Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries  (Read 3684 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: March 22, 2022, 07:26:11 PM
Am curious if any of you guys have played this one, and if so, what your thoughts on it are.  Fanatical currently has it on sale for $16.79 USD, and I'll admit I'm tempted. 

I always like mech games (even though I suck at them), and especially appreciate games that are specifically from the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe.  On the other hand, developer Piranha Games is also responsible for MechWarrior Online, which I know was less than well received. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
  • Running an online thing is like herding cats
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 05:15:59 PM
At that price its a fun game if you like big stomping mechs shooting up stuff.

De base game has a campaign that gets repetitive quickly, but mods will make the game much better overall.
The career mode that came with the expansion is quite fun and reminiscent of mw4 ‘s mercenary expansion.

Enemy spawn locations and AI capability remains troublesome however.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 07:37:09 PM
Hey, Yskonyn!  Good to see you again. 

Appreciate your thoughts.  Sounds like a game I could enjoy, but probably only with the expansion, and I probably should indeed wait for a sale again.  I'll keep an eye out.  :) 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 10:38:41 PM
I played it for a couple of hours without the expansion as soon as it became available on Steam and enjoyed it but didn't too deep with it. I picked up the expansion when it came out and it is on my to-play list, soonish.

Always do what you feel is best.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 03:57:21 AM
The additions to the game from the expansion ate nice. Especially Career (sandbox) mode is nice for replayability.

The thing I don’t like is enemy assets still spawning in weird locations and many fights boiling down to 1 v 1 circle runs.
And ally AI jumping to their death in light mechs.

Mods can remedy this with varying levels of success.

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:22:28 AM
Yeah I have read that the career mode really injects new life into this, also heard about the odd AI.

Always do what you feel is best.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2022, 01:14:15 PM
At that price its a fun game if you like big stomping mechs shooting up stuff.

100% agreed. This game is a poster child for "wait for a sale". It has many flaws, but it can also be a lot of fun. It was never my "main game" but I enjoyed it in short spurts.

It's probably a whole other level in multiplayer but I haven't tried that.

Yskonyn

• Jr Lancer
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 02:40:30 AM
Oh yes, in co-op the game is super fun if you have a few people who communicate and run tactics together.