Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: X4 - anyone out there  (Read 7335 times)

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
on: April 25, 2022, 11:47:30 AM
Throughout all my gaming highs and experiences - I think I get the biggest kick out of ‘build this and X will happen’ and then seeing all the little people carry out that task - the latest moment being DW2 which I’m very much enjoying - build a mining station and see private industry upgrade and build its own little freighters and set off to mine and collect the stuff - makes me smile every time

Am I right in thinking X4 is all of this writ large? Set up industrial empires and the like

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 01:46:46 PM
I'm jealous. I never really had the staying power with any 4X games. Like most games, I like the premis, but I seldom stay attentive for long

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 02:33:13 PM
I really enjoy games like Warlock 2, especially if they have melon farms................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 02:35:20 PM
Are you referring to the space sim X4: Foundations? If so, then yeah you kind of get this. It's a space sim first and foremost, but it has an empire and fleet manager wrapped around it. So yes, you build stations and buy ships to work for those stations, which you will be able to watch as they go about their business. Not to mention everyone else's fleets.

It's a superb sandbox. The whole series is excellent really buy X4 is definitely the best yet. To put things in perspective, imagine DW2 but you're permanently in one of the ships of your fleet (this can be any ship you own or even spacewalking). So you still manage an empire but you do it from first person, although you will spend a lot of time looking at the map - it gives a bird's eye view plus that's where all the management menus are.

I strongly recommend it, just remember there's the space sim element to it too, there's no getting away from that.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 02:36:07 PM
No melon farms in space, Huw  :(

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 02:36:25 PM
I really enjoy games like Warlock 2, especially if they have melon farms................

cough pumpkins cough.....

Metaldog

• Sergeant
  • Central Scrutinizer
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 02:42:21 PM

cough pumpkins cough.....

My thought, too ;)

Lots of maps is a good thing - Panzerde

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 02:43:00 PM
Oh yes, Pumpkins - I musta bin thinking about something else......

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 03:27:25 PM
Are you referring to the space sim X4: Foundations? If so, then yeah you kind of get this. It's a space sim first and foremost, but it has an empire and fleet manager wrapped around it. So yes, you build stations and buy ships to work for those stations, which you will be able to watch as they go about their business. Not to mention everyone else's fleets.

It's a superb sandbox. The whole series is excellent really buy X4 is definitely the best yet. To put things in perspective, imagine DW2 but you're permanently in one of the ships of your fleet (this can be any ship you own or even spacewalking). So you still manage an empire but you do it from first person, although you will spend a lot of time looking at the map - it gives a bird's eye view plus that's where all the management menus are.

I strongly recommend it, just remember there's the space sim element to it too, there's no getting away from that.

i was indeed referring to X4 foundations and the coupla DLC - so i need a joystick and stuff then?

Forgot your tablets again Bob?

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 03:39:07 PM
..melons..........

judgedredd

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 03:40:51 PM
See I reversed your X and your 4 and talked about a totally different genre  ;D

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 04:21:14 PM
..my brain hurts.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 04:47:49 PM
i was indeed referring to X4 foundations and the coupla DLC - so i need a joystick and stuff then?

Nah, it's easily playable with mouse and keyboard in my experience. I've played all the X games that way.  :bigthumb:

judgedredd

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 04:51:11 PM

Nah, it's easily playable with mouse and keyboard in my experience. I've played all the X games that way.  :bigthumb:
Same. In fact I found it a real problem moving to joystick for these games. Mouse and keyboard are easily the best option imo. Particularly because there's lost of menu operating.

Huw the Poo

• Jr Lancer
  • Hullo!
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 04:52:24 PM
Yeah agreed, there'd be endless amounts of swapping controls if you used anything other than m+k.