Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: TROY: A Total War Saga  (Read 27586 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #90 on: December 14, 2021, 08:21:31 PM
The Ultimate Edition is already on sale for $62.97 ($104.95 is the normal price).  I'd be fairly surprised (sadly) if the price gets much better than that, although you could perhaps try Is There Any Deal

Hmm.  I do see you can get the Utlimate version on Fanatical for $52.47.  That is right about half-off. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #91 on: December 14, 2021, 09:25:02 PM
Slightly confused. Just fired up the game and both Rhesus and Memnon were available for me to select...but Steam says I do not own the new DLC...?

Always do what you feel is best.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #92 on: December 14, 2021, 09:29:30 PM
Never mind I see they are selectable and then I have to purchase. My bad.

This game is uber-slick, I must say. If they every did a Saga based on say, Bismarck...that would be off the hook.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #93 on: April 06, 2022, 05:45:20 PM
Necro-ing this as I am finally about to start a Troy campaign. What do recommend as far as factions and the whole history v. myth thang? For relevance I know nothing about the Trojan War - I bought a book to learn while playing.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #94 on: April 07, 2022, 12:07:06 AM
While I've only really played historical mode myself, by most accounts, the Trojans have an easier time of it overall, regardless of whether you're playing in historical or mythological mode.  (They're typically better at working together than the Greeks are.)  If you want more of a challenge, then the Greek factions are where you want to start. 

Of the Trojan factions, Hector is probably the easiest to play as, though I don't think any of them are particularly difficult.  The one exception is Paris; his campaign is widely regarded as a real PITA. 

If you choose to play as the Greeks, Agamemnon or Menelaus are probably your best bet.  The campaigns for Achilles and (especially) Odysseus are apparently pretty tough. 

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #95 on: April 07, 2022, 06:21:52 AM
For relevance I know nothing about the Trojan War - I bought a book to learn while playing.

if that's the case, then you should watch the movie Troy for the hot babes and the rare Sean-Bean-as-a-good-guy appearance, and not for the 'historical' storyline

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #96 on: April 07, 2022, 06:40:14 AM
And he doesn’t die 😳😳😳

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #97 on: April 07, 2022, 07:38:41 AM
Yep the movie Troy is on my list - I think there’s a Netflix series too - Troy, Fall of a City.

I’m looking at Agamemnon for my first playthrough and then maybe the Ethiopian dude once I have some idea what’s going on…even though I really don’t know how Ethiopia toes into all this.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #98 on: May 23, 2022, 04:44:45 PM
I lied I chose Ajax. I'm only a couple of turns in. And two episodes in to Troy: Fall of a City. Enjoying both.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #99 on: May 23, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
Troy is a great film.  I liked how the director tried to ground the story in reality and show how the exploits of the characters led to them becoming legendary, mythical heroes over time.

I'd also recommend reading A Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough.  Good piece of historical fiction that provided me with much better knowledge about the Trojan War.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #100 on: May 24, 2022, 02:25:45 AM
I lied I chose Ajax. I'm only a couple of turns in. And two episodes in to Troy: Fall of a City. Enjoying both.

I always forget about Ajax.  Glad you're having fun with him so far. 

Troy is a great film.  I liked how the director tried to ground the story in reality and show how the exploits of the characters led to them becoming legendary, mythical heroes over time.

Agreed.  I know Troy gets a fair amount of hate from some quarters, but I always really enjoyed it.  The cast they assembled for the film was incredible. 

I'd also recommend reading A Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough.  Good piece of historical fiction that provided me with much better knowledge about the Trojan War.

I keep meaning to check out more of her work.  I enjoyed The First Man in Rome; she does a good job of bringing both the characters and that world to life. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #101 on: May 24, 2022, 06:21:49 AM
Another movie that gets hate that I’ve never seen but have cued up to watch soon is Alexander.

mickysuchy6

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #102 on: November 11, 2022, 10:26:34 AM

It's a period i really like. If i can play Hector, then i will buy it.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #103 on: November 11, 2022, 10:28:58 AM
Another movie that gets hate that I’ve never seen but have cued up to watch soon is Alexander.

Bisexual blonde Colin Farrell was not the best iirc

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #104 on: November 11, 2022, 11:13:03 AM
^Hahaha better if he was redheaded?