Author Topic: Nice fleet action game just came out, Far Distant Ships  (Read 438 times)

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
I'm going to try and get an after action up of this fleet level quick play rule set this weekend. I love David Manley rules. I have played his Form Line Of Battle for years at our local conventions (and his Iron and Fire, You May Fire When Ready Gridley! rules sets are also really nicely done). Anyhow, https://www.wargamevault.com/product/352181/Far-Distant-Ships more soon on this one. I may just setup a few larger fleet actions in table top simulator and show off a few of its rules decision points as a solo taped match.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:30:44 AM
Interesting, I look forward to your thoughts.  :bigthumb:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Sir Slash

• Corporal
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:11:16 PM
I'm in! Pass the popcorn.  :bigthumb:

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 04:40:26 PM
I'd like to see it, too. The blub hits all the right spots.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 07:44:23 PM
I've got a playtest module set up to run the Battle Of Cape Henry, 16th March 1781. It is a battle I've run many times over at conventions using David's more tactical level rules Form Line Of Battle so I thought it would be a good litmus for how well Far Distant Ships differs in execution and for command and control in particular (which I think was a bit missing in FloB). I know exactly why David went this direction with a new ruleset as not many other rules do this level of grand tactical age of sail too well.

Here is a pic of my having run this scenario with Form Line Of Battle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JnvaGN36deB8Ue8L7  (this was at Southern Front 2019, the last full convention we'd run locally)

Anyhow, I digress. I am scheduled to do a full playthrough Sunday evening. I am also scheduling an interview with David Manley about the new rule set within the week.

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 09:00:56 PM
I only had time for a quick Part 1 for now:
  This goes over the quick play sheets relatively well and the battle background overall for Cape Henry, 1781. I'll get into some turn play thrus in a Part 2 soon-ish. Ran out of time.

PeterRobbins

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:09:02 PM
At 5PM Eastern US time on April 8th (tomorrow as of writing this) I'll be continuing my play thru review with the rules author present to answer questions and chat a bit throughout:

It will of course be taped for later viewing. Or you can attend in real-time and ask questions as we walk through a few turns during the interview.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Trooper
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:36 PM
I'd like to see it, too. The blub hits all the right spots.

Blub?

The keyboard on my work laptop is headed south quickly. Yep, that's it. That's my story.

Sorry to interrupt. I'll go watch the videos as soon as the Meeting o' Death is over.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd