Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Civ-series games  (Read 36446 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2022, 06:56:00 PM
I'd've been happy to talk about 3 plenty with people :)

But by the time this community had largely coalesced (either here or... elsewhere) Civ4 was everyone's else game, and Civ5 was imminent, so we covered that one a lot more.

I liked 3 a lot (especially the graphics compared to 2) but that discussion would've been 15-18 years ago.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #46 on: March 28, 2022, 07:57:37 PM
^  Fair enough, yeah.  Civ4 was announced around the time I joined up at WG, so since that was the "new hotness", it was what got discussed the most (at least as far as 4x games go). 

Now that you mention it, I do remember the visuals in Civ3 being a major step up over those in the 2nd game (which themselves were only a fractional improvement over those in Civ I), and how a lot of folks kinda went "ga-ga" over them.  I suspect the graphics ended up being a fairly big selling point for Civ III; it was essentially the franchise's first "modern"-looking game. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #47 on: March 29, 2022, 04:16:02 AM
^  Fair enough, yeah.  Civ4 was announced around the time I joined up at WG, so since that was the "new hotness", it was what got discussed the most (at least as far as 4x games go). 

Now that you mention it, I do remember the visuals in Civ3 being a major step up over those in the 2nd game (which themselves were only a fractional improvement over those in Civ I), and how a lot of folks kinda went "ga-ga" over them.  I suspect the graphics ended up being a fairly big selling point for Civ III; it was essentially the franchise's first "modern"-looking game.
I think the graphics of CIV 3 are still good for 2D game. CIV IV's graphics are just terrible (as one of the first 3D games), and probably the reason it took me so long before actually playing it (played CIV 5 first).

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #48 on: March 29, 2022, 11:07:34 AM
I like Civ4-6 but at the end of the day the gameplay and graphics of Civ3 are still my favorite.  Civ3's hooks just won't release me.  Especially since all the mods for Civ3 that I like are not as fun on the newer Civs. 

So in summary of my opinion from a modding point of view Civ 3 is the best. 

Don't be afraid, don't be dismayed

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #49 on: March 29, 2022, 11:07:59 PM
Funny yours would be the reply before mine.  I was just coming to recount that we had played a Civ 3 PBEM.  I haven't played again since then I don't think.  What I remember most was the visual upgrade from 2.  Civ 3 was gorgeous for its time.  I didn't like the crushing, "Distance From Palace," modifier.  But, I wasn't as good a player then as I am now.  Could have very well been user error.

As most folks know, I was a big 4 proponent.  If I had half the time back I spent playing that, I'd be in my forties.  I will say, after all those hours, I learned to hate, "The Stack Of Doom."  I am not a very aggressive player, so, I was almost always unprepared for it.  As much as I hated them, I also used the, "One unit per hex," rule of 5 and 6 to avoid playing either of them.  Having generously been gifted a base copy of 6, I have to say, I am converted.  The cartoony graphics are still off putting, but, they do a great job in keeping your eye on the prize with the UI that I am willing to put up with that quibble.

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #50 on: March 30, 2022, 08:43:19 AM
^I remember that game of Civ3 we played MD.  Good times!

I will admit the base game of Civ3 is trash compared to Civ6 but when it comes to user created mods you can't beat Civ3 IMHO. 
Modders have found ways to reduce that crushing distance from palace penalty as well my pet peeve of pollution.   :)

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2022, 08:53:07 AM
there were a lot of good mods for Civ 5 also - especially folks that created custom civs that you could install to play some different leaders

But getting Civ 5 mods to work was always a pain the butt

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

W8taminute

• Jr Lancer
  • Put the glasses on
Reply #52 on: March 30, 2022, 03:32:02 PM
there were a lot of good mods for Civ 5 also - especially folks that created custom civs that you could install to play some different leaders

But getting Civ 5 mods to work was always a pain the butt

I agree.

The other thing I hate about Civ 5 and 6 is that it takes several decades to load the game up to the main screen and then another 3 years to get a save file to load.  I don't have time to wait for games to load and it's not because I have an ancient rig or anything.  I believe it's unoptimized programming which has always been par for the course with Firaxis. 

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #53 on: May 10, 2022, 05:27:14 PM
I was already on 18 diplomatic points when I built the Statue of Liberty, which game me another 4 and 22/20 total for the win

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #54 on: May 11, 2022, 04:29:06 AM
Nice.  :bigthumb:  Was this in singleplayer, or one of the MP games you're part of? 

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #55 on: May 11, 2022, 06:31:40 AM
Nice.  :bigthumb:  Was this in singleplayer, or one of the MP games you're part of?

single

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #56 on: August 10, 2022, 07:28:02 PM
Just won a Civ 6 single-player game on King setting as Simon Bolivar, with another diplomatic win.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #57 on: August 11, 2022, 01:08:39 AM
Congrats! 

I get the sense that diplo victories are perhaps the easiest way to win in Civ6.  Yes?  No? 

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #58 on: August 11, 2022, 07:52:04 AM
I get the sense that diplo victories are perhaps the easiest way to win in Civ6.  Yes?  No?

I think that's more about how I play rather than the game as a whole, since a bunch of these dudes will roll the game with their militaries

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #59 on: September 10, 2022, 10:52:42 PM
Civ 6, King setting, Frederick Barbarossa.  Diplo win, but I was leading everything but the religion category, and that's only b/c I was using my faith on rock bands and great people instead of apostles to convert cities.  I was also about to go on a binge of creating revolts in about 3 cities simultaneously, one each in Brazil, Rome, and Scotland, that all got a little too close to my cities, plus my rock bands.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~