Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Car Wars 6e -- I Just Dunno  (Read 7960 times)

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
on: November 27, 2019, 03:56:01 PM
Just got the link to the "pre-backer-backerkit" from SJG.

I was and early an enthusiastic supporter of its reboot of TFT.  They delivered a terrific product on time that exceeded my expectations.

I think they're going to screw this one up.

Too, too much in the promotional video about how "Car Wars" was a spreadsheet with cars and how it had to be modern and mesh with the contemporary board game scene.  They argue that the early naughties reboot didn't do enough to move the franchise forward.  Problem?  It gets lost in the modern boardgame maelstrom. Based on the models and what I've been able to see of gameplay, it's certainly shallower, likely a bit simpler in the worst way, and will not generate the nerdy joy of building your very own death jalopy and unleashing it on friends.

Ah, but I should be cautious.  Many remember this game very fondly -- I certainly do - and perhaps that memory will be sufficient.  It is also gratifying to hear them speak of how "Car Wars", for those who were not there, was once for SJG what "Munchkin" now is.

I'll be over here with my "Uncle Albert's" catalogues and ADQs.

Sergeant-at-Arms - Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Negotiator of the fragile peace between Ruritania and Strakenz

Weeple Herder to the Emperor

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:55:46 PM
The beauty of the TFT reboot is that they didn't change the game, they just made it better looking and added to it. This isn't a reboot, it's a completely different game with the original name.

Hard pass.

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 01:26:10 AM
This is their attempt to get some of the attention away from Gaslands (which is a blast to play, incidentally). I don't know how successful it's likely to be because most people who are already playing that are pretty happy with it.

Okay, having taken a look at some of the stuff on their Facebook page, I really don't see it. I can buy the Gaslands core book for around $30 Canadian and have it up and running with some Matchbox cars and a few random items as blocking terrain. That's the appeal of that system : it isn't expensive to get into it at all, but you can throw down as much as you want on customizing your Matchbox cars and coming up with tracks and what not.  Plus, you can run it for a dozen people if you want to. So why in the Hell am I going to drop $75 US for this thing that works for 4 players maximum?

They're trying to compete with a product that already has an established player base and which is massively customizable in terms of player counts and game modes. Besides SJG and Car Wars diehards, I don't see who the market for this even is.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:31:43 AM by Arctic Blast »

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 07:01:59 PM
Well, though not for us, it's soaring already with over $250,000 pledged on the first day.

I wish them no ill will, but your point about Gaslands is very well taken. It's the system I think I always wanted "Car Wars" to be and is a far more reasonable investment.

The TTS set is excellent in the bargain.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 07:27:31 PM
I bought Gaslands, tried it, hated it.  Rollng dice to shift gears?  No thanks.  Having said that, I don't care for the direction they took 6e Car Wars.  Looks to me like they oversimplified it and copied way too much from Gaslands while throwing out way too much that was Car Wars.  I might pick up the minis and maps and use them with the original rules.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 07:38:32 PM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 08:00:51 PM
I bought Gaslands, tried it, hated it.  Rollng dice to shift gears?  No thanks.  Having said that, I don't care for the direction they took 6e Car Wars.  Looks to me like they oversimplified it and copied way too much from Gaslands while throwing out way too much that was Car Wars.  I might pick up the minis and maps and use them with the original rules.

Classic "Car Wars" with Dueltrack it is, then.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:17:27 PM
this would've been the campaign to back

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/pocket-box-games-of-the-eighties/description

I literally have everything in the $200 Car Wars reward level in that campaign.....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

Arctic Blast

• Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 09:27:46 PM
and of course it's making scads of money in the latest example of "I don't understand gamers at all".

Cyrano

• Corporal
  • JK Actual
    • Kriegsspieler
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:53 PM
FOMO has an awful lot to do with it, I think.

Capn Darwin

• Trooper
  • Rocket Scientist and Game Designer
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 07:33:49 AM
Just buy a copy of Battle Cattle. It's like Car Wars with weaponized bovines. I am not a fan of the over simplification (dumbing down) of gaming in general over the years. Sad state of affairs.  :tickedoff:

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 07:37:27 AM
Huge fan of Car Wars back in the day. In fact I did a bunch of Car Wars nostalgia articles back at The Other SiteTM some time ago.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 08:16:51 AM
Huge fan of Car Wars back in the day. In fact I did a bunch of Car Wars nostalgia articles back at The Other SiteTM some time ago.

Never saw them. Where were they posted?

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 08:43:20 AM
Pretty sure this is yet another "what front page" joke, but here: http://grogheads.com/tag/car-wars

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 08:58:29 AM
Pretty sure this is yet another "what front page" joke

>:D

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.