Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Meeting BG Ryder  (Read 2573 times)

Dvader69

• Fresh Recruit
on: October 21, 2023, 01:49:37 AM
I was a US Army active duty physician (for about 20 yrs).
I did my medical school training in Washington DC and had multiple rotations at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.’

Prior to medical school, I was a combat medic in 82d and a FA officer with tours in the 82d, XVIIIth ABN Corps and SOCOM.

One day, while at WRAMC, one of my fellow medical school students, who knew of my previous association with the Airborne, told me that there was an old retired brigadier general on the ward. 

To my surprise, it was BG Ryder, the original test platoon commander.

I was in awe and recounted to him the reverence instilled in us as young paratroopers in the 82d  who were required to know our military heritage.

He seemed delighted that I was aware of his past and told me the following story:’

By the end of the war, he had risen from 1LT to COL and was  on the personal staff of General of the Army Douglas McArthur in occupied Japan.

COL Ryder’’s wife was allowed to be with her husband in Japan and had the distinction of deliverying the first American dependent in occupied Japan.

Well, GOA McArthur, true to form seized this publicity opportunity and demanded to be the child’s godfather.

COL Ryder then explained that his son had the distinct additional honor of pissing on the good general!

Mike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 06:42:02 AM
 ;D

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 08:48:17 AM
that's pretty funny ;D

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love