Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: A Grognard Perspective of the Ukraine Air War  (Read 2151 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:16 PM

Examining which wargames best replicate / explain what we're seeing over Ukraine

https://www.armchairdragoons.com/articles/analysis/a-grognard-perspective-of-the-ukraine-air-war/

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

mcguire

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
  • Shoes for industry!
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 04:29:25 PM
...(though “strategic” SAMs like the Russian S-400 or U.S. THAAD can get a counter)...

Everytime I hear about THAAD (which I used to quite a lot when I was working on the arsenal), I have to say, "It'th tho thaad."

Thank you for your attention.  :idiot2:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:34:14 PM by mcguire »

"Man...knowing how to use the cards properly certainly changes how I play the game" -- judgedredd

TTC

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr Lancer
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 05:06:24 PM
The Warsaw Pact armed forces relied heavily on organic anti-air systems (ZSUs, MANPADS, IR SAMs, etc.) in the 1970s and 1980s. They were cheaper and easier to deploy than sophisticated interceptors and fighters and a perfect counter to NATO reliance on attack helicopters. At the tactical level, they don't rely in an integrated air defense system and are responsible only for local defense.

While I disfavor many people drawing a lot of inferences from the old Soviet armies, I wonder if this is one legacy of WP doctrine.

(BTW--great article.)