Author Topic: Ardennes ' 44 - Learning Game  (Read 1262 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #30 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:19 PM
Its the dynamics of the Ardennes Offensive that make it such a fascinating and much gamed topic.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

judgedredd

• Lancer
  • OJsdad - No, she just told me to drop them. Been s
Reply #31 on: January 24, 2021, 04:21:50 PM
Noice

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #32 on: January 24, 2021, 08:05:28 PM
Great AAR so far. I've played this a bit on Vassal and enjoyed it.

Thanks!

I realize just looking at counters can be very misleading, but man do the Allies appear to be badly outnumbered .  :-\ 

Very true and I can see how in the actual battle the thin line of Allied units felt like the whole weight of the German army was coming against their small part of the front.  You should see the casualties piles, lots of Allied units not so many German.  Not sure if its normal for the game or just my mismanagement of the Allied defense.  However, the German rolls of loss of supply have all gone in their favor so their has barely been a pause in the relentless attacks.

Its the dynamics of the Ardennes Offensive that make it such a fascinating and much gamed topic.

It is my first real Bulge game and I can see why this has been gamed and looked at so many times in so many different ways.

Noice

:bigthumb:

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 09:00:22 PM
Its been awhile, but I thought I had already posted this turn...

December 21st brings more winter weather, frozen mud roads and the Allies to the brink of disaster. The breakout the Allied commanders have feared may be upon them.

The southern shoulder of the attack remains static with the Germans happy to hold a line and divert supplies and reinforcements west and north but the forward elements of Patton's 3rd Army are arriving and will soon be testing the German flank.

Bastogne is still stubbornly held but supplies are beginning to dwindle as they hold off several German attacks. West of Bastogne the 101st Airborne hold a thin line desperately waiting for Patton to drive his 3rd Army northward and into the Germans that are beginning to slowly push westward.

But to the north disaster looms as SS Panzer divisions somehow scrounge fuel and supplies and exploit the thinly held Allied lines north of Hotton and punch across the Ourthe racing across undefended ground towards newly arrived British troops.

Can you spot the opportunity that both German and Allied commanders are just realizing lies open ....

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 05:42:43 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'