Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Mass Effect: Legendary Edition  (Read 12981 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: February 03, 2021, 08:49:24 AM
I confess I've never played the series.  This looks damn good, though. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:01:17 AM
I was into it for a bit...can't remember why I gave up on it - but it was a pretty solid space shooter iirc

I will be picking this up

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 09:15:24 AM
The entire series is absolute outstanding story-telling. Stick with it and you'll get an eminently satisfying experience across all three. The build-up is a slow burn in any of the three titles, especially in the first one when you have no idea what's going on, but it pays off big time.

The choices you make in ME1 carry over to ME2, and the choices you make there carry over to ME3. There's a lot of character development - you can get to know your squad mates well (even 'closely' in some cases, nudge nudge), and take on missions pertaining to them to increase their loyalty and unlock talents, as well as story plot points you wouldn't otherwise see.

ME3 caught some flak upon release for having an awful ending, but I didn't think it was that bad. A little unsatisfying considering the massive marathon I'd been put through over all three titles, but still, the choices available were understandable given the storyline. Still, EA ended up doing a massive patch to ME3 to 'fix' these concerns people had. I never played ME3 to that point so I don't know how those end choices changed.

I've played them numerous times - in fact I was re-playing ME1 and ME2 late last year. I'd intended to go into ME3 fresh to see what those new endings offered.

I'll be having this at some point, I'm sure.

============================================

Solosaurus Podcast: https://solosaurus.libsyn.com/
(includes Solosaurus Plays)

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 09:58:10 AM
I'm consistently useless at shoot-em-up type games :-(

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

Barthheart

• Patreon Supporters
  • Sergeant
  • Retired curmudgeon
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:18:38 AM
Me too... but if this has a super easy mode I might get it for the story.

PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:20:10 PM
Me too... but if this has a super easy mode I might get it for the story.

I believe you can change the difficulty levels.

I used to despise shoot-em-up FPS type games, but HALO changed that in me. I still don't lean towards them and definitely don't do online play (not since some of us old folks rocked Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam online, oh so many years ago). I've played CoD and a few others, but only because the storyline was engaging and not just mindless blow-sh*t-up kind of play for the sake of blowing sh*t up. :)

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 12:54:37 PM
I never played any of the Mass Effect games either. Is there any space combat? Even if there isn't I was planning on getting this to finally try it out.

Always do what you feel is best.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 02:30:45 PM
No space combat, no. Solely ground combat. Your character (Commander Shephard) is accompanied by two others in your squad. You (usually) get to select which ones you want to take with you on missions.

The UI is somewhat archaic in the ME1 version, but improves with ME2 and 3. Makes me wonder if they're making any changes to it to make it more universal across the series.

Silent Disapproval Robot

• Lancer
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 05:17:21 PM
Episode 1 = great!

Episode 2 = OK

Episode 3 = hot garbage.

No space combat.  Episode 1 has a ground vehicle you get to bomb around in to explore and shoot up the occasional giant worm thingie.  Most people despised this section but I thought it was a lot of fun.  Especially using thrusters on low gravity worlds and seeing how far you could jump your buggy.  They removed this component for eps 2 and 3 and replaced it with a far less enjoyable sector scanning mini game.

The big selling point of the series was that it was "choices matter!" and that the end game outcome would reflect the choices you'd made during the campaign.  Sadly, it proved to be mostly a lie as you basically had to choose one of three options at the finale and your actions previously had almost no effect on your options.

BanzaiCat

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Puns Puns Puns Puns
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 07:22:32 PM
So that patch they released had no effect ultimately on ME3's ending(s)?

blackndecker

• Patreon Supporters
  • Jr. Trooper
Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:18 PM
Great series. The final options for ME3 didn't bother me too much, given that they had to create a decision for the players to make, a la ME2. It also didn't bother me because I knew how closely they series drew inspiration from the Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series... Sadly, ME:A got such a negative reaction that they didn't complete any of the DLCs. Hopefully ME4/5 will deliver...

"Dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today."

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 10:36:25 PM
Hopefully ME4/5 will deliver...

For the sake of the gaming community, I hope so as well, but I'm skeptical.  Bioware today seems to be only a shadow of its former self. 

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

judgedredd

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 01:35:25 PM
I bought this last night on a whim, pre-installed it, then deleted it and asked for a refund.

I couldn't put my finger on why I didn't play the previous games more than I did and I remembered why. Chat. I really, really don't like games with chat options. What's really more annoying to me is chat options that lead into further chat options and so you head down a rabbit hole.

I know that's a harsh criticism. Developers get slated for making games on rails and when they do give options, people like me are meh about it.

I'm currently playing Horizon:Zero Dawn and it's that that reminded me because it does the same. Chat that's just too many options and just too long. I absolutely love a story in my game - but I don't want War and Peace.

Also - I have Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 - so I can play those. This is 4K and I don't have a 4k compatible monitor.

I'd still like to hear people's opinions if anyone is getting it mind

mirth

• Cardboard Mohel
  • Lance Sergeant
    • Armchair Dragoons
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 02:09:38 PM
I've never heard anyone complain about the game having too many dialogue choices. It's a hallmark of Bioware RPGs. KOTOR was renowned for the story choices. It's generally considered a major strength of Bioware games. Anyway, I think the settings give you an option for action over story. I was always interested in the story so I didn't feel a need to dial it back. I like a role-playing element in my RPGs.

I love the series. I have all the games and pretty much all the DLC for Xbox. I have Legendary Edition coming. I don't really care about 4K graphics, but I am looking forward to the game tweaks. Anything that improves the shitty driving controls of the goddamn Mako will be welcome.

I played the original ME series through to completion twice. I've never played another series multiple times. There's hundreds of hours of gaming in ME even if you're not an uber-completionist.
The first game was absolutely epic. It had a real cinematic quality that I loved. The rest of the series is also excellent if a little uneven at times. Some of the side quests are bland and redundant. The final act of ME3 was heavily criticized, but I was okay with it. I was ready for an ending at that point.

I'm looking forward to another play with Legendary Edition and finding my favorite shop on the Citadel.

Being able to Google shit better than your clients is a legit career skill.

bob48

• Smeghead.
  • Warrant Officer
  • Lead Sergeant
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
It certainly looks impressive and very polished.

“O Lord God, let me not be disgraced in my old days.”

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'