Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 57649 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #240 on: April 27, 2022, 01:41:55 PM
Going back a good few years, I painted up a fair number of 15mm ACW figures, as we were playing a lot using the 'Johnny Reb' rules (among others). I have a full Union Division with an artillery battery, a supply column, a cav regiment and a small unit of riflemen in green. On top of that I did a Confederate Brigade to beef up one of my buddies armies.

I used a mix of figures from a variety of manufacturers, although I think that a large number of them were from 'Old Glory' who are a local company to me.

There was always a bit of variation of scale from the different manufacturers, but when they were mixed up it actually added to the effects as it meant that not all the figures were the same height.

However, I sold the lot years ago to help finance a new PC :-)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 02:01:49 PM by bob48 »

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #241 on: April 27, 2022, 01:58:02 PM
Cough - package to bison - cough

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #242 on: April 27, 2022, 08:21:16 PM
I would love to see some photos of your handy work, Bob!

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #243 on: April 28, 2022, 07:28:34 PM
Those look great Bison! Can't wait to see them based and in action on the table!

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #244 on: April 29, 2022, 07:13:36 AM
I would love to see some photos of your handy work, Bob!

I think the only stuff I sill have is a Dwarf Bloodbowl team and maybe a few WH40K Imperial Guard. They are in a box in a cupboard somewhere, so I'll see if I can find 'em.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #245 on: May 05, 2022, 10:40:45 AM
I have had to box up a good deal of my plastic, paints, and other crafting supplies. However, I do have some citadel paints and a 40K starter box of built minis for on-the-go crafting. I just painted up the first squad of space marines in the Ultramarine style. So much blue! I need to prime up a couple of outriders (space marines on motorcycles) and some Necrons before I pack up the airbrush.

Side note: My boys and I have been playing out 40K battles using unpainted minis. The experience made me realize that basic paint jobs are sufficient for the table. I often forget this as I tend to get overly obsessive about painting details which slows down the process and use up my limited painting table time. Playing the game with non-grey models is the desired outcome of painting the miniatures and I am pretty dang sure after the first look very few people care about the details.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #246 on: May 06, 2022, 03:24:05 AM
I am pretty dang sure after the first look very few people care about the details.

i am fairly certain you are correct as well.  Glad you guys have been having fun with 40k.  :bigthumb: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #247 on: May 06, 2022, 09:14:09 PM
Well, we play with miniatures that come from the 40K and refer to them as Space Marines and Necrons all true. However, our games are essentially the tabletop wargame version of Calvinball. For example tonight one of the terrain pieces (made using magnatiles) became a bus at some point during the game. You could drive it 6 inches a turn but the driver could not shoot only the models on top of the bus could shoot. Then a forest suddenly grew in the middle of the table. The trees were stacks of dice. Anyway, it is good fun and they can read the data cards now to find stats.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #248 on: May 07, 2022, 06:16:13 PM
However, our games are essentially the tabletop wargame version of Calvinball.

This is priceless.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #249 on: May 07, 2022, 07:10:31 PM
However, our games are essentially the tabletop wargame version of Calvinball.

This is priceless.

Absolutely. Below is the data card one of them did for the "bus" so we are sure to know what it does next time.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #250 on: May 07, 2022, 08:07:19 PM
Love stuff like this - you’re blessed

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #251 on: May 08, 2022, 01:32:20 PM
Ha ha ha! Nicely done!!

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #252 on: May 10, 2022, 05:50:30 PM
I had to put the ACW project on hold for a little while as we get ready to move. So I have been spending some time putting paint on some Warhammer 40K miniatures. I am pretty happy with the outcome. I am still learning how to do the panel and edge highlighting style that Games Workshop advocates

The Space Marines are done in the typical Ultramarine style. The Necrons are painted in whatever faction it is that is depicted on the latest box sets for 9e WH 40K. The new citadel paint colors released for the Necron are pretty awesome. I actually air-brushed a dirty gold color on the minis over a black primer before using runelord brass and leadblecher to base color the metal. Tesseract Glow techincal paint is a very bright green to do the glow effects. Anyway, I have a few more marines and Necron warriors to paint before I tackle the outriders and leader models which are much more detailed. I even painted eyes on the Ultramarine Sergeant. I have gone and lost my mind! Still finishing the basing but it'll get done...eventually.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #253 on: May 10, 2022, 05:54:37 PM
Looks great - the finish on the Necrons is awesome!

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #254 on: May 10, 2022, 07:50:32 PM
Citadel made a new shade called Cryptek Armourshade Gloss as I understand it specifically for the Indominous Necron release. It is a very dark brass color. I initially underestimated just how strongly pigmented this paint is out of the pot. I had to thin it out quite a bit to not completely overpower the metallic colors on the miniature. It provides a great grimy dark brass color shading.