Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: This Day in History  (Read 199727 times)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #195 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:20 AM
It really is still a very intriguing mystery though, innit?

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #196 on: November 08, 2019, 08:07:06 AM
Bonnie Prince Charlie lands in Scotland..
The "The Forty-Five" (1745-1746): The Young Pretender put an expedition together without the help of Louis XV, and successfully landed in Scotland.  Many clans turned out to support him, and he quickly secured much of Scotland, though strong British garrisons remained in some places.  An English force was beaten at Prestonpans (Sept. 21, 1745), and the Jacobites advanced into England, reaching as far south as Derby, some 125 miles from London.  But desertions were rife.  Jacobite leaders lost heart and opted to retreat back to Scotland.  There they were decisively defeated at Culloden (April 16, 1746).  As English forces overrun Scotland with great brutality, the Young Pretender fled once again to France.

An interesting appendix to the Forty-Five comes from that hard, old man, Admiral John Jervis, Lord Nelson's mentor.  A great hater, he loathed all things, and all people, Schottishe.
During the Napoleonic War, as First Sea Lord he had to answer in Parliament for naval affairs.  Asked about a French invasion of England, he gave one of the great quotes:r "I do not say the French will not come.  I merely say they will not come by sea."

What most folks don't understand is that he meant the French would invade out of Scotland.

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #197 on: November 09, 2019, 08:26:28 AM
USS Olympia arrives at the Washington Navy Yard with the Unknonw Soldier, 1921.

https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2018/11/08/the-ship-that-carried-him-the-naval-odyssey-of-the-unknown-soldier/

"These things must be done delicately-- or you hurt the spell."  - The Wicked Witch of the West.
"We've got the torpedo damage temporarily shored up, the fires out and soon will have the ship back on an even keel. But I would suggest, sir, that if you have to take any more torpedoes, you take 'em on the starboard side."   Pops Healy, DCA USS Lexington.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #198 on: November 09, 2019, 01:46:54 PM
Damn, this shit always gets me.  Thanks for sharing, besilarius

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #199 on: November 10, 2019, 12:46:32 PM
A collision at sea can ruin your whole day - Thucydides.

On 10 November 1966, the USS Nautilus (SSN-571) collided with the USS Essex (CVS-9) while running submerged about 350 miles east of Morehead City, North Carolina, during underway replenishment exercises. Both ships returned to port unassisted. The submarine received extensive damage to its sail area and went to New London, The carrier sustained an open hull cut in the bow area and proceeded to Norfolk, Virginia.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08571.htm

The Nautilus was a real game changer for ASW.  Old sailors told stories of how it could run away from destroyers.  At the time of her introduction, sonar couldn't operate at more than about sixteen knots.  So she could just crank it up and even though this made her very noisy, the destroyers couldn't follow and hear.Think I've mentioned there was an old, salty Quartermaster E8 at Surface Warfare school in Newport.  He told the story that her sound signature was very distinctive.  After she was tracked once, you could always ID her.  The navy tried for years to discover this anomoly.  It finally was fixed when the coffee urn in the Goat Locker was replaced.  The grounding arrangement was not done correctly and caused a harmonic vibration that sonar picked up.

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #200 on: November 12, 2019, 08:28:11 AM
First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

San Francisco dukes it out with BB Hiei.   "a barroom brawl after the lights had been shot out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Battle_of_Guadalcanal

A great illustration of unprepared leadership and lack of training.  Admiral Callaghan was the senior officer, but had not been engaged with the enemy before.  He distrusted radar and tried to fight the night battle by visual. 
During the night battle three members of San Francisco's crew won Medal of Honors.  Lcr Schonman, the Damage Control Assistant, who saved the ship from sinking, Lcdr McCandless who took over after all the bridge crew was killed, and  24 year old Boatswain Mate Reinhardt Keppler.

For extraordinary heroism and distinguished courage above and beyond the call of duty while serving aboard the U.S.S. San Francisco during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands, 12–November 13, 1942. When a hostile torpedo plane, during a daylight air raid, crashed on the after machine-gun platform, KEPPLER promptly assisted in the removal of the dead and, by his capable supervision of the wounded, undoubtedly helped save the lives of several shipmates who otherwise might have perished. That night, when the hangar was set afire during the great battle off Savo Island, he bravely led a hose into the starboard side of the stricken area and there, without assistance and despite frequent hits from terrific enemy bombardment, eventually brought the fire under control. Later, although mortally wounded, he labored valiantly in the midst of bursting shells, persistently directing fire-fighting operations and administrating to wounded personnel until he finally collapsed from loss of blood, aged 24. His great personal valor, maintained with utter disregard of personal safety, was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #201 on: November 13, 2019, 07:17:26 AM

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #202 on: November 13, 2019, 07:22:39 AM
I remember reading about that.

...Oops!

besilarius

• Corporal
Reply #203 on: November 13, 2019, 08:03:07 AM
Whenever the William D Porter (not so affectionately called "the dirty bill") pulled into a new port, the ships would signal, "Do not Shoot!  We are all Republicans."

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #204 on: November 13, 2019, 08:38:30 AM
ROFL  ;D

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #205 on: November 13, 2019, 12:10:37 PM

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #206 on: November 13, 2019, 01:32:07 PM
https://twitter.com/URDailyHistory/status/1194587966649225216

Huh.  There's a bit of history trivia I'd never even heard of til now.  Interesting! 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #207 on: November 13, 2019, 01:38:34 PM
Apparently that incident was just one of several that befell that ship.

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #208 on: November 14, 2019, 09:32:35 AM

Sir Slash

• Lance Sergeant
  • Head of the Honorable Order of Knights Hotwings
Reply #209 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:57 AM
The Bus Boy maybe?  ???

Any Day is a Good Day That Doesn't Involve Too Much Work or Too Little Gaming