Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Field of Glory Empires  (Read 25135 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #60 on: May 26, 2022, 03:18:25 PM
Yes, FoG:E does indeed have a somewhat steep learning curve -- a fact that quickly came back to me when was playing around with it again a couple weeks ago.  :-[ 

It does a number of things differently from other grand-strategy games, which is a double-edged sword.  On the one hand, it's trying to avoid the same old formulas, and to prevent the player from simply "painting the map" as the only true path to victory, which I really, really like.  But the new mechanics & features does mean having to effectively un-learn/re-learn some of the ways in which I'm used to playing my 4x/GS games. 

And as Sir Slash pointed out, if he can figure out a game like WITE, then surely the rest of us can likewise learn a different game as well.  ;) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #61 on: May 26, 2022, 10:58:15 PM
I learned it Martok, but damned if I can beat it.  >:(  The mark of a truly great game.

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #62 on: May 27, 2022, 03:43:34 AM
Indeed.  As long as the game keeps you coming back for more punishment, that's what truly matters.  ;) 

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #63 on: May 27, 2022, 06:20:26 AM
Its been on my 'follow' list for a long time.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #64 on: May 27, 2022, 06:58:54 AM
I love this game and the core decadence mechanic. Even wrote an article about it for a gaming magazine and did some let's play eries and explanaition streams on it, those are all in German though, unfortunately.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #65 on: May 27, 2022, 10:01:26 AM
I did a couple of MP games with this.  I just couldn't get into it very much.  It just seemed shallow and repetitive during the entire game.  Conquer lands, build some buildings, put down revolts, rinse and repeat. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #66 on: May 27, 2022, 10:28:18 AM
I did a couple of MP games with this.  I just couldn't get into it very much.  It just seemed shallow and repetitive during the entire game.  Conquer lands, build some buildings, put down revolts, rinse and repeat.

Same here.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #67 on: May 27, 2022, 11:15:52 AM

Same here.

The big thing for FoG:E is being able to do battles in FoG:2, but that's not an option in MP games. 

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #68 on: May 27, 2022, 11:49:29 AM
I enjoy the multiplayer quite a lot. You need to turn AI difficulty up to have a proper challenge.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #69 on: May 27, 2022, 01:07:39 PM
The big thing for FoG:E is being able to do battles in FoG:2, but that's not an option in MP games.

Interesting.  Personally, I didn't mind skipping the battles (I don't own FoG:2).  If the game had included its own battle system, I might have used it, but otherwise I wasn't really bothered by the lack. 

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #70 on: May 27, 2022, 03:32:10 PM
Don't believe that Anguille. I learned War In The East at 65.  :biggrin:
Yeah, thanks...it's just that i don't have the energy right now (4 kids and working all week)....btw, i still have to learn War in the East as well  :doh:

Yes, FoG:E does indeed have a somewhat steep learning curve -- a fact that quickly came back to me when was playing around with it again a couple weeks ago.  :-[ 
It does a number of things differently from other grand-strategy games, which is a double-edged sword.  On the one hand, it's trying to avoid the same old formulas, and to prevent the player from simply "painting the map" as the only true path to victory, which I really, really like.  But the new mechanics & features does mean having to effectively un-learn/re-learn some of the ways in which I'm used to playing my 4x/GS games. 
Can't remember when i had so much trouble learning a game without reading the entire manual. It was probably Reach for the stars in 2002.

I learned it Martok, but damned if I can beat it.  >:(  The mark of a truly great game.
Yeah, that's the next problem but at least i want to understand what i am doing in a game. In FoG i just don't have a clue for the moment.   :doh: