Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warhammer 3!  (Read 40672 times)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #150 on: April 15, 2022, 10:12:21 AM
^I feel the bloat, for the entire series in the last 6-7 years, to be honest. I have not fired up WHIII yet.

Slightly off topic, I just fired up Three Kingdoms Total War for the first time and have about four hours in with it total, all this week. It is clearly very well put together and slick, but the similarity of every faction, and the sheer number of them, is mind-crushing.

Not sure how long I will last with Three Kingdoms :/

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #151 on: April 16, 2022, 04:24:35 AM
Haven’t looked at the numbers but I get the feeling this hasn’t been as spectacular as the first and second - whether that’s because like myself after patches there was nothing wrong that needed doing to 2 to warrant a new release yet or it’s just apathy for the licence

Speaking only for myself, it's definitely both of things, plus a ton of other factors.  (There's too many to list...) 

I loved one and two but can’t feel the same enthusiasm for 3 - whether that’s dlc bloat and I feel I haven’t finished 2 yet I dont know

For me, a big part of it is simply franchise fatigue:  In the last year or so, I very suddenly realized I was growing tired of Warhammer -- of it getting all the hype & attention the last 6-7 years, the DLC bloat (as you mentioned), the increased toxicity in the community it's caused, etc.  Combined with WH3's lackluster state at launch -- the poorly thought-out gameplay elements, the bugs, the unsatisfying options for singleplayer campaigns, etc. -- it really takes away the appetite for yet another Warhammer title. 

On the flip side, I really miss the straight historical TW games; the last one that truly qualified was Thrones of Britannia.  I dearly want to see CA get back to focusing on them -- of course, they always claim they never stopped doing so, but everyone knows better. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #152 on: April 16, 2022, 04:26:03 AM
Slightly off topic, I just fired up Three Kingdoms Total War for the first time and have about four hours in with it total, all this week. It is clearly very well put together and slick, but the similarity of every faction, and the sheer number of them, is mind-crushing.

Not sure how long I will last with Three Kingdoms :/

That is definitely a game I need to get back into and spend more time with.  It still calls to me even now... 

I get what you're saying about the factions, including the "mind-crushing" number to choose from (excellent turn of phrase, btw :notworthy: ).  However, I'll admit that personally, it just makes me giddy to want to try at least most of them at some point.  They all seem so damn fascinating! 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #153 on: April 16, 2022, 07:56:07 AM
I may have accidentally whizzed past it on YouTube but did I see an tw:empire 2 mod or something?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #154 on: April 16, 2022, 11:33:01 AM
Why yes...yes you did.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #155 on: April 16, 2022, 02:19:16 PM
Do you have hands on gus?

Any good?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #156 on: April 16, 2022, 10:12:29 PM
Have not tried it yet, sorry. There's also this mod for Medieval 2, which transforms the game entirely...Lucium Total War - people are raving about it:

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #157 on: April 29, 2022, 05:41:34 PM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #158 on: April 30, 2022, 05:07:47 AM
Wow, it only took CA a month to come out with it from the time they first said it was coming.  I'm amazed it didn't take longer.  ::) 

My sarcasm aside, it does look like a fairly decent list of changes & improvements for the next two updates, and 1.2 especially.  The AI anti-player bias, auto-resolve issues, and oddly slow unit responsiveness have all been particularly common (and sometimes vitriolic) complaints.  I wasn't aware of overly-bright snow being an issue, but I have no trouble believing it, given how garish the Warhammer maps are in general. 

I'm sure there will be much wailing and lamentation that Immortal Empires isn't coming until version 2.0 -- and only a beta release, at that -- and strictly speaking, I wouldn't blame anyone for reacting that way.  At the same time, it's pretty obvious that realistically, there's simply no way CA could bring IE to the community any sooner than that; and I suspect that by now, most players realize it as well (given all the issues the game has had since launch).  I think it's painfully clear to everyone at this point that by all rights, WH3 probably should've been delayed by another 6 months or so (though admittedly that probably wasn't realistic from Sega's perspective). 

Also, this bit definitely caught my attention: 

Following Update 1.2, we have one last regular update before moving on to our next major game release.
Given CA intends v1.3 to still release during Q3, I can only presume this "next major game release" will be coming out in Q4.  Given that, I have to believe they'll be announcing this new game soon, as even for Saga titles (which is what I'm guessing the next game is) CA likes to allow for around six months of lead-up time for building hype.  It'll be interesting to see what they announce. 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #159 on: April 30, 2022, 06:31:30 AM
I didn’t realise the whole map wasn’t available yet!!

But I like the sound of reworking the original races to bring them in-line with the new

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #160 on: May 01, 2022, 03:20:03 AM
I didn’t realise the whole map wasn’t available yet!!

Even Mortal Empires didn't release until a month or two after Warhammer II came out.  Given the myriad of problems WH3 has faced, Immortal Empires being delayed was even more inevitable (though perhaps with less excuse). 

But I like the sound of reworking the original races to bring them in-line with the new

As do I.  Although again, I think it pretty much had to happen.  If races like Chaos, Vampire Counts, etc. don't get a rework at some point, there will likely be rioting in Horsham.  :P 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #161 on: May 18, 2022, 04:23:22 AM

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #162 on: May 18, 2022, 07:38:59 AM
^Yeah it took an hour for my pc to download it last night :/

I may actually purchase (and play!) Songs of Conquest before this as people are raving about that game while with WHIII…not so much.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #163 on: May 18, 2022, 11:30:19 PM
To be fair, I don't think it's all doom & gloom.  Now that the DLC team is on the case, I suspect the game's quality will improve rather markedly.  It's just that they're starting from much further behind than usual. 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #164 on: June 02, 2022, 05:16:38 AM
I suppose CA had to release this trailer because of Games Workshop's "Warhammer Skulls - Festival of Video Games" event, but the timing still feels hilariously premature: