Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A-10A Finished at last  (Read 3037 times)

judgedredd

on: March 06, 2022, 03:36:26 PM
I was super excited to get this.

A 1/48 Hog would be great to build. Plus it came with a shite load of weapons. And there was the problem. The weapons. The thing that excited me about the model ended up killing the fun.

I had actually already built and painted the model a long time ago. All the weapons were built and waiting to be painted...and I just lost interest. So much of them needed hand brushing...something I'm not great at. Also there was the old "do I put the weapons on the pylons before I put the pylons on the plane or after" and then the decals...man...modern fighters love decals. There were lots.

So - it's been sitting "being made" for a year - probably more!

It's been one of those - you know - models that just sit and remind you that you haven't completed it and staring incessantly at you to remind you that you simply cannot touch another model until you've completed it because then you've opened that door and it just becomes easier to chuck other models that - for whatever reason - become your nemesis.

Anyway I talked to my kids the other day and mentioned it and asked should I start a new model or get back on it...assuring them that if I did get another model out on the table, it might actually help me get my modelling mojo back...they said of course I should - why waste time doing something you don't enjoy.

I was all ready to get my 1/35 Merkava out of the loft when I just thought I couldn't - I knew without a shadow of a doubt that it would leave me open in the future to just junking models I didn't want to complete.

So - at last, I finished it. Turns out, the whole year of it sitting there waiting on my attention only took 2 days to complete. It's not my best work...not by far. I did stop putting the decals on the base because I could not be bothered. Colours aren't quite right, weapons could've done with a bit more attention...but I don't care...it's completed, I didn't junk it and more importantly, I can move onto another model knowing I still haven't junked one. This is the second time I've been in a funk with a model...and they've both been modern fighters so maybe that's something I need to avoid in the future - after I've done my Phantom II, both my F-14s, my A6 Intruder, my Tornado, my Handley Page Victor and my Super Hornet!

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 03:56:08 PM
Looks great!

judgedredd

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 04:00:31 PM
Thanks. I have literally done the minimum to get it finished. Onto something easier and quicker.

Doctor Quest

• Corporal
  • I'm not a real doctor.
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 06:49:39 PM
I am a huge hog fan. One of my favorite planes to fly in various sims.

Looks fantastic!

I do think you forgot the kitchen sink, though.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Something so addictive about the whole kill and loot dynamic, though." - Gusington

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 09:49:00 PM
The A-10 looks amazing! Just looking at it bring to mind the sound of the 30mm cannon.  :notworthy:

judgedredd

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 03:48:19 AM
Thanks.

Is it just me, or is that Warthog carrying way too many weapons?

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 04:17:42 AM
Looks great

I hope they’re  all hanging from the ceiling with bits of fishing line!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 10:02:21 AM by Undercovergeek »

Staggerwing

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 06:33:51 AM
Great job JD!

There's a retired A10 at the New England Air Museum. Standing in front of it with that cannon muzzle a few feet from one's head makes just as much of an impression as can be imagined!

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

judgedredd

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 03:33:05 PM
Honestly I was just going on DCS. It's a simulation after all and it doesn't allow that amount of weaponry.

If I'd done some research, I could've left a chunk of those off

Boggit

• Fresh Recruit
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 02:58:19 AM
Looks nice!