
1830 19 April 1809

Lots going on!

Since battle, or the possibility of battle, is happening all over, here's some detail about how battles work and what I need to know from you when there is a battle.

Battles happen in two hour rounds. At the end of a round, each side decides if it will continue battle or withdraw, unless one side is completely defeated and has broken.

Battles are fought with three deployment areas: Left, Center, Right. I need to know what forces you want deployed in each of these sectors each round. I also need to know what sector any participating leaders are deployed in.

Units may also be deployed in reserve. Units in reserve can be moved out of reserve and deployed into one of the three sectors at the beginning of a combat round. Units deployed into one of the three sectors can be placed in  reserve at the beginning of a combat round.

Combat happens by rolling a minimum of three dice per side. The side with the higher total roll wins that round and does the difference of the two rolls as morale damage to the losers forces. The winner then takes half of the difference between the rolls as morale losses. Each side can roll additional dice depending on the amount and type of forces engaged, the leaders engaged, terrain, fortifications, flank attacks, etc. Light cavalry adds 1 die, heavy cavalry two. 2:1 odds adds two dice for the attacker, 1:2 odds would add two dice for the defender. Attacking across a minor river would add one die to the defender. Leaders have tactical ratings that can add a die, or, if they are exceptionally poor leaders, subtract a die - but no side ever rolls less than three dice.

If one side wants to break off, there is a disengagement round. During that round only the side breaking off the combat takes morale losses.

Once a unit's morale reaches zero, it breaks. At the end of the round where a unit breaks, the enemy advances into the area the broken unit occupied, and gains a moral advantage. Friendly units adjacent to the broken unit suffer a morale penalty, and likely now have enemy units on their flank.

Due to the above, a unit that seems close to breaking should be removed to the reserve and a fresh unit deployed, if forces are available.

If a side disengaged, there may be a pursuit phase of two hours of movement, where the side that didn't disengage can use his cavalry to pursue. Disengaging cavalry in good order will screen the retreating units, but will take loses, If there's no screening cavalry, retreating infantry will take losses. Broken units not protected by cavalry can take severe losses.
At the end of all the battle rounds, units lose strength points (i.e. take casualties) based on their morale state. Basically, the bigger the morale loss, the worse the casualties. Units also take fatigue for every hour they are in battle.

I hope that helps you have some idea how battles are fought, and helps you plan. As you can see, this is a pretty course system at this level. I may provide a extra die on occasion to someone who tells me they are using some clever tactic, or who has managed to maneuver into the enemy rear, or something of that nature. Having said that, don't try and micro-manage your deployment; the combat system really can't handle those kinds of inputs.