Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Wheel of Fate digital RPG  (Read 3573 times)

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
on: August 29, 2019, 09:31:17 AM
https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/28/wheel-of-fate-is-a-role-playing-game-in-which-ai-learns-from-your-choices/

Game developers use artificial intelligence in a number of ways: to generate grass and flowers, test bugs, and better enable teams to work on games from multiple locations worldwide. UDX Interactive is using AI for a system to give its role-playing game a system that provides for thousands of choices with Wheel of Fate, a role-playing game.

At the helm is Miles Holmes, a veteran game designer whose credits include BioWare (Mass Effect 2), Ubisoft, and Gameloft. At the center of this idea is a wheel, and when you spin it, the actions and story impacts influence the outcomes of the next spin. It sounds intriguing as hell, and Wheel of Fate is taking this idea to Kickstarter in mid-September.

UDX has already received funding from the Canadian government (along with putting CEO Daniel Vivona’s own cash into it), and CEO Vivona said in a phone interview that the studio would be seeking somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000 to make Wheel of Fate bigger. But even without Kickstarter, Vivona said UDX will put out the game. It’s looking for a publisher or other partner, and it plans to release Wheel of Fate one chapter at a time. Vivona got interested in game development as a modder for the original Neverwinter Nights, an RPG from BioWare that had an extensive toolset for community-created content.

Wheel of Fate takes place Providence. Fate is an actual god here, and the legions of Fateless (a threat from a thousand of years ago) are threatening your home of Kismet’s Falls (the naming isn’t subtle here).  All your adventures take place in this one town and a dungeon inside it (like a number of old-school RPGs), but this helps the AI do its work. It uses procedurally generated dungeons, and the choices you make help craft these labyrinths, the monsters inside, and the loot you find. You make choices with a wheel with branching decisions. If you pick the path of knowledge, the results will focus more on you learning something than, say, conflict, which may lead to a fight

It also features what UDX calls the Active Response Battle system, a turn-based combat scheme. It operates similar to battle systems from games like Grandia, in which an action gauge determines when you characters (and foes) execute their attacks, spells, and so on.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:47:32 PM
Fascinating.  Sounds like one to keep an eye on. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:00:18 PM
........good job its not 'Wheel of Time' or there would be a million expansions......................

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:03:25 PM
........good job its not 'Wheel of Time' or there would be a million expansions......................

and would never get finished

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:07:10 PM
^ROFL

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'