Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Looking for an online wargame design course  (Read 6516 times)

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
on: October 21, 2021, 08:31:31 AM
First, I'm not sure if this should be in the "Professional Wargaming" section, as I am not looking for a course on professional wargaming.

What I want:
An online course (audio/podcast, YouTube, etc.) on wargaming design theory and concepts--something that Philip Sabin or someone else who teaches wargame design courses in a university setting might have.

I don't want a podcast discussion (and I know there are plenty on the ACD podcast) about wargame design or professional wargaming, but instead a more structured lecture series. I want to be taught.

Why? Purely for additional perspective as a player and to help fill some time during my "drive time."

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 08:45:10 AM
First, I'm not sure if this should be in the "Professional Wargaming" section, as I am not looking for a course on professional wargaming.

this might be as good of a place as any, but truthfully, I don't know of anything like that out there

(hmmmmm....  have we just identified a market niche?!?)

There are some of the GUWS lectures that might be worth checking out, but they're video and I would NOT recommend those while driving  :silly:

Specifically, Jim Dietz on dealing with publication and Volko's lectures are all pretty good.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 01:20:02 PM

this might be as good of a place as any, but truthfully, I don't know of anything like that out there

(hmmmmm....  have we just identified a market niche?!?)

There are some of the GUWS lectures that might be worth checking out, but they're video and I would NOT recommend those while driving  :silly:

Specifically, Jim Dietz on dealing with publication and Volko's lectures are all pretty good.

Thanks. I have listened to/watched some GUWS stuff, and I will browse again to see if there's anything close to what I am looking for.

Of course, if it's on YouTube, I can sideload it into my podcast app (Castro) to listen to it while driving.

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 02:27:08 PM
The majority of their lectures are focused on the defense & national security realms. There's a healthy dose of academic focused presentations as well.

That said though, there are a handful that are more commercially focused or involved commercial wargame designers who have overlapped in the sharing their thoughts.

Brian Train's lecture is a good one, as is Mike Markowitz's

You might prefer to watch both of those on YouTube though so you get the visuals
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:00:47 PM by bayonetbrant »

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 06:44:54 PM
One suggestion is Pete Pellegrino's Table Top History YouTube channel. He has a playlist of lectures from last year, most of which are definitely aimed at professional wargame design (although many have what might be useful tips). However, Lecture 6 on Modeling and games, covers some interesting ground in the same way that some other hobby game designers have.

George Phillies has video lectures on Classes in Game Design, Classes on Eurogame Design, and Designing Board Wargames, as well as having written some books with Tom Vassel (and some without Tom Vassel) on game design.

https://www.youtube.com/user/georgephillies/playlists

(I have not watched more than a few of his videos, so I don't know how bad they are.)

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 10:26:06 AM
Phillies' lectures are okay, though rather old school basic stuff about hex and counter.

I can't remember where I downloaded the slides, but Sebastian Bae's course on wargame design is somthing you want to check out.

Besides that there are some very active game design discord servers where you could ask for info or discuss design ideas or playtest.

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

Badgers

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 04:06:45 AM
It might be too late but MORS runs a course you might be interested in:
https://www.mors.org/Events/Courses/Designing-Tactical-Games

LetsPlayHistory

• Trooper
  • Let's get serious about games!
    • Let's Play History
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 05:58:02 AM
If you bring the money.  :o

Meet me on LinkedIn, BlueSky, BoardGameGeek, YouTube and Twitch!

Et vive citoyen général Bonaparte!

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 09:15:18 AM
It might be too late but MORS runs a course you might be interested in:
https://www.mors.org/Events/Courses/Designing-Tactical-Games

Interesting. Thanks!