Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: NYT Covers Scramble for Africa Controversy  (Read 28709 times)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 10:27:58 AM
But that just points out what is wrong with society today... if you happen to do activity A and some who also do activity A are assholes then EVERYONE who does activity A is an asshole because you do activity A.

The problem is that the assholes are the also ones who tend to be the most vocal and become de facto the representatives for everyone.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 10:35:00 AM
The problem is that the assholes are the also ones who tend to be the most vocal and become de facto the representatives for everyone.

this is true of pretty much any group

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 10:46:06 AM
But that just points out what is wrong with society today... if you happen to do activity A and some who also do activity A are assholes then EVERYONE who does activity A is an asshole because you do activity A.

The problem is that people can't be bothered to see what the rest of any group is like... it's called fucking lazy....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 11:05:06 AM

The problem is that people can't be bothered to see what the rest of any group is like... it's called fucking lazy....

It's called perception is reality.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 11:06:02 AM
Empathy is a lost art.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 11:15:10 AM

this is true of pretty much any group

Sure, I just don't think it should come as a surprise to any group when they are the ones that garner attention from the larger world.

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 11:16:33 AM
I've never known any of the 'Klukkers' or SS Fan Boys to be intelligent enough to play any REAL games.  I think they're just Wargame Wannabees. So, don't paint us all with the same brush NYT.  >:(

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 11:22:35 AM
The SS fanbois definitely play. I can't say that I've found any I've encountered to be particularly intelligent or good players, but they are not uncommon within the hobby.

trailrunner

• Corporal
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 12:06:02 PM
The SS fanbois definitely play. I can't say that I've found any I've encountered to be particularly intelligent or good players, but they are not uncommon within the hobby.

I'm still relatively new to wargaming, and I find this surprising.  Although on the other hand, I'm sure they're out there just like they are in the general population, and maybe more so in a white-male-conservative-leaning hobby like wargaming, so I really shouldn't be surprised.  I never really put two and two together and thought that modern-day Nazis would play out their Nazi fantasies on the German side of a wargame.  I'm naive.

I’ve spent half my life’s earning on wargames, women, and drink. The rest I wasted.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 12:10:20 PM
I've never known any of the 'Klukkers' or SS Fan Boys to be intelligent enough to play any REAL games.  I think they're just Wargame Wannabees. So, don't paint us all with the same brush NYT.  >:(

I dunno - I didn't take that away from the article at all. 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 12:12:17 PM
I'm still relatively new to wargaming, and I find this surprising.  Although on the other hand, I'm sure they're out there just like they are in the general population, and maybe more so in a white-male-conservative-leaning hobby like wargaming, so I really shouldn't be surprised.  I never really put two and two together and thought that modern-day Nazis would play out their Nazi fantasies on the German side of a wargame.  I'm naive.

I'm naive too. It was quite a jolt the first time I saw a dude wearing a Das Reich ball cap.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 12:27:32 PM

I dunno - I didn't take that away from the article at all.

Someone in the WG thread on FB mentioned they'd seen a dude playing in the minis hall, dressed in a "full SS uniform." Wearing an SS ball cap is pretty odd, but Lord, a full flippin' SS uniform?

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 12:58:53 PM
I suspect that the crowds at most cons you attend are very different than most wargaming/minis focused cons. I can say for certain that the crowd at Origins is substantially different than say Historicon.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 01:02:56 PM
I see a lot more idiots at Cons wearing leftist insanity glorifying communists than I do Nazi/Confederate stuff.

Sigh... stuff like this does not help. What age were the "idiots" wearing the "leftist insanity glorifying communists" stuff? Most I'd gather were too young to even understand what they were wearing...
And just what is "leftist insanity glorifying communists" stuff?
Jackholes wearing SS anything know exactly what they are wearing....

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 01:03:46 PM
When I did E3 with the Wargamer crew back in 2003, the game Blitzkrieg was being pimped. The developer had imposing actors dressed in full Wehrmacht uniforms, sporting (fake) MP-40s. Something like that, I totally get (it certainly drew attention, which is what they wanted). Just being a random dude wanting to dress like that...well, it reminds me of the Halloween episode of South Park where Cartman dressed up like Hitler. I don't dare search for that clip here at work.  ;D