Author Topic: Battle of Mycale  (Read 315 times)

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:08 PM
The battle of Mycale is another medium sized battle from Hoplite.  I'm playing the meeting engagement, which allows Greeks to move onto the map, and starts the Persians undeployed inside their camp.

The Greek light infantry under Perilaus moved up quickly, so fast that they were able to engage the Persians before they could deploy their medium infantry. Perilaus' troops behaved excellently and absolutely crashed through and routed the Persian line of archers in front of them.

A bit of cohesion lost though, and the Athenian and allied Greek hoplites were not able to come to their assistance quickly enough. Tigranes commits the Persian medium infantry, and they in turn rout the disorganized Greek light infantry command.

With both sides having taken heavy losses, Perilaus tries to rally his men, as the Athenian hoplites move in to assault the Persian line of medium infantry along the creek. Spartan reinforcements approach from the rear.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 03:24:41 AM
I feel like I should have popcorn for this.  :) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 06:51:04 AM
 :bigthumb:

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 05:55:44 AM
The 2nd Athenian and Allied assault was too much for the Persians.  Their medium infantry was never able to quite get organized, and at this point their army is demoralized enough to suffer a rout. The spartan reinforcements never quite got into the fight, arriving on turn 3 when the fight was already well underway. The quick initial attack by the greek light infantry, followed closely by the Hoplite assault kept the Persians from ever getting into proper formation.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:03:43 AM
Oh man, the Spartans are gonna be irked if they don't get at least a piece of the action! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

GriffinTwoSix

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:20:33 AM
Haha from what I understand the Spartans have something of a history of showing up late for battles... I think Marathon is one where they were a couple days late, and believe there's atleast one more big one.  Always some sort of 'feast' or something more important than fighting battles going on for them it seems lol.

judgedredd

• Lancer
  • OJsdad - No, she just told me to drop them. Been s
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:36 AM
I don't know about the era at all...but kudos for the AAR.

Alba gu' brath

ojsdad - "No, she just told me to drop them. Been so long since woman told me to do that I just did it."

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 10:46:52 PM
 :applause:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming