Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 102120 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #360 on: July 26, 2021, 12:08:19 AM
Sigh, right I give up - as a purchaser if 1.0 what is my vanilla game running at now and what do I need to make it awesome

Haha.  Not to sound cheeky, but I honestly recommend grabbing all of them at some point (though as usual, I also recommend waiting for a sale).   The 5 major expansions (Utopia, Apocalypse, MegaCorp, Federations, & Nemesis) and 4 story packs (Leviathans, Synthetic Dawn, Distant Stars, & Ancient Relics) all enhance the base game to a greater or lesser degree, via new features and/or content. 

The 4 species packs are admittedly more a case of YMMV, however.  (Humanoids are my personal favorite -- even though it doesn't currently include changes to gameplay -- largely for the additional advisor voices, which I found greatly improved my sense of immersion.)  Barring one of them having an especially strong appeal to you, they can easily be skipped.  It'll be interesting, though, to see how the species packs stack up against each other after the 3.1 "Lem" update this fall, as Lithoids & Necroids are getting spruced up, and Humanoids & Plantoids are (finally!) getting their own gameplay features added in. 

All that being said, this is my current "tier list" for Stellaris DLC.  It's slightly revised from what I posted a month or two ago.  (Note:  I do not own Necroids.)   

S.)  Utopia
A.)  Distant Stars, Apocalypse, Leviathans
B.)  Federations, Ancient Relics, Synthetic Dawn
C.)  MegaCorp, Humanoids
D.)  Nemesis, Lithoids
F.)  Plantoids

At the very least, I would grab Utopia and the DLC I've listed on A-tier.  I highly recommend picking up the ones on B-tier as well, although I realize that'd be a lot of DLC to purchase all at once.  :crazy2: 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #361 on: July 26, 2021, 03:33:25 AM
Turns out I’m not as vanilla as I thought - I have utopia, synthetic dawn, and leviathans

It’s £42 to get upto S A and B

Just need to weigh that up against any other games and we’re good to go

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #362 on: July 28, 2021, 09:44:14 PM
As a Stellaris newb, I can assure you I cannot tell what the DLC I have adds to the game or what I am missing. Well I guess there was the galactic corporation trying to set up some sort of trading post or some such in my system. Pretty sure that happened because of the Megacorps DLC.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #363 on: July 29, 2021, 03:11:09 AM
You would be correct, sir! 

On a related note:  If one of the star nations in your game should ever happen to be a Criminal Syndicate, kill it with extreme prejudice.  Burn the galaxy to the ground, if that's what it takes.  :kling: 

ojsdad

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
Reply #364 on: July 29, 2021, 09:38:44 AM
Or, play a gesalt empire and not have trade to worry about.   8)

Here at ACD, we all pee the same color.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #365 on: July 29, 2021, 05:59:44 PM
I am thinking I need to play as a machine empire in my next game.  I haven't played as robots in forever, and not at all since 3.0/Nemesis dropped. 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #366 on: July 29, 2021, 07:08:42 PM
Martokanoids? Mechanartoks?

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #367 on: July 30, 2021, 01:41:49 AM
Martokanoids?

Brilliant, yet slightly demented.  I think we have a winner.  :D 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #368 on: July 30, 2021, 04:27:09 AM
Brilliant 🤩

Anguille

• Jr Lancer
Reply #369 on: August 03, 2021, 08:20:26 AM
As a Stellaris newb, I can assure you I cannot tell what the DLC I have adds to the game or what I am missing.
Yep, it's not very obvious. I mostly notice the new sounds (voices) and music.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #370 on: August 03, 2021, 03:04:41 PM
I will say that while I'm not overly impressed with the amount of content Nemesis adds to the game, the additional soundtrack pieces are fantastic.  It's the first DLC since Distant Stars where I've actually enjoyed the new music.  (I can't stand the tracks added by MegaCorps and Federations, even if they are thematically appropriate.) 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #371 on: August 05, 2021, 08:07:22 PM
Now that summer vacations are starting to wrap up, the dev diaries are back.  This one looks at the changes to Plantoids gameplay in the upcoming Lem update. 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-218-plantoids-gameplay.1484906/

TL;DR:  The devs are adding 3 race-specific traits (you have to be Plantoid or Fungoid) -- Phototropic, Radiotropic, and Budding.  They're also adding 2 new civics -- 1 of which (Catalytic Processing) will be available to all empires, while the other (Idyllic Bloom) is a race-specific "origin" civic. 

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed that Plantoids aren't getting a unique/inherent racial ability like the Lithoids do, but this is still a definite improvement over before...which was nothing. 

Bison

• Corporal
Reply #372 on: August 06, 2021, 08:11:12 PM
So if they are attached to a tree for life benefits how are they a space faring species? Hmm...I would rather have a space mouse species spreading pestilence and droppings across the galaxy.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #373 on: August 06, 2021, 09:47:51 PM
Oh dear.  Another one lost to the Vermintide... 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #374 on: August 12, 2021, 01:56:18 PM
Dev Diary #219 takes a look at the rework coming to Traditions.  Of all the content & changes coming in the Lem update, this is probably the "meatiest", and the one I'm personally looking forward to the most . 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-219-selectable-traditions.1485675/

The highlights: 

1.)  Players will be able to select which Tradition Trees they want to adopt; they're no longer locked into the usual seven like they are currently. 

2.)  Towards that end, certain Tradition Trees that used to be "swaps" for other trees (such as Adaptability for Diplomacy) are now their own Tradition Trees. 

3.)  Also towards that end, a new Tradition Tree (Mercantile) is being added to the base game, while two more Tradition Trees (Unyielding and Subterfuge) are being added to the Nemesis DLC. 

4.)  Some of the Tradition Trees have been tweaked/revamped a bit. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:39:40 PM by Martok »