Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 102974 times)

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #45 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:40 PM
Done!
 :D

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #46 on: February 05, 2021, 03:29:37 PM
I just started playing again after this thread...a bit gobsmacked to see a 1.1k strong enemy fleet flying through a system close to me and all I have is.....a fleet of 385 strength.

Heh.  Yeah, for all its flaws, the AI is fairly good in the early game at getting its navy ramped up.  You definitely don't want to fall too far behind them, although it's less of an issue if you're stronger than them in economy and/or technology. 

I don't have any of the DLC - do they add much to the original game?

Short, oversimplified answer: yes. 

A bit longer answer:  Opinions vary, of course, but I personally have found that *in general*, pretty much all the major expansions and story packs enhance the game experience to a greater or lesser degree, and are all worth picking up at some point.  Some of them are only worth getting when they're on sale, but I would at least deem them worth getting at that price.  (Of course, I recommend only grabbing DLC when it's on sale anyway, but I'll also cheerfully admit to being a bit of a cheapskate frugal in that regard. ;)

In contrast, you can easily skip the species packs, unless one of them particularly appeals to you.  (I'll admit I really like the Humanoids pack, for instance, despite it not affecting gameplay in the least.  Not so much for the additional ship pack and race portraits, but for the new advisor voices, which I find add a nice bit of immersion & atmosphere to the game.) 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 02:41:53 AM by Martok »

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #47 on: February 05, 2021, 03:34:10 PM
Here's how I personally rank Stellaris' DLC (I place them in tiers): 

S) Utopia*

A) Leviathans**, Distant Stars**, Apocalypse*

B) Ancient Relics**, Synthetic Dawn**, Federations*

C) MegaCorp*, Humanoids

D) Lithoids, Necroids

F) Plantoids

*   = major expansion
** = story pack

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:39:38 PM by Martok »

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #48 on: February 05, 2021, 03:45:59 PM
Martok I'll be sending you a bill, I now own Stellaris and the Utopia DLC thanks to your advice ......    :nerd:

While I wait for the download and a chance to dive in to the game do you have any recommend resources I should read to help get my feet wet?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #49 on: February 05, 2021, 04:27:53 PM
I'mma do something crazy and play the BASE game, and if it intrigues me/keeps me occupied for more than a few hours, I might consider getting the DLC.  :D

Like I said...N-V-T-S nuts.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #50 on: February 05, 2021, 04:39:06 PM
Soon we will start a Armchair Dragoons Stellaris multiplayer festival!

judgedredd

Reply #51 on: February 05, 2021, 05:26:09 PM
So I bought some of the DLC - does it "enter play" automatically or would I have to start a new game (I'm resuming my campaign)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #52 on: February 06, 2021, 12:54:34 AM
Martok I'll be sending you a bill, I now own Stellaris and the Utopia DLC thanks to your advice ......    :nerd:

While I wait for the download and a chance to dive in to the game do you have any recommend resources I should read to help get my feet wet?

Ha, you're welcome.  :biggrin: 

As far as guides go, PCGamesN just put out this one a couple weeks ago.  I skimmed through the article, and it looks pretty good. 

Otherwise, ASpec (who's a noted Stellaris "super-fan) put together a couple excellent videos covering the basics to get people started.  They technically only cover version 2.7 (the videos are from last year), but otherwise are still relevant. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:57:20 AM by Martok »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #53 on: February 06, 2021, 01:07:10 AM
I'mma do something crazy and play the BASE game, and if it intrigues me/keeps me occupied for more than a few hours, I might consider getting the DLC.  :D

Like I said...N-V-T-S nuts.

Are...are you okay?  Do we need to send someone to do a welfare check?  ??? 

So I bought some of the DLC - does it "enter play" automatically or would I have to start a new game (I'm resuming my campaign)

You can continue playing your current game.  It's just going to be missing any DLC features related to map generation (marauder clans, ruined megastructures, leviathans, etc.).  However, any new DLC-related techs, ships, ascension perks, etc. should still show up at the appropriate time(s). 

Which ones did you end up getting, by the way? 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 02:55:22 AM by Martok »

judgedredd

Reply #54 on: February 06, 2021, 01:48:26 AM
I got
Apocalypse, Federations, Humanoids, Megacorps and Utopia

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Stellaris is on sale - including the DLC - though that little lot still cost me £40 (all the DLC cost £70 - and that was at 50%!)

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
Reply #55 on: February 06, 2021, 02:22:58 AM
Funny how a simple thread can make you excited for a game again, isn’t it? :)

I have started a Human Dominion game and after watching the linked videos I am really wanting to play more now. 🤣

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #56 on: February 06, 2021, 03:10:12 AM
I got
Apocalypse, Federations, Humanoids, Megacorps and Utopia

Nice!  :bigthumb: 

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Stellaris is on sale - including the DLC - though that little lot still cost me £40 (all the DLC cost £70 - and that was at 50%!)

Thanks, JD.  I noticed the sale as well, but kept forgetting to say something.  I just now went and mentioned it in the sale thread.  :) 

And it wouldn't be a Paradox game if it didn't have a ton of DLC available for it (that collectively costs an arm and a leg).  The trick is to only purchase 1-2 of them at a time, so that it doesn't feel like you're spending as much...  ::) 

Funny how a simple thread can make you excited for a game again, isn’t it? :)

I have started a Human Dominion game and after watching the linked videos I am really wanting to play more now. 🤣

Excellent.  8) 

judgedredd

Reply #57 on: February 06, 2021, 05:28:36 AM
When you discover your neighbours are dicks   :waiting:

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
Reply #58 on: February 06, 2021, 07:57:53 AM
How do you guys handle your military buildup early game? In almost all games I end up with inferior military in relation to others I meet .
If I encounter hostile factions its often quickly going downhill from there. Yet I never seem to have proper funding to support a decent fleet.  :waiting:

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #59 on: February 06, 2021, 09:50:29 AM
I just started playing again after this thread...a bit gobsmacked to see a 1.1k strong enemy fleet flying through a system close to me and all I have is.....a fleet of 385 strength.

I don't have any of the DLC - do they add much to the original game?

Keep in mind that there are some AI players that start pretty strong, or even extremely strong from the start; Ancients and marauders.

With that said, you have to slowly build up your fleet strength.  This means using alloys, which can slow you expansion.  However, if normal AI empires are you neighbors see that your weaker then them and they want  one or more of your systems, they won't hesitate to declare war on you.  Use the diplomacy screen to monitor how you compare to  your neighbors that boarder you. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.