Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Chat with ATG rules authors on Persian Incursion and Harpoon For Training  (Read 3655 times)

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper

Great chat with Larry Bond, Chris Carlson, and Mark Hitchcock on Admiralty Trilogy Group's Persian Incursion Experiences and Harpoon 5 As A Basic Training Tool.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
I'll check it out tonight at work. Thanks!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC

Persian Incursion was well researched (as are all ATG products IMO).  Valuable teaching tool.As to the point about Harpoon and other manual wargames providing better transparency into the efficacy (or lack thereof) of your tactic, I think thatlays in the hands of the GM (especially if any Fog of War exists in the scenario ... and what realistic attempt to model combat does not?).  One of the strengths of any game I have played in which Larry Bond is the GM is the "hot wash" about what "really" happened from the point of view of the GM who had the God's Eye and God's Truth view of the scenario as it played out (and often heard the teams discussing their strategy).  Another excellent example of that was the "Staff Wargaming" events run by Armchair Dragoons and before that the Grogheads at ORIGINS.  Although that uses a computer-based simulation (usually) ... the curtain of the Fog of war is able to be pulled back during the AAR debrief (it doesn't hurt that Dr. Jim is an outstanding teacher) and the strengths and weaknesses of the teams approach is revealed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:23:49 AM by bayonetbrant »

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Rick, as you know bc you were there (and I have pics to prove it!) those staff wargaming events even predated GH and finally the way back to the old, old days when a bunch of us first met back at The Wargamer

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

rickbill

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • https://virtualwargamer.org
    • VWC
yep, and you guys really knocked it out of the park the first time I participated ... and continue to every session I have watched and/or participated in.

I was sad that the year y'all did staff wargaming using Persian Incursion was a year I was otherwise occupied and could not attend.  It sounded well done as well.  And without any USAF vets with strike planning experience amongst the group IIRC.  Well done!   :notworthy:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:07:25 PM by rickbill »