Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Matrix/Slitherine  (Read 21443 times)

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 08:11:40 AM
I'm downloading Imperator: Rome now.  I did at least get a 15% discount through Green Man Gaming.  :sigh:

I'm hoping they announce Victoria 3 next.  :bigthumb:

Just play Stellaris instead.  It has the same boring, overly-complex economy now. 

(Sigh.)

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

panzerde

• Corporal
  • Kriegsherr
    • Cry Havoc
Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 08:17:56 AM

Their attempt to transition Distant Worlds 2 to 3D has placed it in development purgatory. 

If they'd kept the game 2D, I'm pretty sure it would've released last year already, maybe even back in 2017.  Now, though?  I honestly doubt we'll see it come out until sometime next decade. 

I'm downloading Imperator: Rome now.  I did at least get a 15% discount through Green Man Gaming.  :sigh:

Just play Stellaris instead.  It has the same boring, overly-complex economy now. 

(Sigh.)
[/quote]

Everything you say is completely true. None of it makes me happy.  :(

I actually don't really like games.

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 09:46:33 AM

(Sigh.)

BURN THE HERETICS!!!!!!

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 09:48:17 AM
Well, it is Martok. Burning might be a bit extreme. We could just make him watch Star Trek Discovery all day long.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #49 on: April 26, 2019, 10:45:02 AM
Matrix has been hinting that their doing Distant Worlds 2 for like 2 years now.  They finally posted and update a few days ago and said their still working on it.  That was after at least 6 months of nothing.  Paradox is good at announcing games and then giving updates as to content and screenshots.  Yes, they always caveat the screenshots as work in progress, but Matrix seems scared to talk about DW2 at all.  They have people regularly asking about the game.

That one is another painful one to me. DW was the best 4X game around at the time. There are still things about it I like more than Stellaris. DW2 should have been out a long time ago - but I realize developers, particularly small developers, miss deadlines. I really get the sense though that it doesn't fit the current Matrix/Slitherine business model and I'll be surprised if we ever see it.

Their attempt to transition Distant Worlds 2 to 3D has placed it in development purgatory. 

If they'd kept the game 2D, I'm pretty sure it would've released last year already, maybe even back in 2017.  Now, though?  I honestly doubt we'll see it come out until sometime next decade. 

(Sigh.)

Personally, I like the more complex economic pieces of their games.  I do understand that it's not for everyone.  With that said, I did enjoy DW, and look forward to DW2.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 03:21:24 PM
Well, it is Martok. Burning might be a bit extreme. We could just make him watch Star Trek Discovery all day long.

I'd sooner be consigned to the flames and eternal damnation.  >:(   

Personally, I like the more complex economic pieces of their games.  I do understand that it's not for everyone. 

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but ever since the release of Megacorp and the 2.2 update, managing my planets in Stellaris is about as fun as watching paint dry.  I can't enjoy the game at all anymore unless I first roll it back to 2.13 (if not earlier -- I still despise a lot of the changes made in 2.0 as well). 

Gods knows the older version (with the planets being made of tiles) was far from perfect -- the biggest problem, of course, being that it was micromanagement-intensive -- but at least that still felt somewhat engaging.  Now, though, my eyes automatically glaze over when trying to figure out the economy, as it's become too abstract.  Districts, jobs, alloys, and "trade value" may be great for some folks, but it's way too...bloodless for me. 

With that said, I did enjoy DW, and look forward to DW2.

Same. 

What I find both odd and ironic is that I enjoy DW's economic model immensely, *and* that I can wrap my brain around it without giving myself a headache.  The game's high degree of automation is obviously a big help with this, but ultimately it's also a lot simpler than what you find in Victoria II or Stellaris. 

In Distant Worlds, you ultimately just need to make sure you a sufficient supply of whatever resources you're using.  If you do, all is well; if not, then your economy (and your empire in general) suffers. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #51 on: April 26, 2019, 04:01:25 PM
Paradox totally screwed up Sectors in Stellaris.  I think they were trying to get people to have narrow tall empires that would allow people to micromanager their planets more.  But people like me like wide empires and didn't have too many issues with the Sector AI. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 09:42:09 PM
I’ve bought one computer game in the last several years and that was The Operational Art of War IV. Decent enough game but frankly I’d rather play games at the table and get away from staring at a computer screen.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:49:21 PM by Bison »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 01:37:35 AM
Paradox totally screwed up Sectors in Stellaris.  I think they were trying to get people to have narrow tall empires that would allow people to micromanager their planets more.  But people like me like wide empires and didn't have too many issues with the Sector AI.

Making tall empires a viable option is great.  Trying to coerce gamers into playing one is not.  Wide or tall, they should both have their advantages & disadvantages. 

And yes, sectors (while never exactly wonderful) have become far worse in 2.2.  While it sounds like it's one of the higher-priority items that will be addressed in the next update, it would've been much better if they'd simply not been borked in the first place. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 08:47:24 AM
That's one of my biggest problems with Paradox. "The next patch will make things great!"
It's always the next patch. I end up never playing because there's always a next patch.

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #55 on: April 27, 2019, 09:36:09 AM
It's nice that we can bash on all the publishers equally. Fair and Balanced  ;D

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #56 on: April 27, 2019, 09:40:20 AM
All this bashing reminds me of a high stakes game of Agricola. The tension. The intrigue. The not so subtle shanking of your opposition.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #57 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:08 AM
Still not going to play Agricola

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #58 on: April 27, 2019, 09:47:30 AM
You will when I visit your neck of Canada again.

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #59 on: April 27, 2019, 09:47:57 AM
Still not going to play Agricola

What if they add ZOMBIES to it?

-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy