Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 100379 times)

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #390 on: September 15, 2021, 09:44:26 AM
Well, we can read about the update ourselves or simply await Martok's analysis. I'll go with the latter   8)  Get busy, my friend!

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #391 on: September 15, 2021, 11:23:58 AM
It's Martok and a 4X sci-fi themed game.  Are you expecting anything other than SQUEEEEEE!!!!!! and the disturbing sound of his thighs squirming together in delight?

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #392 on: September 15, 2021, 01:50:39 PM
and the disturbing sound of his thighs squirming together in delight?

I'll defer to your obvious experienced auditorial expertise on this one  :whistle:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #393 on: September 15, 2021, 04:15:05 PM
Well, we can read about the update ourselves or simply await Martok's analysis. I'll go with the latter   8)  Get busy, my friend!

Ha, I'm working on it! 

Here's my current (short) take:  I'm liking the changes & improvements so far.  However, it's also a bit buggy right now, more than what I usually notice after a major update.  Unless you're really into the game like I am, I recommend waiting for the hotfix patch.  :) 

and the disturbing sound of his thighs squirming together in delight?

I'll defer to your obvious experienced auditorial expertise on this one  :whistle:

Indeed; I don't want to know how he knows this.  (Granted, he's not wrong, but still.)  :P 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #394 on: September 15, 2021, 07:11:11 PM
I was your first OnlyFans subscriber! You told me I was special!!!!!    :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:55:58 PM by Silent Disapproval Robot »

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #395 on: September 15, 2021, 07:48:09 PM

This  :notworthy:

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #396 on: September 15, 2021, 09:19:42 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.  I'll do my best.  8) 

I was for first OnlyFans subscriber! You told me I was special!!!!!    :'( :'( :'(

I...may have fibbed a bit about you being my first subscriber.  Still love you, though!  :-* 

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #397 on: September 15, 2021, 10:14:29 PM
Martok, you have an OnlyFans account? Pretty sure I don't want the link, brother   :bigthumb:

Somewhere, somehow, I woke up in the wrong timeline. I'm pretty sure this isn't even my dimension.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #398 on: September 16, 2021, 06:16:01 AM
Don't worry.  I'm pretty sure you couldn't afford me anyway.  :biggrin: 

bbmike

• Warrant Officer
  • Lance Sergeant
    • My Own Worst Enemy
Reply #399 on: September 16, 2021, 08:06:23 AM
 ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

My Own Worst Enemy

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #400 on: September 16, 2021, 09:22:41 AM

bayonetbrant

• Arrogance Mitigator & Event "Organizer"
  • Administrator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Going mad, but at least going somewhere
    • Six Degrees of Radio
Reply #401 on: September 16, 2021, 09:44:03 AM

I mean, I get that Steelie's retired, and his wife keeps a close eye on the money, but I gotta believe that even he could chisel loose $1.83 somewhere, no?  :dreamer:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++

Random acts of genius and other inspirations of applied violence.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Six Degrees of Radio for songs you should know by artists you should love

Steelie

• Corporal
Reply #402 on: September 16, 2021, 10:42:50 AM
I dunno....I searched under our couch cushions and all I found were a bunch of Nerf bullets from my grandsons   8)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #403 on: September 17, 2021, 01:04:18 AM
 ;D

As might be expected, today's dev diary is unremarkable.  It's just a thank-you to the community, along with noting that they're looking at which bugs & exploits to fix/include in the next hotfix patch, which they're starting to work on. 

Of perhaps greater interest is the transcript from this week's Discord Q&A session.  I've included some of the (hopefully) more interesting/notable bits: 

Q: Are there any plans to change the way ship-experience works? In the current system ships get 100 starting xp if the fleet academy starbase-building is built on the shipyard and then 1 xp per day in battle. I myself cannot say to ever have seen a ship that made it to the Veteran rank at 1000xp (900 days in actual combat! (and that's just the second rank out of 3, the last one is 10.000!)). In my opinion it is time to add more ways to earn ship-xp , like for example the ability to "drill" your ships, or to significantly decrease the xp requirements to get these boni.

A: All experience and especially ship experience work in pretty unintuitive ways currently and is something we are discussing at internally.

