Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: The Falklands War  (Read 4960 times)

judgedredd

on: December 09, 2022, 08:44:38 AM
You know - I've heard in the past (reliable sources) that Scimitars and Scorpions (the UK's light recon vehicles) were present in The Falklands conflict - but you know what, I don't recall - in all the books and videos I've read and seen of that conflict - ever reading or seeing these vehicles in the conflict.

I'm sure they were there - I'm not questioning that - just that - where exactly? I've read/seen NOTHING of them there.

Bad memory - so I might have read/seen them - but I don't recall

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 09:05:25 AM
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/UK/FV107-Scimitar.php

First engagement of the Scimitar came with the Blue & Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons) in the 1982 Falklands War. This was the only armored vehicle in action in the Falklands, where they played a critical role in cornering the Argentine forces in the outskirts of Port Stanley. One was damaged by a mine but was recovered and carried by a Chinook HC.1 helicopter in safety. The crew remains unscathed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV101_Scorpion#:~:text=Combat%20use,-Scorpion%20advancing%20across&text=Two%20troops%20from%20B%20Squadron,served%20in%20the%20Gulf%20War.

Two troops from B Squadron, Blues and Royals served in the Falklands War. One troop was equipped with four Scorpions, the other with four FV107 Scimitars. These were the only armoured vehicles used in action by the British Army during the conflict.[24]

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 11:49:32 AM
Yeah - but like I said, I don't doubt it - but I don't recall it being mentioned in any documentaries or reading about it in any books.

And now I've said that, I do recall troops sitting on one I think coming ashore at San Carlos.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 11:54:25 AM
I mean nothing by it - only curiosity in your passion JD

Were you in the Falklands?

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 11:58:34 AM
So much so that he refers to them as "Lower Scotland"  :2funny:

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 03:16:25 PM
I mean nothing by it - only curiosity in your passion JD

Were you in the Falklands?
I wasn't during the conflict. I was there in 1985...June to November

I have a passionate interest for the conflict because my brother and I watched every single report on it and it's what made us decide to join up.

Also the difficulty of the task always enthralled me...and it was on a knife edge
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 03:21:07 PM by judgedredd »

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 08:22:40 PM
Hoi as 'moi' recalls this 'War' due with being in the 'Shipyards' at "Seattle" before and afterward. Once finished/assessed, then A-L-L 'Vessels' would have HAD their lousy 'Aluminum Armour' doubled  "as if" THAT alone might reduce 'catastrophic'/"fatal infliction" from then current 'Anti-Ship Missiles'-!-?-!