Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Bison's Tales of Hobby Crafting  (Read 58350 times)

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #45 on: September 25, 2021, 07:45:00 PM
Real life has disrupted progress this week. I have plans. Many plans.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #46 on: September 25, 2021, 07:49:21 PM
I present to you the Norden. It's a table I found during a recent visit to Ikea. The wife wanted to look at something...I forget...and I always look for items to repurpose for gaming. It expands to a maximum of 60" and is 35" with one leaf out. It has 6 drawers for storage. Lots of space for crafting materials to be stored. It is my ideal crafting table.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:18:38 PM by Bison »

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #47 on: September 25, 2021, 07:57:01 PM
Being the man of action that I am, I immediately set out to draft a plan to convert this sweet table into an even sweeter crafting table. I present to you the table's configuration for a painting space. On the left is the airbrush booth and on the right is the painting area complete with two clamp-on lamps. I refer to this setup as simply "The Dream". I also shared my plans with the wife. Surprisingly, she supports my dream. Well with the exception of the window and trees. Mostly due to the fact my explanation required that we repurpose the Master Bedroom as my crafting and game room.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:59:20 PM by Bison »

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #48 on: September 25, 2021, 08:27:58 PM
Spectacular diagram!

My desk is a norden but just the single standing 70x70 4 legged - just the right height

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #49 on: September 25, 2021, 08:55:03 PM
I for one fully support "The Dream" as pictured!

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #50 on: September 25, 2021, 09:13:00 PM
How could anyone not support your dream with a plan like that?

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #51 on: September 26, 2021, 02:05:36 AM
It is hard for my combined logic and compelling art skills to be resisted. I'm pretty sure the realism of the diagram really laid out not only the table's functional beauty but its practicality and necessity. Also my table in the closet is considerably larger and forces me to encroach on her side.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #52 on: September 27, 2021, 06:42:54 PM
5 more orcs completed and 5 prepped to be painted. I think there are 12 remaining to paint and I can move onto the either the Army of the Dead or Rohan. Last night I realized I primed the ghosts light grey except the shields. I primed the shield sprue black with all the other shields. This well require me to repaint them either light gray or white. /sigh/

Advocator (Scott)

• Trooper
Reply #53 on: September 27, 2021, 09:41:13 PM
I experienced a Nuln Oil mishap last night. I accidently knocked the bottle over and dumped over 1/2 of it onto the table. Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened over the years. Fortunately it did not get on any models or the floor.

I've done that, but it landed in my lap and on the carpet. And that's when I learned that, at least if dealt with quickly, it thankfully cleans up. I now keep carpet cleaner handy when painting.

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #54 on: September 27, 2021, 11:04:58 PM
I experienced a Nuln Oil mishap last night. I accidently knocked the bottle over and dumped over 1/2 of it onto the table. Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened over the years. Fortunately it did not get on any models or the floor.

I've done that, but it landed in my lap and on the carpet. And that's when I learned that, at least if dealt with quickly, it thankfully cleans up. I now keep carpet cleaner handy when painting.
c

Sadly, I learn lessons the hard way. I did it again this evening. Now I am down to 1/4 bottle. The wife made me put a mat under the table because I apparently have a problem with spilling paints. :-[

On a positive note, the FLGS owner will happily take my money for another bottle.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #55 on: September 28, 2021, 01:33:56 AM
Before spending cash on the official GW paint holder just blu tack the bottle to the desk

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #56 on: September 28, 2021, 10:32:10 AM
Yeah I should secure the paint pot but I was only opening it for a second...

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #57 on: September 28, 2021, 03:18:27 PM
Yeah I should secure the paint pot but I was only opening it for a second...

As a long-time fountain pen user, and occasionally splotchy person, I salute your daring!

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #58 on: September 28, 2021, 03:42:15 PM
Yeah that’s some high risk thinking right there

Fraught with danger

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #59 on: September 28, 2021, 08:25:39 PM
One of my boys decided he wanted to paint today. He split an entire bottle of Lahmian Medium which sat drying on the newspaper covering the table for a couple of hours. Lahmain Medium has amazing adhesive properties. It took an hour of soaking with water and scrubbing with a sponge to liberate the table of newspaper basically glued to its surface.

The FLGS owner will be even happier now when we next visit his shop.