Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 374349 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1485 on: January 27, 2022, 06:24:48 AM

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1487 on: February 01, 2022, 08:30:37 PM
https://maritime.org/sound/

Various odds and ends of nautical sound re ordings.
The first is very unusual the submarine Sealion sinks the Haruna.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1488 on: April 14, 2022, 11:04:13 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iPC5G2jPeu0

It looks like the Slave class cruiser, Moskva, has been hit by two Ukrainian Neptune missiles.
Considering the poor repair facilities and lack of funds, he will probably be scrapped.
The Black Sea fleet has really hard luck with the fleet flagship.  Moskva is a replacement for the previous flag, Kerch.
He was lost after a massive, multi-million dollar refurbishment that ended with a huge engine room fire that gutted the ship.  Something like the fire that ruined Bonhomme Richard last summer.  As you may recall, the theory is a disgruntled sailor set the fire.
Kerch was lost for a totally different reason.  A yard worker put his shorts on a steam pipe to dry.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1489 on: April 14, 2022, 11:21:41 AM
and b/c Turkey isn't allowing warships in/out of the Black Sea, the Russians can't replace it  :whistle:

C:-) C:-)  C:-) C:-)  C:-) C:-)
(note, further Ukraine-specific chatter should be shifted to the Ukraine Conflict channel we set up on Discord to minimize any contentiousness here.  If you need help getting access to that, pls PM me)
 C:-) C:-)  C:-) C:-)  C:-) C:-)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1490 on: May 09, 2022, 11:27:28 AM
https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/w/war-damage-reports/uss-enterprise-cv6-war-history-1941-1945.html

War history of the carrier Enterprise.
Very sobering read.  May explain why she never became a museum ship.

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #1491 on: July 12, 2022, 08:30:53 PM
United States Navy 2022

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1492 on: July 13, 2022, 03:15:06 PM
Ohio class SSGN and Ohio class SSBN?

I don't see Grasp.

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1493 on: August 18, 2022, 10:59:36 AM
https://www.usni.org/magazine/naval-history-magazine/2019/december/fighting-for-survival

Damage control on Yorktown.  Good description of the hits at Coral Sea.

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1494 on: October 13, 2022, 08:18:08 PM
dude pointing out all the people wishing the US Navy a happy birthday with non-US Navy ships in the graphics

it's a whole thread of this

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1580540195316695040

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1495 on: October 13, 2022, 10:26:57 PM
That reminds me of the time I was waiting to get new tires at Town Fair tire and noticed that the patriotic window display of US soldier and AFV silhouettes included a ZSU 23-4 Shilka.  ???

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1496 on: October 17, 2022, 04:17:11 PM
I saw several posts wishing the Navy a happy birthday with a picture of the USS Chesapeake:

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

GROGnadsUSA

Reply #1497 on: October 17, 2022, 08:13:48 PM
I saw several posts wishing the Navy a happy birthday with a picture of the USS Chesapeake:

Hoi y`all and had anybody "watched" them 'videos' about: "When 'French Hotels' WENT to Sea/Battle"?

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #1498 on: October 17, 2022, 08:17:18 PM
^ Holy Tumblehome Batman!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #1499 on: December 26, 2022, 02:26:31 PM
https://www.strategypage.com/bookreviews/2388

New book on the Dreadnaught development and use in WWI.