Q: Any chance of a defense platform rework? They're too expensive early-game, and too fragile late-game. Also, can we get a tab in the Fleet Manager for mass-management, ie showing Starbases as "fleets" where we can queue, build/reinforce, and upgrade platforms across the empire from one screen?

A: There's certainly a chance of it at some point! I (and I think most people on the design team) would agree with your analysis there, so it's on the radar for the Custodians in general, but so are a lot of things, so no promises at all on when.

Q: how is the current status of the planned empire sprawl overhaul? Can we expect it to drop in the next update in 3 months, does it need a lot more polishing, or was the idea thrown out?

A: We are actively working on it, but its a massive change, that will require a lot of balancing and testing, don't expect it with the next release after Lem

Q: are there already plans for what to tackle in the next custodian update or does it remain to be seen? Similarly can we expect to see the next one around December/januaryish since that would be 3 months from now

A: Of course, we always have plans and tasks for future updates, though they're not set in stone. Current plan for the next update is november-ish, though it is not going to be as big Lem

Q: Playing tall is kind of pointless now, since anything you could do tall, you could do better with another planet or system. Are there any plans to add more viability to tall gameplay? Whether as part of a future DLC, or maybe Custodian content to a previous DLC (Megacorp perhaps)?

A: It is something we are considering with the experiments on Empire Sprawl and Unity, which, again, is further in the future and not guaranteed to solve the problem, but again, its something we are aware of, see it as an issue (to a degree) and want to solve (without making expanding a bad choice either)

Q: If you could click you fingers and instantly change anything in Stellaris with zero dev / design work, what would you change?

A: I would love to change the fleet manager and the way we manage fleets.

Q: is there a plan to change the way empire sprawl affects research/unity? at the moment it is possible to just un-employ/re-employ bureaucrats when a tech is about to be finished our a tradition is about to be picked. It would be less exploitable if sprawl would directly affect research/unity output

A: Yes, as mentioned in dev diary #215 we are discussing a more spicy rework of unity and empire sprawl in the future.

Q: Are Democracies going to improved?

A: We are not happy with how mandates works and it could probably be a good thing for the custodians to look at.

Q: Do you think the upcoming changes to Unity will make Spiritualists viable, or will they still be outclassed by Meritocratic Technocrats?

A: Spiritualist being a competitive and engaging choice is the goal. And thanks to the Custodians modus operandi, we hope to work on it until that is achieved.

Q: Any plans to go into Crime and Piracy more and make them effect each other, or is that more of an Expansion team thing?

A: I would certainly like to work on Crime and Piracy, to make them more engaging and that engagement more rewarding, but that would require a pretty massive rework and would be far off, since it would require several patch-cycles worth of development but...the desire is there, thats all I can say for now.

Q: Will there be any more species DLCs a la the Necroids and Plantoids?

A: YES!

Q: Do you have any plans to add new Operations or otherwise adjust espionage? Right now, the active part of the system seems extremely underwhelming and not really worth the brain cycles to use, while the passive intel gathering is useful. Maybe allowing the user to be more particular in the effects of Operations? Say, like stealing specific techs or spawning pirates on particular systems? This wouldn't be very frustrating for the player to play against, but would be satisfying to do.

A: Custodians are always looking at previous systems and trying to figure out how to improve them. Personally, I'd love to see more espionage operations and more options for it (and proposing them) as well. The downsides are, as you mentioned, possibility of frustrating the player, bad UI / UX experience (imagine scrolling through all the technologies an empire has!), having the AI use the system properly etc.

Q: Can you make spiritualists more balanced against materialists by at least giving them +1 edict cap per level, so normal ones have +1 and fanatics +2 ?

A: The balance between materialists and spiritualists is a commonly reoccurring topic. We've never managed to quite nail what spiritualist gameplay should be, but Unity and maintaining a cohesive civilization are concepts that would make sense for spiritualists.

(Yes, I edited this down *massively* from the original transcript, believe it or not.  The original was about thirty pages long.) 

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #404 on: September 17, 2021, 02:21:21 AM
I read there’s an exploit with new clone choice and two more start up choices that lead to a 90% increase in shot speed I think it was - I’m guessing terrible in MP great in single player