Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Origins Game Fair 2024 – featuring the Wargame HQ with the Armchair Dragoons – will be held 19-23 June, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Song of Blades and Heroes family  (Read 4195 times)

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
on: August 15, 2020, 09:25:09 PM
Anybody else here play anything using the various incarnations of the Song of Blades and Heroes system. It has some peculiarities that really turn some people off, but I have a such a great time with it.
I've run modern horror, classic fantasy, Star Wars, realistic and fantasy Vikings, Napoleonics, post apocalyptic mutants, Kaiju monsters, spaceship battles, 17th century center of the earth exploration and BYOM pickup games at conventions (not all at once, that would be just crazy!)
If anyone wishes to chat/ask question about the game, I'd be glad to. I don't have any professional connection with Ganesha games, but I did win 2nd place in their continent naming contest! I'm just a huge fan and looking for an outlet.

- Marc

- Marc

JasonPratt

• Lancer
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 08:26:15 AM
.....okay, part of me now wants to set up a "modern horror, classic fantasy, Star Wars, realistic and fantasy Vikings, Napoleonics, post apocalyptic mutants, Kaiju monsters, spaceship battles, 17th century center of the earth exploration" RPG or strategy game.

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
  • Hang on, let me overthink this.
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:47:05 AM
Anybody else here play anything using the various incarnations of the Song of Blades and Heroes system. It has some peculiarities that really turn some people off, but I have a such a great time with it.

I never heard of it before now. I poked around the Internet for a couple minutes and found a great explanation of it over at Tabletop Minions. It appears to be a very versatile system, allowing you to play skirmish games or to use the combat system for role playing games, correct? Atom over at TM only talked about the skirmish part of the system; however from your description it seems well suited to rpgs too.

In some ways it reminds me of Games Workshop's Mordheim. Any similarities? If you play a mini campaign how do the figures/profiles improve with experience? Does their quality and combat stats get better? Better equipment, or changes to their traits?

What are the peculiarities that some people don't like? I didn't find any negative comment about the system in my quick search.

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:44:38 PM
The part many have an issue with is the “push your luck” activation component. For each figure you can roll 1, 2 or 3 dice. The number of successes equals the number of activations, but if you roll two or more failures, your entire turn ends regardless of how many models you have left to activate (called a turnover). I think it does a great job of mimicking a “slow but safe” approach where everybody can act but only in a measured fashion vs. a “fast but reckless” approach where a misstep can throw off the tempo of the  whole squad, causing them to become temporarily ineffective.  Usually people who complain throw caution to the wind and go full bore three dice until they get a turnover and then complain that it’s not realistic.

Also there is very little bookkeeping. Figures are standing, down, or dead (with a few exceptions).

- Marc

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:45:52 PM
.....okay, part of me now wants to set up a "modern horror, classic fantasy, Star Wars, realistic and fantasy Vikings, Napoleonics, post apocalyptic mutants, Kaiju monsters, spaceship battles, 17th century center of the earth exploration" RPG or strategy game.

No! This way lies madness!

- Marc

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 09:48:10 PM

I never heard of it before now. I poked around the Internet for a couple minutes and found a great explanation of it over at Tabletop Minions. It appears to be a very versatile system, allowing you to play skirmish games or to use the combat system for role playing games, correct? Atom over at TM only talked about the skirmish part of the system; however from your description it seems well suited to rpgs too.

In some ways it reminds me of Games Workshop's Mordheim. Any similarities? If you play a mini campaign how do the figures/profiles improve with experience? Does their quality and combat stats get better? Better equipment, or changes to their traits?

What are the peculiarities that some people don't like? I didn't find any negative comment about the system in my quick search.

There are some war and advances in one of the campaign supplements, but I’ll admit I haven’t really done much more than a few games in a row. Too much gamer ADD, I guess.

- Marc

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 09:49:59 PM
I have a copy of Mordheim, but haven’t really read it. Many years ago, someone did a conversion of a bunch of Mordheim scenarios to SBH, but I think it got taken down.

- Marc

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 12:33:52 AM
The part many have an issue with is the “push your luck” activation component. For each figure you can roll 1, 2 or 3 dice. The number of successes equals the number of activations, but if you roll two or more failures, your entire turn ends regardless of how many models you have left to activate (called a turnover). I think it does a great job of mimicking a “slow but safe” approach where everybody can act but only in a measured fashion vs. a “fast but reckless” approach where a misstep can throw off the tempo of the  whole squad, causing them to become temporarily ineffective.  Usually people who complain throw caution to the wind and go full bore three dice until they get a turnover and then complain that it’s not realistic.

Also there is very little bookkeeping. Figures are standing, down, or dead (with a few exceptions).

This sounds like a very cool system. It seems the best way to manage this system is, assess the situation and then move and perform tasks with the figures that don't need three activation points  by rolling one or two dice. (Yes, with two dice you can still roll two failures ending your turn.) Then, save the figures which need 3 dice for the end. If you roll two failures before you activate all your figures, it won't be too bad. Hopefully!  ;)

I'm all in favor for as little bookkeeping as possible, that is a major bonus.  :2thumbs:

Tolstoi

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lancer
    • Alek Tolstoi
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 12:38:33 AM
I have a copy of Mordheim, but haven’t really read it. Many years ago, someone did a conversion of a bunch of Mordheim scenarios to SBH, but I think it got taken down.

It has been about a decade since I last played Mordhiem. I remember creating a small group based upon points. Each figure had a movement range and combat ability. There was also an ability to doge an attack. I think it was called "step aside"? Anyway, it was fun. SoB&H seems easier and just as much fun. Thanks for bringing this up in the forums so I could learn about it. Now all I need is to find the time to try and play it...  :dreamer:

Marc Gacy

• Jr. Trooper
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 06:28:56 PM
I do have my Song of Drums and Shakos scenario on Roll20 that I’d be willing to do again.

- Marc