Armchair Dragoons Forums

News:

• Connections Online 2024 will be held 15-20 April, 2024 ~~ More Info here
  • Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

News

Buckeye Game Fest will be held May 2-5, 2024, with The War Room opening on 29 April ~~ More Info here

Author Topic: Warhammer 3!  (Read 39875 times)

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
on: February 03, 2021, 11:57:01 PM
For those of us who are into the series, I imagine we've already watched it, but just for good measure :D

"I like big maps and I cannot lie." - Barthheart

"I drastically overpaid for this existence." - bbmike

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 12:04:06 AM
Definitely psyched for this one! 

I've been looking forward to Kislev for a while now (they've pretty much been considered a shoe-in for one of the factions).  Can't wait to see what their roster can do; bring on the Bear Cavalry! 

Grand Cathay is definitely a pleasant surprise, though a sensible choice when one considers it.  Just 1 "good" empire to fight off all the Chaos powers would have been terribly lop-sided, whereas 2 is much better balanced.  And from what admittedly little I know of the lore, Cathay was the most obvious choice for that 2nd empire.  I just hope they have dragons on their roster.  8) 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:37:39 AM
Both of those factions make this installment of the series the most interesting to me.

Always do what you feel is best.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 11:29:46 AM
I had a feeling that if any one faction (aside from the Dwarfs) was going to pique your interest, Russia Kislev would be it.  ;) 

I'm very curious to see what Cathay will look like in the game, and how they play.  I'm especially interested to see how CA differentiates them from the various factions in Three Kingdoms (since Cathay is obviously based on China, at least loosely). 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:28:25 PM
Cathay also interests me greatly...even though I have not played Three Kingdoms yet. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that Cathay will be quite reminiscent of Three Kingdoms' factions.

Quite.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 07:17:14 PM
Do we know what they’ve done engine wise otherwise this is just dlc add  ons?

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 08:33:57 PM
So I guess I should just wait for this to jump into the series?

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 08:43:19 PM
The first two games never really grabbed me. I've played a bunch of both but never came away feeling really satisfied as a WH noob. These two new factions grab me though.

thecommandtent

• Patreon Supporters
  • Corporal
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:23 PM
The first two games never really grabbed me. I've played a bunch of both but never came away feeling really satisfied as a WH noob. These two new factions grab me though.

I'm definitely a WH noob as well but I've heard good things about WHII and wonder if I should play that first or just hold out for the new version.

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 02:37:27 PM
Do we know what they’ve done engine wise otherwise this is just dlc add  ons?

Nothing specific that I'm aware of.  CA obviously knows they're going to have to a much better job of optimization this time around, especially after they proved with 3K and Troy that they could do a decent job of it (not to mention the expanded Mortal Empires campaign will badly need all the help it can get in that regard).  And according to this article, it sounds like Warhammer 3's campaign map alone will be around twice the size of WH2's.  :o 

Martok

• Patreon Supporters
  • Lance Sergeant
  • Tilting at windmills
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:44 PM
So I guess I should just wait for this to jump into the series?

I'm definitely a WH noob as well but I've heard good things about WHII and wonder if I should play that first or just hold out for the new version.

The answer to that is going to depend on a number of factors.  The short, oversimplified version, however, is that yes, you probably want to wait for WH3 at this point. 

As enjoyable as Warhammer 2 is, it also suffers from a number of issues, including crappy siege battles and absurdly long loading times (due to poor optimization) -- issues that WH3 is expected to address.  When you add in that Warhammer 3 is also going to have more playable factions at the start (6 instead of the usual 4), more features and interesting mechanics, a *much* larger campaign map, and-who-knows-what-else, at this point it makes more to sense to just wait. 

The caveat to all this is the Mortal Empires campaign:  If you only own Warhammer 3, you'll need to go and purchase both WH1 & WH2 to have access to it. 

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 04:46:37 PM
I don't think I ever played a siege in either WH1 or WH2 because of the bad rap they get.

And I love me some fantasy/medieval/Renaissance PC gaming sieges. I feel like we all missed out on that.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 05:03:39 PM
Enemy gathers on walls

Player fires artillery at walls to make a gap

Rush the gap

Head to the market square

To be fair I’m not sure how else they can represent it

Gusington

• Lancer
Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 08:40:38 PM
Clearly they don’t know either. They just felt more dynamic and exciting circa Medieval 2.

Undercovergeek

• Sergeant
Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 08:45:28 PM
Was always a fan of sappers in Rome tw