Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Interstellar Space Genesis  (Read 28379 times)

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #90 on: May 01, 2022, 04:46:55 PM
The glacial pace is the reason I didn't persist with it, which is a shame because I liked what I saw otherwise. I keep meaning to go back to it but I keep thinking about how long it would take to get a good game going...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:16:14 PM by Huw the Poo »

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #91 on: May 02, 2022, 05:05:12 AM
Yeah, ISG does a pretty decent job of sticking to the standard 4x game design, whilst mixing things up enough by adding elements (such as Space Culture and the extended exploration mechanics) to keep traditionalists happy, while keeping the game from just being a tired retread of the same old formula.  It's mainly in the pacing and (to a lesser extent) the visual presentation where ISG is lacking. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #92 on: May 06, 2022, 01:32:30 AM
Rob & Drexy from Explorminate sit down and interview Adam Solo & Kieth Turner, ISG's two lead/primary developers, to talk about the upcoming expansion, Evolving Empires: 

https://anchor.fm/explorminate/episodes/Episode-41-Praxis-Games-Interview-on-ISG-Evolving-Empires-e1i3fk2

I'm normally not a big podcast guy, but I actually listened to most of this one.  I always like what these guys have to say.  You can tell that Adam & Kieth genuinely put a great deal of thought into the game's design, and 4x design in general. 

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #93 on: May 06, 2022, 03:05:17 AM
Yeah I listened to it in the car on the way back home.
If one thing became clear its that I definitely haven’t given the game the time it deserves at all.
They talked about so many fun little ways things interact with eachother in the game and I’ve always approached it as a relic; a MOO clone that tries to capture the old school gameplay of 4x.
Boy, was I wrong!

Still, the slow pacing of gameplay truely tests my patience. That is fact.

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #94 on: May 06, 2022, 07:51:48 AM
Yeah I listened to it in the car on the way back home.
If one thing became clear its that I definitely haven’t given the game the time it deserves at all.
They talked about so many fun little ways things interact with eachother in the game and I’ve always approached it as a relic; a MOO clone that tries to capture the old school gameplay of 4x.
Boy, was I wrong!

Still, the slow pacing of gameplay truely tests my patience. That is fact.

I haven't tried yet either, because I thought it was just an attempt to relive MOO.  But looking again, I may have to give it a try.

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #95 on: May 07, 2022, 03:34:30 AM
For those interested, Praxis has made the 1.4 update (which will be accompanying the release of Evolving Empires) available as a beta: 

https://steamcommunity.com/games/984680/announcements/detail/3194751677684829622

I’ve always approached it as a relic; a MOO clone that tries to capture the old school gameplay of 4x.
Boy, was I wrong!

I haven't tried yet either, because I thought it was just an attempt to relive MOO.  But looking again, I may have to give it a try.

I too had initially made the same (erroneous) assumption, that IS:G was just another MOO clone (in a genre already over-saturated with them).  It wasn't until I started seeing some surprisingly positive feedback and subsequently sitting down to play the game myself, that I realized it only *looks* like a MOO clone -- it actually plays out rather differently. 

Yskonyn is still correct in saying ISG's pacing remains overly slow, especially/at least in the early game.  But it does genuinely try to do things a bit differently, and not simply retread the same old formula. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #96 on: May 17, 2022, 05:15:06 AM
This week's dev diary looks at the specific Evolution Perks for each of the main (non-DLC) races: 

https://interstellarspacegame.com/forums/index.php?threads/isg-dev-diary-16-evolving-empires-evolution-perks.1782/

https://steamcommunity.com/games/984680/announcements/detail/4459137986482941797

I will say, I'm pretty impressed by the amount of thought they've put into these.  Each race has a pretty strong & unique "theme" when it comes to their Evolution Perks, with each "branch/fork" offering genuinely interesting choices.  I can already see how will deepen & enrich each play-through. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #97 on: May 18, 2022, 03:43:53 PM
Evolving Empires releases May 25.  (Dang, this is going to be an expensive month for me. ;D

https://interstellarspacegame.com/forums/index.php?threads/interstellar-space-genesis-evolving-empires-release-date-announced.1783/

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #98 on: May 19, 2022, 12:12:41 AM
But well worth it  :groovy:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #99 on: May 19, 2022, 03:00:55 AM
^  Preach it, brother! 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: May 24, 2022, 12:00:24 AM
Dev Diary #17 talks about the new Minor Civilizations feature in Evolving Empires.  Sounds pretty neat. 

https://www.interstellarspacegame.com/isg-dev-diary-17-evolving-empires-minor-civilizations/

Dev Diary #18 looks at the Evolution perks for the two Natural Law empires.  (Hope you like space monsters! :D

https://www.interstellarspacegame.com/isg-dev-diary-18-evolving-empires-natural-law-evolutions/

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #101 on: May 25, 2022, 02:23:36 PM
Evolving Empires has been released into the wild!  Now I just gotta find time to play it alongside Old World and Stellaris (first world problems)...  :P 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1974170/Interstellar_Space_Genesis__Evolving_Empires/

The accompanying free 1.4 update has also dropped as well.  It includes improvements to Leaders, AI, gameplay, UI, and a ton of bug-fixes. 

https://interstellarspacegame.com/forums/index.php?threads/1-4-free-update-patch-notes.1788/

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #102 on: May 25, 2022, 03:04:47 PM
And just went on sale.  $9.89 for base game, $13.39 with the first expansion, Natural Law. 

And Evolving Empires is $14.99

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #103 on: May 25, 2022, 05:47:59 PM
And just went on sale.  $9.89 for base game, $13.39 with the first expansion, Natural Law. 

Nice catch; I didn't even notice the bundle package.  Definitely worth getting at that price! 

And Evolving Empires is $14.99

...Or for free, if you were an early/VIP backer of the original game.  (Not that that's why I backed them, but it's admittedly a nice perk.)  :biggrin: 

vyshka

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #104 on: May 28, 2022, 05:16:52 PM
I'm finally getting around to playing this. Is there a way to refit ships to newer designs?

Edit: It shows up on the colony screen once there is a star base.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 07:47:18 PM by vyshka »