Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A miniature journey through Middle Earth  (Read 29709 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #195 on: February 16, 2022, 01:26:56 PM
ok...... a covid hiatus, some absences and busy work load but here we go -

Some context is required here - as part of building the irons hills dwarf army i have chosen Thorin and Dwalin on goats as part of that force. These models dont actually exist so some crafting is required - there is Dwalin and Thorin on foot, so we need 1 each of those and then another pair to chop in half and add to the vanilla goat rider model. As the full armoured Champions of Erebor only come in a boxed set at £80 and i need two, i got in contact with a Russian friend for two and found 2 on ebay. The first 2 have gone to Timmy with the goat rider models for him to unleash his crafting skills on and ill keep the 2 dismounted ones to paint

So, i now find myself in possession of an army by accident - the Champions of Erebor - 13 dwarves from the Hobbit film, not Thorins company which is the dwarves questing to erebor with gandalf and bilbo, but the 13 mad bastards that charge out to meet Azog - these 13 guys are a 1000 point army in the game, mainly because they are all heroes in their own right, all with might, multiple wounds and various other skills and tweaks - might as well give them ago

In a small 550 point battle with Timmy against Thranduil and his merry men they kicked ass - totally destroyed the stinky elves and routed the man on a moose - so surprising and swift was the defeat i didnt take any pictures - needless to say Timmy was shook!

So we went themey - here was a chance to create some what ifs from the film seen as both our armies are from the same era - so we decided in the first battle that the dwarves won, they found the arkenstone and escaped with it - the next battle would be the same six guys trying to escape through Mirkwood and away with the stone - basically get off Timmys side of the board

left to right is Dwalin, Dori, Thorin, Killi, Filli and Gloin - these are the warriors of the Erebor force, 3 attacks, 3 might, lots of power, the other 7 buff characters, have special skills and abilities but arent as fighty as these guys - in the distance the end zone

theyre trying to outrun about 26 mirkwood elves and rangers - all armed with bows - the bows are strength 3 im defence 8, if he hits me timmy needs a 6 and then a 4 to wound me - can i beat the maths and get off the battlefield?

Hollywood shot

I use the ruins as cover from the elves to my right, Thorin has moved back after taking two wounds out of 3 due to Timmys unerring ability to roll 6s

The elves to the right begin to move in to join the inevitable moving darts match that will be 'shoot the dwarves' before i can get to the end of the board - if i can get into combat and just mow them down it would remove Timmys ability to shoot but with a 5' move to replicate their little legs, Timmy just keeps stepping back and firing

The heroes break out of the ruins and charge for the corner of the board

The elves, realising its going to be a dash for the corner mobilise, they will attempt to flank the dwarves as they come up against Legolas and his rangers - note the flute playing ass hat nearest the well.......

.......hes a sentinel and plays magic crap at the dwarves!!! if the target fails a courage test Timmy moves them instead of me - he enchants Gloin who throws a double 1 and gets moved back 5 inch

We finally meet in the corner but after been the target of over 150 arrows all the might and wounds have been expended and 5 dwarves are lost - Dwalin and his 4 attacks with double axes, actually gets to one inch of the line with the stone in his arms but falls at the end

Great game - the next one will be an actual Iron Hills force led by Dain sent to Mirkwood to try and rescue their captured cousins in the dungeons of Thranduil

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #196 on: February 16, 2022, 01:33:55 PM
We wants to play it, precious. Yessssss, we doessss.........................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'